out of control drooling

Old October 14th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default out of control drooling

my cat shatner has been drooling out of one side of his mouth like CRAZY.
it's like there's a hole in the side of his face the way he drools (not
really though). his leg that he rests his head on is soaking all the time.

this started about a week ago. he went to the vet a couple days ago for a
thyroid test but she did see that he was very drooly and said nothing about
it.

he's lost a little over 1 pound in the last couple months (she did the
thyroid test for that reason - came back totally normal).

his teeth seem fine - he's an indoor cat.

any ideas?

Old October 15th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote
his teeth seem fine - he's an indoor cat.

Did you decide that his teeth "seem fine" or did your vet?

If I had a vet that did not address excessive drooling I would
change vets. Unless of course you did not mention that he does
that all the time, and not just at the vets. (One of my cats drools
when she is afraid, aka, when she is at the vet.)

Old October 15th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

the shat man's drool has gotten a bit thicker in my opinion - that said I
called today and talked to my vet - she's going to see him on wednesday.

more and more I've realized that the answers to all health questions is -
call the vet.

I'll keep you updated.

Old October 15th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
the shat man's drool has gotten a bit thicker in my opinion - that said I
called today and talked to my vet - she's going to see him on wednesday.

more and more I've realized that the answers to all health questions is -
call the vet.

I'll keep you updated.

Cool. I bet your boy needs a tooth pulled. Poor baby.

Old October 15th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 15, 12:30 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote:
the shat man's drool has gotten a bit thicker in my opinion - that said I
called today and talked to my vet - she's going to see him on wednesday.

more and more I've realized that the answers to all health questions is -
call the vet.

I'll keep you updated.

I'm glad he's going in. You didn't mention his age but it's possible
his teeth hurt and he's not eating as well and therefor losing weight.
Have the vet look for any growths/sores in his mouth, and test him for
diabetes as a precaution.

FYI, sometimes older cats drool when they are happy, but it's not
related to weight loss. My late cat, Berries, drooled profusely in her
old age, but she was otherwise healthy.

Old October 17th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

in case anyone is interested...as you know my guy has an appointment tomorrow
with our vet...but I just got home form a late meeting at 11 p.m. and the
side of shatner's mouth is all brown. no more drooling...just a giant
brownish circle around his mouth.

I feel like I'm too late - I just scoured the internet and everything I read
says something about burst absesses - I fee like such a bad mother - I made
an appointment but clearly didn't realize that this was really bad and
thought that waiting 48 hours for an appointment was going to be fine.

he didn't seem like he was in pain...no moaning like he did when he had
urinary crystals. - plus he had his dental work done 6 months ago - I just
didn't think it was a tooth thing...obviously I'm taking him in first thing
in the morning - as soon as the vet gets into the office - but sadly I think
the worst (in terms of pain) is likely over for shatner...and I was too late.
my poor little guy.

I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

Old October 17th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 17, 12:13 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote:
in case anyone is interested...as you know my guy has an appointment tomorrow
with our vet...but I just got home form a late meeting at 11 p.m. and the
side of shatner's mouth is all brown. no more drooling...just a giant
brownish circle around his mouth.

I feel like I'm too late - I just scoured the internet and everything I read
says something about burst absesses - I fee like such a bad mother - I made
an appointment but clearly didn't realize that this was really bad and
thought that waiting 48 hours for an appointment was going to be fine.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. Take him in to the vet today and
explain everything that's happened. If it was an abcess, he/she will
most likely give antibiotics to prevent infection. It's worth a visit
anyway just to check him over and make sure everything else is ok.

I hope his appointment goes smoothly and that he's feeling better soon.

Old October 17th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'd blame the vet that did not even bother to look in his mouth
when he was drooling on the last visit.