D*g Question

Old September 25th 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Default D*g Question

This might be controversial, but I trust this group to not start a flame war
over it. This is a legitimate question, not fodder to start a fight. For
those who want/have d*gs as well as cats...

Would you adopt a pitbull puppy to live with your cats? I won't even ask
about an adult d*g. But where do you think instinct ends and environment
starts? When my daughter's family was here after Katrina we kept their old
Gypsy inside - she's a golden retriever, is pretty darn old for a d*g, and
the only danger with her is to be slobbered to death - she's afraid and
intimidated around the masters and they bullied her.

But Digger, their Rotweiller, at my daughter's suggestion, was kept in our
nice, big yard with a huge dog house (he was brought inside but confined to
a bedroom when the weather was too inclement). He was still just a big
puppy, but Rottweillers have been bred to protect and guard people and are
just not good with smaller animals or small children. Pitbulls are (mostly)
bred for fighting.

So do you think there would be a danger to the masters from either of those
types of d*g, even when bought as puppies? Do you think training and
environment can overcome instinct?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old September 25th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
This might be controversial, but I trust this group to not start a flame
war over it. This is a legitimate question, not fodder to start a fight.
For those who want/have d*gs as well as cats...

Would you adopt a pitbull puppy to live with your cats?

Yes, every puppy can be be trained to live with cats. So let's not demonise
pit bulls

Old September 25th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
This might be controversial, but I trust this group to not start a flame
war over it. This is a legitimate question, not fodder to start a fight.
For those who want/have d*gs as well as cats...

Would you adopt a pitbull puppy to live with your cats?

Yes, every puppy can be be trained to live with cats. So let's not demonise
pit bulls

Which I'm told do not deserve their bum rap - that they are basically
very nice, friendly dogs when they have not abused by sick b****rds who
enjoy seeing animals kill each other. (But of course, you don't want to
adopt a former fighting dog - although I think those are generally
euthanized when seized by the authorities.)
Old September 25th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

No, I'm not trying to demonize pitbulls, I'm trying to understand. I'm not
really a d*g person - I'm afraid of them after being attacked by a d*g when
I was a child - and they can sense that from me and react badly towards me.
So I'll admit that I'm not totally unbiased on the subject. But I'm
honestly trying to understand how a d*g can overcome instinct. My daughter
used to breed pitbulls, in a very limited way, and I was always terrified
that my grandchildren would be attacked. We hear, almost weekly in Houston,
of a pitbull that has injured or killed a child - is that their instincts or
were they trained for that? The owners always say 'oh he was as gentle as a
lamb, etc." That doesn't help the permanently maimed or dead child. Again,
I'm open-minded and I'm really just trying to understand them.

Old September 25th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:09:31 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

Would you adopt a pitbull puppy to live with your cats? I won't even ask
about an adult d*g. But where do you think instinct ends and environment
starts?

According to everything I've seen on Animal Planet (Pit Boss, Pitbulls
and Parolees, Animal Cops, etc) pitbulls are born good natured and
have to be trained to be nasty.
Old September 25th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
No, I'm not trying to demonize pitbulls, I'm trying to understand. I'm
not really a d*g person - I'm afraid of them after being attacked by a d*g
when I was a child - and they can sense that from me and react badly
towards me. So I'll admit that I'm not totally unbiased on the subject.
But I'm honestly trying to understand how a d*g can overcome instinct. My
daughter used to breed pitbulls, in a very limited way, and I was always
terrified that my grandchildren would be attacked. We hear, almost weekly
in Houston, of a pitbull that has injured or killed a child - is that
their instincts or were they trained for that? The owners always say 'oh
he was as gentle as a lamb, etc." That doesn't help the permanently
maimed or dead child. Again, I'm open-minded and I'm really just trying
to understand them.

Pit bulls are illegal here for a few years now. If you have one they have to
be neutered and muzzled if out in public.
Like they are up and at your throat or will kill your children at the
slightest provocation, which is not the case at all IME.
Media hysteria.
They are fine, unless they are trained to do this by drug dealers and such
people, which is not their fault at all.
They do like to fight, though, so I suggest you keep your dogs away from
them.

Tweed

Old September 25th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

sister raised rotties, and the gene pool is most important, then training,
same litter same training, different outcomes, even before she sold them, i
personally wouldn't risk it, but then i am not motivated to work as hard as
that training would take, and i also think your first responsibility is to
the current residents of the house, so i would err on the side of caution,

Old September 25th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i think in a general way tweed is probably right, but where instinct takes
over is like when you dangle a string in front of a cat, it represents prey,
when/if a child moves in a way that presents as prey the dog can be overcome
by the instinct, again i might be wrong i just wouldn't take the risk, my
sister's male rottie was one of the best dogs i ever saw, as well behaved as
either of my dog guides but i would never have gotten a puppy, Lee

Old September 25th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

I've heard that our military has banned pitbulls and pitbull mixes from all
housing on base - forcing families to give up the family pet even if they
just look like pitbulls. Personally I think that's unfair, especially since
the army used the "American Bulldog" as their mascot many years ago. But
then, again they are responsible for the safety of all on base. And, as I
said, we hear about pitbull attacks almost weekly here - whether that's only
from trained fighters or also from "family pets", I couldn't say.

Old September 25th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

But why do you believe those bad things about rottweillers and pit bulls if
you've never had one yourself?
You have nothing to go on because you have no experience of them.

It's media hype, and you fell for it. All big pet dogs will kill us. Not.

Hello and question Ball of Fluff Cats - misc 5 January 9th 07 10:52 PM
Vet question Chakolate Cat anecdotes 7 January 4th 06 04:59 AM
Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question Suzanne via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 May 8th 05 07:27 AM
New cat question & weight question ElvisRocks Cat health & behaviour 6 April 1st 05 08:22 AM
i have a question...... Darren LeBlanc Cat health & behaviour 20 February 18th 04 12:35 AM