Purina Hairball Food

Old September 16th 04, 03:16 AM
Marek Williams

Default Purina Hairball Food

So I'm sitting here at the computer checking e-mail and stuff while
eating potato chips and beer. Cat-Boy comes in and decides, as he
frequently does, that it's lap time. I decide it's time for a break
anyway, so I let him in my lap. But this time it appears he's more
interested in the potato chips than getting his back scratched. I
offer him a small chip and, amazingly, he eats it.

We are talking about a cat (part Maine Coon) who has always been
totally disinterested in human food. He'll sniff at what I'm eating,
but never begs for it, even if it's steak. I've never had a cat so
blasé about food.

The potato chip aside, what I'm really wondering about is his regular
food. He won't touch any kind of canned food. All he wants is dry cat
food. And of all the various brands I've tried, his favorite is Purina
One "Advanced Nutrition Hairball Formula." He eats nothing else.

I started the hairball cat foods because his thick coat caused a lot
of puking up hairballs. He still horks one up once in a while, but
with the hairball remedy cat food things are a lot better.

One thing that worries me is the lack of variety in his diet. I assume
that the Purina cat food is reasonably complete, but variety is always
a good idea. I could force him to eat something else by withholding
the Purina, but he's happy and completely healthy, so I wonder if I
should bother.

The other thing that bothers me is whether the Purina I have been
giving him is a decent food for him. I realize the danger in asking a
question like that in here. This newsgroup is famous for people with
religious ideas about cat food. I'm only interested in knowing if
there is some serious, known problem with the specific Purina food he
is eating.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
Old September 16th 04, 06:56 AM
Ashley

"Marek Williams" wrote in message
So I'm sitting here at the computer checking e-mail and stuff while
eating potato chips and beer. Cat-Boy comes in and decides, as he
frequently does, that it's lap time. I decide it's time for a break
anyway, so I let him in my lap. But this time it appears he's more
interested in the potato chips than getting his back scratched. I
offer him a small chip and, amazingly, he eats it.

Potato chips and hot chips (fries) are common favourites among the cats I've
had - right up there with cheese. I guess it's the salt.

Old September 16th 04, 07:43 AM
-L. :

Marek Williams wrote in message . ..
So I'm sitting here at the computer checking e-mail and stuff while
eating potato chips and beer. Cat-Boy comes in and decides, as he
frequently does, that it's lap time. I decide it's time for a break
anyway, so I let him in my lap. But this time it appears he's more
interested in the potato chips than getting his back scratched. I
offer him a small chip and, amazingly, he eats it.

He prolly liked the salt.

I don't consider myself a cat food Nazi. There are a few brands I
think are crap, either because of their marketing BS (Hills), cats
won't eat the crap (Hills) or they are just pretty poor quality (Meow
Mix, etc.) Purina is one of the better grocery-store brands. I
wouldn't knock someone for feeding it, if that's all they can afford.
If money isn't an issue, I'd try to graduate to something of a little
higher quality. I also would try to get my cat to eat canned or, if
not canned, then cooked meat (chicken, turkey) as food higher in water
content is better for cats. I recognize that people ususally do the
best they can for their animals and that not everyone has the same
resources that others do. If you get replies countering that fact,
just ignore them.

Best of luck with Kitty.

-L.

Old September 16th 04, 08:39 AM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
(-L. wrote:

- Marek Williams wrote in message
- . ..
- So I'm sitting here at the computer checking e-mail and stuff while
- eating potato chips and beer. Cat-Boy comes in and decides, as he
- frequently does, that it's lap time. I decide it's time for a break
- anyway, so I let him in my lap. But this time it appears he's more
- interested in the potato chips than getting his back scratched. I
- offer him a small chip and, amazingly, he eats it.
-
- He prolly liked the salt.
-
[...]

I hope you meant Purina O.N.E. is one of the better brands. The cheaper
Purina products are crap, imho.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998

Old September 17th 04, 01:06 PM
kittenluver

I give mine Purina Indoor Cat Formula and he loves it. I can't afford the
expensive brands. Why is it "crap"? Just curious.

Old September 17th 04, 03:36 PM

I can't afford the expensive brands.

Sure you can. Grocery store food might be cheaper per bag, but it is
full of fillers that go in one end and out the other with no benefit to
the cat. Super-premium foods contain better quality ingredients, are
more digestable, and result in the cat needing to eat *less* to meet its
needs. If you can afford up to $1 a day on cat food, you can afford a
super-premium canned diet and your cat will be the better for it.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing