Moving with cats

Old June 9th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
saffron

Default Moving with cats

We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
thanks.
Nanette

Old June 9th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

saffron wrote in news:1181344574.687260.271410
@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
thanks.
Nanette

It depends on each cat. I've had some who hide under the bed for 3 days,
only coming out at night to eat and use the litter box, and I've had others
who just love to explore every nook and settle in right away.

In the case of the one who hides, let him/her come out when ready, giving
lots of sweet talking and petting if you're able to reach the cat where it
is hiding. Try and minimize the noise and commotion near that cat.

Bobble

--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old June 9th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

saffron wrote:
We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?

Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.

She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
carrier.

It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
did her.

thanks.
Nanette

Old June 9th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
saffron

On Jun 9, 12:02 am, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:
saffron wrote:
We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?

Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.

She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
carrier.

It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
did her.

thanks.
Nanette

Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
Any suggestions about that?

Old June 9th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RunningScissors

saffron wrote:

We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?

Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.

She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
carrier.

It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
did her.

thanks.
Nanette

Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
Any suggestions about that?

Convert them to indoors only cats.
Old June 9th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Cats do have a way of bolting and disappearing which is why I've never let
my cats run around outside. My cat either goes out on the fenced in deck or
goes out in the front on a leash.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 9th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

YES,,,,don't let them out. Chances are they will try and cross country and
return home. Cats are 100% safer being kept inside. They may fuss and
carry on for a while but will get used to it.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old June 9th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
saffron

On Jun 9, 11:18 am, "Spot" wrote:
YES,,,,don't let them out. Chances are they will try and cross country and
return home. Cats are 100% safer being kept inside. They may fuss and
carry on for a while but will get used to it.

Celeste

oups.com...

saffron wrote:
We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?

Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.

She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
carrier.

It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
did her.

thanks.
Nanette

Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
Any suggestions about that?

I plan to try a leash until they've marked their territory and feel
comfortable in the new environment.

Old June 9th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

saffron wrote:

Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
Any suggestions about that?

Yeah - don't, because that's is what they will do.

-mhd
Old June 10th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
reeper[_2_]

wrote in message
Yeah - don't, because that's is what they will do.

yeah, they're not too bright sometimes

actually, barring the scent of a woman, I think cats prefer to stay indoors.

they want to go out when... the litter box is full, when the food is
mediocre, when it's too cold or hot...