Cat with arthritis

Old January 15th 04, 07:34 PM
SS

Default Cat with arthritis

Hello All,

I've never posted to this group, but I need some input...

One of my cats has arthritis and the vet gave me some drops to administer
called metacam. He told me the drug is really for dogs, but they have had
great results with cats. I did a little research on this drug and it sounds
like the side effects could be worse than the arthritis.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

-SS

Old January 15th 04, 09:50 PM
Karen

Hmmm. I don't believe I've heard of metacam being used for cats. Mostly vets
nowdays give you Cosequin and I am just about to investigate Adequin (which
is not "approved" for cats but seems to have a good effect). Hope to hear
from others and may I suggest you post that to alt.med.veterinary to see if
some of the vets there might respond?

Karen

Old January 15th 04, 10:06 PM
SS

Thanks for the response. My vet seems to think that metacam is the best
bet, even though it's not really for cats...I'll keep checking before I
administer it to my cat. He's very happy, even with the arthritis, and I
would hate to make him unhappy with the meds.

-SS

"Karen" wrote in message
Hmmm. I don't believe I've heard of metacam being used for cats. Mostly

vets
nowdays give you Cosequin and I am just about to investigate Adequin

(which
is not "approved" for cats but seems to have a good effect). Hope to hear
from others and may I suggest you post that to alt.med.veterinary to see

if
some of the vets there might respond?

Karen

SNIP

Old January 16th 04, 01:36 AM
Wendy

"SS" wrote in message
Hello All,

I've never posted to this group, but I need some input...

One of my cats has arthritis and the vet gave me some drops to administer
called metacam. He told me the drug is really for dogs, but they have had
great results with cats. I did a little research on this drug and it sounds
like the side effects could be worse than the arthritis.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

-SS

I'm somewhat surprised that a vet prescribed a NSAID for treatment of
arthritic pain. To my knowledge no NSAID is approved for use in cats. That
said, they are using them for short term pain relief after surgery.

I recently had occasion to ask my vet about this as my 16 yr. old was
suffering with her arthritis before Christmas. She was so bad I really
though we were losing her. She had stopped using the box, was hardly moving
at all, cried every time I picked her up and wasn't eating.The vet
prescribed prednosolone but that didn't seem to be giving her much relief
and may have caused the loss of appetite. I took her up to see about
acupuncture and the vet who does that recommended we try some homeopathic
remedies to get her through the holiday and then if she wasn't doing much
better I could bring her in and see what could be done. We have had Tigger
on Cosequin, shark cartilage and arnica montana (as needed for pain). It's
like night and day. Before she always had the fur along her spine standing
up (vet said that was an indication of her being in pain) now most of the
time it's down. She's jumping up on the bed and into chairs with me and she
was even running around the house the other day. Her weight has stabilized
and her appitite is back. We've had some really cold weather lately that I
would expect to set her off and she's still doing well. She is even standing
up straighter. Before her front legs were always bent at the elbow to shift
weight to the front and off her hindquarters. I'd say the stuff was working.

Wendy