Our New Children

Old May 30th 05, 05:48 AM
Philip

Default Our New Children

Our New Children: The Surrogate Role of Companion Animals in Women's Lives

by Wendy G. Turner

http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR6-1/turner.html

Old May 30th 05, 05:53 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:48:53 GMT, "Philip"

More hate from
IP # 64.203.38.114
Old May 30th 05, 06:05 AM
Mary

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:48:53 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

More hate from
IP # 64.203.38.114

John, are you still reading this dickhead's posts?

Old May 30th 05, 06:15 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:05:07 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

More hate from
IP # 64.203.38.114

John, are you still reading this dickhead's posts?

I've been in newsgroups for 10 years but this Los Angeles area pile of
**** got to me.
All I can say is,

IP # 64.203.38.114

OrgAbuseName: ABUSE TEAM
OrgAbusePhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgAbuseEmail:

Also, he killed Rusty last month.
Old May 30th 05, 06:25 AM
Candace

John Ross Mc Master wrote:

Also, he killed Rusty last month.

Who is Rusty? I haven't really been following his posts much.

Candace

Old May 30th 05, 06:56 AM
Philip

Candace wrote:
John Ross Mc Master wrote:

Also, he killed Rusty last month.

Who is Rusty? I haven't really been following his posts much.

Candace

I can't wait to read the next installment by JR. Really! :^)

Old May 30th 05, 03:19 PM
Karen

in article . net, Philip at
wrote on 5/29/05 11:48 PM:

Our New Children: The Surrogate Role of Companion Animals in Women's Lives

by Wendy G. Turner

http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR6-1/turner.html

Hmm. Mildly interesting. Not a very big field of study participants. I don't
think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that people view their pets
as companions and closer to children. I mean, look at all the products for
them! My living room definitely looks about as toy filled as someone with
kids. I think it's too bad they don't look more at men, who probably suffer
more with pet loss because it is somewhat socially acceptable for women to
grieve pet death and I sometimes wonder if men aren't at a disadvantage
there with people understanding how hard it is for them, since they are not
seen as the "care givers". And yet, online, I have noticed that sometimes
men seem at least if not more distraught. A support group is sure the key.
I'm very lucky because when Grant died not only my friends and my online
friends extremely supportive, but my co-workers absolutely treated me as
though I had lost a child and were completely sympathetic and helpful in
understanding my feelings and could tell when my grief was affecting me,
probably more so than I did.

Old May 30th 05, 03:56 PM
Philip

Karen wrote:
[...]

A pleasant middle of the road response. :^) Couple of reactions:

1) Women without children followed by women whose children are up, out, and
on their own, especially if their husband has done likewise get the most
attached to pets. Women are more wired to be caregivers than men. Must be a
breast thing. ;^)

2) It is more of an eyebrow raiser in North America (can't speak to other
places) to witness men as caregivers let alone displaying grief.

3) When a woman is happily married and with children, pets are way down the
list of care priorities ... sort of an accessory. Now, if this woman
associates with a lot of childless women (see item #1), then this
prioritization will probably seem foreign.