Aaargh - busybody neighbor! :(

Old June 16th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Gender-neutral pronouns

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Christine BA" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have
different words for the same things and this does come up in quiz
questions occasionally. E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car
boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so what is the American term?
I am fairly sure I know them all. Answers on a postcard please
;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here
goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was
called something else in the US...

I think what they call a bumper is what we call a fender.

Joy

From what I can tell, what we (US) call a fender, they call a wing.

I've tried to look up bumper vs. fender and am only suceeded in
confusing myself.

Jo

Old June 16th 09, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Jofirey wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
"Christine BA" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have
different words for the same things and this does come up in quiz
questions occasionally. E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car
boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so what is the American term?
I am fairly sure I know them all. Answers on a postcard please
;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here
goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was
called something else in the US...

I think what they call a bumper is what we call a fender.

Joy

From what I can tell, what we (US) call a fender, they call a wing.

I've tried to look up bumper vs. fender and am only suceeded in
confusing myself.

Jo

The cars used to have fenders over the wheels. From what I have seen in
recent years, fenders appear to be a thing of the past. I'm no expert
on cars and do not keep up with the latest "styles". MLB
Old June 16th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On 2009-06-16, MLB wrote:
Jofirey wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
"Christine BA" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have
different words for the same things and this does come up in quiz
questions occasionally. E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car
boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so what is the American term?
I am fairly sure I know them all. Answers on a postcard please
;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here
goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was
called something else in the US...
I think what they call a bumper is what we call a fender.

Joy

From what I can tell, what we (US) call a fender, they call a wing.

I've tried to look up bumper vs. fender and am only suceeded in
confusing myself.

Jo

The cars used to have fenders over the wheels. From what I have seen in
recent years, fenders appear to be a thing of the past. I'm no expert
on cars and do not keep up with the latest "styles". MLB

If you needed to buy the part at a repair shop it would be called a
"quarter panel" on a full width auto body.

Bud

Old June 16th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

kirjoitti:
MLB wrote:

Christine BA wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

I might mean a difference to your British customer, so you
might need to pay attention to it.
I do pay attention to it with them, but when writing or
chatting casually, I don't that much think about it.

I would settle to know what "kirjoitti" means! Best wishes.
MLB

My guess would be "wrote" or "said" or something along those lines.

Yep, it's "wrote" in Finnish.

Hmmm. Wonder if that is where the English jot, and in let me jot that
down, rather than write that down comes from.

Strange, now that I wrote that, I realize jot is one of those words we
all use but one you almost never see written.

Jo

According to an online dictionary, jot comes from the Latin "jota"
and/or the Greek "iota".
Quote:
jot (n.)
1526, borrowing of L. jota, variant spelling of Gk. iota "the letter
-i-, the smallest letter in the alphabet, hence the least part of
anything. The verb "to make a short note of" is attested from 1721.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
Unquote.

To write in Finnish is "kirjoittaa", which AFAIK originates from the
word "kirja" - book.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 16th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christine BA wrote:

According to an online dictionary, jot comes from the Latin "jota"
and/or the Greek "iota".

Quote:
jot (n.)
1526, borrowing of L. jota, variant spelling of Gk. iota "the letter
-i-, the smallest letter in the alphabet, hence the least part of
anything. The verb "to make a short note of" is attested from 1721.
Online Etymology Dictionary, ? 2001 Douglas Harper
Unquote.

To write in Finnish is "kirjoittaa", which AFAIK originates from the
word "kirja" - book.

I wouldn't expect Finnish words to be related to English words very
often, except for the fact that it seems to have a lot of Swedish
"loan words", and I certainly see similarities between Swedish and
English words.

I've read that there are some languages in the Indo-European tree
whose origins and relationship to other languages aren't known very
well. Finnish is apparently one of them. Others include Basque, Magyar
(Hungarian) and Georgian. I've also read that some of these languages
are related to each other, but I don't know which. Do you know anything
about this? Or Marina? (Haven't seen a post from Marina in a while.
You're not on the island already, are you?) Any linguists out there
care to comment?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 17th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Christine BA wrote:
kirjoitti:

I've read that there are some languages in the Indo-European tree
whose origins and relationship to other languages aren't known very
well. Finnish is apparently one of them. Others include Basque, Magyar
(Hungarian) and Georgian. I've also read that some of these languages
are related to each other, but I don't know which. Do you know anything
about this? Or Marina? (Haven't seen a post from Marina in a while.
You're not on the island already, are you?) Any linguists out there
care to comment?

Finnish and Hungarian are said to be related, but not so closely that
we'd understand each other.

Here's what wiki says about the language family Finnish belongs to, the
Uralic languages, and its sub-group, the Finno-Ugric languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uralic_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages

And now that you mention it, I haven't seen a post from Marina in a
while either, and I cannot remember any mention about her going to the
island yet...

She posted on June 7.
My Grandfather, who was Swedish used to converse with a young neighbor
who was Norwegians. They could understand each other. When I was 13, I
could partially read some articles in his Swedish newspaper though I did
not know the language. MLB
Old June 17th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've read that there are some languages in the Indo-European tree
whose origins and relationship to other languages aren't known very
well. Finnish is apparently one of them. Others include Basque, Magyar
(Hungarian) and Georgian.

Finnish and Hungarian are both in the Uralic family but haven't
been mutually understandable for about 5000 years. Georgian is
in the Kartvelian (or South Caucasian) family, which includes a
few languages in the same area (Svan, Mingrelian, Laz). Basque
seems to be unrelated to any other living langauge in the world.
None of these are Indo-European.

Europe also includes other non-Indo-European languages: Crimean
Tatar and Gagauz (both related to Turkish), Kalmyk (in the same
group as Mongolian), the northwest Caucasian group (Abkhaz,
Abaza, Adyge, Ubykh), and the northeast Caucasian group (Chechen,
Ingush, Lezgian, and the other languages of Daghestan). The two
Caucasian groups are maybe vaguely related to each other (last
mutually understandable about 15,000 years ago) but are *really*
different from any other languages in the world.

I've got a small grammar of Laz upstairs. That's weird enough.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old June 17th 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Finnish and Hungarian are both in the Uralic family but haven't
been mutually understandable for about 5000 years. Georgian is
in the Kartvelian (or South Caucasian) family, which includes a
few languages in the same area (Svan, Mingrelian, Laz). Basque
seems to be unrelated to any other living langauge in the world.
None of these are Indo-European.

Laz - isn't that an area of Turkey? Or does it overlap both Turkey
and Georgia?

For some reason, I thought that Georgian was an "orphan" language
like Basque, but apparently not.

The two
Caucasian groups are maybe vaguely related to each other (last
mutually understandable about 15,000 years ago)

How does anyone know what languages were spoken that long ago??
There wasn't any writing back then.

--
Joyce ^..^

Another Neighbor Lost? Kyla =^..^=[_2_] Cat anecdotes 6 March 9th 09 04:36 AM
I have a new neighbor Shiral Cat anecdotes 3 September 29th 07 05:01 AM
My neighbor Karen Cat anecdotes 8 July 25th 06 01:57 AM
that neighbor problem Andrew Brown Cat health & behaviour 18 October 14th 04 09:13 AM
Aaargh Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 8 October 10th 04 02:04 AM