Our spayed cat appears to be pregnant!!

Old March 28th 05, 05:32 AM
peggy j

Default Our spayed cat appears to be pregnant!!

I'm not much of a pet person. My boys wanted cats really really badly,
so I gave in. We bought the cats at a pet store while a shelter was
doing a 'thing' there... so they're actually from a shleter and were
spayed and neutered (1 boy, 1 girl) when we got them. They're inside
cats but have 'escaped' on a few occasions. Hubby said last week that
he thought she was pregnant... I said that she couldn't psossibly be,
since she'd been spayed (of course I became pregnant a year after my
tubal ligation, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised).

I'm pretty sure she is 'with children'. I guess we see the vet
tomorrow.

What exactly is involved in spaying a cat? How could this happen?

pj

Old March 28th 05, 03:30 PM
Magic Mood Jeep

peggy j wrote:
I'm not much of a pet person. My boys wanted cats really really badly,
so I gave in. We bought the cats at a pet store while a shelter was
doing a 'thing' there... so they're actually from a shleter and were
spayed and neutered (1 boy, 1 girl) when we got them. They're inside
cats but have 'escaped' on a few occasions. Hubby said last week that
he thought she was pregnant... I said that she couldn't psossibly be,
since she'd been spayed (of course I became pregnant a year after my
tubal ligation, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised).

I'm pretty sure she is 'with children'. I guess we see the vet
tomorrow.

What exactly is involved in spaying a cat? How could this happen?

pj

If she was spayed, she would not be able to get pregnant, because 'spaying'
a oet (dog, cat rabbit, orotherwise) is listed on my vet's paperwork as an
oviohysterectomy - meaning that they remove the both the ovaries and the
uterus.

--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too) email me at

Old March 28th 05, 06:08 PM
KellyH

"kaeli" wrote
See the vet.
I don't know why hubby would think she was pregnant, but I'm assuming
she's
looking fatter or bloated. This could be due to worms or other illness.

If she really is pregnant, she isn't spayed. A spay is also called
oviohysterectomy, which is just what it says -- the removal of the ovaries
and uterus. There is no way a spayed cat can get pregnant.

She could also be constipated. We had a stray come into the shelter. The
vet felt her belly, said she was probably pg, thought she felt kittens.
Bring her into the office for an Xray tomorrow. I did, vet felt her again
and was almost positive it was kittens, wasn't going to do the xray but then
said let's be on the safe side. She did it, and it was poop! Poor thing
was all backed up.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 29th 05, 05:08 AM
em

Hi, Peggy!

How long have you had this kitty?

Is it possible that she has just been doing some "pigging out"?

I ask this because I adopted a 3 year old female in January from our SPCA.
She had not been spayed yet. Their procedure is to send unaltered animals
(except babies, of course) to the clinic they have a contract with to have
the procedure done, and the person picks the animal up from the clinic the
next day.

This works great, because they ensure it is done. Twinkle gained FOUR
pounds between Jan.23rd and Mid-March. What a little fatty! You could have
sworn she was "with children"! She wasn't just putting the weight on
smoothly, it kind of went on both sides sticking out like it does when they
are mommy-to-be cats.

She was a "confiscated" cat....................lived with 35 other cats and
16 dogs.......30 cats and 12 dogs went to the SPCA. I suppose she couldn't
get used to having the food there without all the other animals. No wonder
she pigged out!

Is it possible that your little girl may be in the same situation? I hope
that this is all it is, and not babies, worms or bloating.

Keep us updated!

Mel, Osker and Twinkle
oups.com...