Grass in butt

Old September 14th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Grass in butt

It's always something. Meep had been a bit constipated, but finally
passed something last night.

Just a little bit ago, she went to the litterbox, and when she came out,
I could see something on her butt. Didn't even think, 'cause there's no
possibility she'd have eaten string... grabbed her and some TP, thinking
the gunky thing was just a string of icky poop or something. Well, it
turns out to have been a long piece of grass (coated in nasty grey poop)!

Now, it came out very easily, and there was only an inch or two actually
inside her butt, but she's showing a bit of discomfort - she sits down
but walks like her butt hurts a bit. That's not so abnormal for people
who've had a troublesome BM, so I'd assume it was the same for cats.

Still, I worry. If she's still tender in the AM I'll call the vet.
With the ease the bit of grass came out and the small amount that was
inside, should I worry? Should I call the emergency vet? It's just
before 9pm here.

jmc
Old September 14th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (9/14/2007 8:46 PM):
[...]

Replying to myself. I know, bad form. She's OK now I think, had dinner
and moving more normally now. Imagine her butt's still a bit sore.
I'll call the vet tomorrow anyway, and keep an eye over her the next
couple of days.

Has anybody with a grass-obsessed cat had this happen before? It was a
pretty long bit of grass, all told, I'd have thought it would be digested...

jmc
Old September 14th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl[_2_]

MR. Bonkers is also a grass obsessed cat. And like you I have also had to
pull grass from his butt, Never more than an inch. HE has never had any ill
effects that I could see. On the plus side, I never have to worry about him
escaping the house, IF he bolts out the door, the first blade of grass stops
him dead in his tracks.
Yes, he also has a flower pot of "Cat Grass" sitting in his favorite window
(new pot every week). He can mow it down in an hour

Old September 14th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 14 Sep, 12:16, jmc wrote:
[...]

Both Biffy & Tiggy have a taste for grass. Open the door, or put them
out in the pen, & the pair of them sit there literally mowing the
grass down. I think all cats do it if they feel a little constipated.
I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
grass.
Cleaning up after a icky bum can be a bit horrid, but no different to
baby bum's. Actually, I use baby wipes to clear up after a messy one.
Unless there are any other side effects, I don't think I would worry
too much about it.
Sheelagh *o*

Old September 14th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
grass.

Its actually desirable for them to eat grass. We keep a pot of it in
the house. (indoor cats)

Old September 15th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm certainly unaware of any "No No's" surrounding the eating of
grass.

Its actually desirable for them to eat grass. We keep a pot of it in
the house. (indoor cats)

I think it is desirable as long as you donlt PULL the GRASS out of their
BUTTS!

Old September 15th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmagerl exclaimed (9/15/2007 12:02 AM):
MR. Bonkers is also a grass obsessed cat. And like you I have also had to
pull grass from his butt, Never more than an inch. HE has never had any ill
effects that I could see. On the plus side, I never have to worry about him
escaping the house, IF he bolts out the door, the first blade of grass stops
him dead in his tracks.
Yes, he also has a flower pot of "Cat Grass" sitting in his favorite window
(new pot every week). He can mow it down in an hour

lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
saw-edged; I've planted a bit of lawn with "softer" grass but she
doesn't seem as interested in it.

jmc
Old September 15th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote

lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
saw-edged

This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... No wonder
his hiney is sore.

Old September 15th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote in message

"jmc" wrote

lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
saw-edged

This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... No wonder
his hiney is sore.

Damn. I killed the "Grass in Butt" thread.

lol

Old September 15th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (9/15/2007 11:30 AM):
"jmc" wrote
lol, sounds like Meep. I worry a bit 'cause the grass here is rather
saw-edged

This is a very good reason not to pull it out of his butt ... No wonder
his hiney is sore.

Hitler? Where? I don't see him!

Oh, and Meep's a She. Butt she's fine today, in fact I think I need to
go clean the litterbox again.

jmc
(yes, that was intentional)

She won't eat the cat grass! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 9 May 1st 06 06:58 PM
Cat grass sarah Cat health & behaviour 2 December 16th 04 05:47 PM
Cat and cat grass Paul O. Cat health & behaviour 29 September 20th 04 11:11 PM
cat grass andr0meda Cat health & behaviour 12 August 30th 04 12:47 PM
Cat Grass Rachel Cat health & behaviour 21 September 18th 03 12:00 AM