cat behavior - suckels

Old May 11th 05, 12:13 AM

Default cat behavior - suckels

I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female cat who was tossed around to several
different homes all across the country. I've never had such a cat
before. She follows you around all over the house and never wants you
out of her sight. When I leave for work in the morning she cries at the
door "meeeeoooooooooooowwwwwwww" like crazy.

The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
(stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
you call her name).

Any idea why she would be doing this?

Old May 12th 05, 06:10 PM
Fritti Fritti is offline
Member

Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via Yahoo to Fritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female cat who was tossed around to several
different homes all across the country. I've never had such a cat
before. She follows you around all over the house and never wants you
out of her sight. When I leave for work in the morning she cries at the
door "meeeeoooooooooooowwwwwwww" like crazy.

The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
(stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
you call her name).

Any idea why she would be doing this?
Yes, she sees you as her surrogate mother. She's just comforting herself in the best way possible: by doing to you what she would have done to her mother. If you want her to stop it, push her away and say "no" firmly (but frankly, I personally don't understand why you want a cat to stop doing that, I LOVE it when some of mine do it to me). Also, she's still young, she'll probably grow over it (or maybe not, heh). In any way, she's doing that because she really feels at easy with you, and very much enjoys being with you. Feel proud!
Purrs,
Fritti and his gang.