Flippy's Cat Chat Party was a success!

Old August 1st 05, 05:09 AM
Flippy

Default Flippy's Cat Chat Party was a success!

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everyone who participated and helped to make the
chatroom party such a success. In all, about 30 people popped in to say
hello.

Some of you had trouble getting to the chat room for various reasons. Please
let me know if you are unable to get in still, and I will organise for
someone to help you.

I think the cat-chat party will become a monthly event, so hopefully some of
you who couldn't get in the other day will have things sorted out and you
can join us for a chat.

In the meantime, the chatroom is open 24/7, so you can go in to chat at any
time. There should always be someone there. Don't forget though that
NonyMouse does not chat, she is there to keep the room open. Tripod is there
most of the time too, except when he is at school or sleeping. :-)

Thanks again, and hope to see you in Flippy's Cat Chat soon.

Purrs to all,
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com
Cat-chat: http://www.flippyscatpage.com/catchat.html

Old August 1st 05, 05:17 AM
jmcquown

Flippy wrote:
[...]

Flippy, I was able to help Bev configure her mIRC client to connect to the
starchat server. Now, for "non-scheduled" chats, any idea what might be a
good time to find someone there? I popped in a couple of times today and
Tripod was signed in and so was Windopain but it was obvious they weren't
really there (at least, I hope they weren't ignoring me!). Any way you
could (politely) ask them to disconnect when they aren't really there?
That's a big pet peeve of mine; you sign in and think oh good, I can chat
with these folks! But you can't, they aren't there. Just a thought.

[Speaking for myself, I'm online a LOT late in the evenings and early
mornings here in the States; my sleep schedule is a tad messed up due to
some of my medications and the fact that I don't have to get up and go to
work every morning.]

Jill

Old August 1st 05, 10:08 AM
Hopitus

I am not going to give any excuses for being up this late: in case no one
realizes it, some of us are owls! Not larks...
Jill: when I was chatting in that party w/Flippy, Christine K. and others
the other day, someone told me that those people you just named were really
"bots" not people. That went way over my head; I thought bots were only
mechanical means to snag one's addy for spam. I had no idea they could talk.
I was told some can talk! Maybe you understand this better than I
do............and it might answer your ?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 1st 05, 10:40 AM
christal63

Hopitus kirjoitti:

I am not going to give any excuses for being up this late: in case no one
realizes it, some of us are owls! Not larks...
Jill: when I was chatting in that party w/Flippy, Christine K. and others
the other day, someone told me that those people you just named were really
"bots" not people. That went way over my head; I thought bots were only
mechanical means to snag one's addy for spam. I had no idea they could talk.
I was told some can talk! Maybe you understand this better than I
do............and it might answer your ?

Must have been me. But apparently both Windopain and Tripod *are* real
people, only not always by the computer, but leave their nick hanging
in the chatroom even when they're away. I didn't know this when I
guessed at them being bots. Then again A-Nony-Mouse *is* a bot (I
think), like Flippy said, there to keep the channel/chatroom open.

Some bots are programmed to give certain responses to certain key
words, but are not capable of actual discussions. And as we saw lateron
during the chat, Windopain was very much able to chat with us - no bot.

As to Jill's peeve at not being able to see who's there and who isn't -
maybe they could change their nick a bit when they're away, eg.
Windopain - WindAway or some such. That way one could see at a glance
that they're not really there.

Christine in Vantaa posting from work

Old August 1st 05, 02:51 PM
jmcquown

?

-
maybe they could change their nick a bit when they're away, eg.
Windopain - WindAway or some such. That way one could see at a glance
that they're not really there.

Christine in Vantaa posting from work

Actually, A-Nony-Mouse was chatting and defintely wasn't a bot. Last time I
entered the channel yesterday, A-Nony-Mouse wasn't in the room.

I agree with your suggestion about changing the nick when they leave if they
don't want to disconnect. I chat on another server on mIRC (about food,
what else!) and it's annoying when the folks listed there aren't "there"

Jill

Old August 1st 05, 03:46 PM
Lesley

I simply can't get into chat rooms because of the way the firewall is
configured on this machine (Not my fault and I can hardly ask my boss
if it can be!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 1st 05, 04:28 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

christal63 wrote:
Hopitus kirjoitti:

I am not going to give any excuses for being up this late: in case no one
realizes it, some of us are owls! Not larks...
Jill: when I was chatting in that party w/Flippy, Christine K. and others
the other day, someone told me that those people you just named were really
"bots" not people. That went way over my head; I thought bots were only
mechanical means to snag one's addy for spam. I had no idea they could talk.
I was told some can talk! Maybe you understand this better than I
do............and it might answer your ?

Must have been me. But apparently both Windopain and Tripod *are* real
people, only not always by the computer, but leave their nick hanging
in the chatroom even when they're away. I didn't know this when I
guessed at them being bots. Then again A-Nony-Mouse *is* a bot (I
think), like Flippy said, there to keep the channel/chatroom open.

Tripod is pretty cool, for such a young'un (hee). Don't think that
Windopain ever spoke when I was about, but ... well anyway.

I did notice that I'd get booted if several people left at the same
time. Like, Flippy left followed shortly by a couple of others, and I
ended up being booted (for the second time). Being somewhat lazy, I
just didn't try to get back in.

Some bots are programmed to give certain responses to certain key
words, but are not capable of actual discussions. And as we saw lateron
during the chat, Windopain was very much able to chat with us - no bot.

Speaking of 'bots... There was one, last year, in
alt.gossip.celebrities (yeah, I read that group) named Lady Chatterly.
"She" always responded with things like, "What makes you... [then
repeat something you had written that was followed by a question mark
(?)]". She may have been in other groups as well, but she certainly
made things ... uh ... interesting.

Old August 1st 05, 05:30 PM
jmcquown

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
christal63 wrote:
Hopitus kirjoitti:

Must have been me. But apparently both Windopain and Tripod *are*
real people, only not always by the computer, but leave their nick
hanging
in the chatroom even when they're away. I didn't know this when I
guessed at them being bots. Then again A-Nony-Mouse *is* a bot (I
think), like Flippy said, there to keep the channel/chatroom open.

Tripod is pretty cool, for such a young'un (hee). Don't think that
Windopain ever spoke when I was about, but ... well anyway.

I did notice that I'd get booted if several people left at the same
time. Like, Flippy left followed shortly by a couple of others, and I
ended up being booted (for the second time). Being somewhat lazy, I
just didn't try to get back in.

You sure you were booted and not the victim of a channel split? That was
happening a lot there for a while. Suddenly would look like someone (or
several someones) left but they didn't really. What you would see on the
screen is (example, I'm making up the server names here) Flippy has left IRC
(irc.starchat.uk.net irc.starchat3.au.net). If there are two server names
listed after it says the person left, it means the channel split in two.
Some people are still chatting in one channel, others in another and
everyone thinks people left when they didn't. Then again, sometimes folks
just get booted

Speaking of 'bots... There was one, last year, in
alt.gossip.celebrities (yeah, I read that group) named Lady Chatterly.
"She" always responded with things like, "What makes you... [then
repeat something you had written that was followed by a question mark
(?)]". She may have been in other groups as well, but she certainly
made things ... uh ... interesting.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Bots are programmed by the server owner/op to issue pre-scripted responses
to certain commands and phrases. Sometimes they are quite funny! But they
aren't "people"

Jill

Old August 1st 05, 08:23 PM
Bev

jmcquown wrote:

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
christal63 wrote:
Hopitus kirjoitti:

[...]

I went into Flippys catchat and noticed nicks on the site with no one
looking after them. What is usual when people do this is to simply put
in AFK (away from the keyboard). Saves waiting for an answer from them.

Jill, unfortunately I had lost my other chatroom before your good
advice, however I'll see if I can get it back.

Bev
--
Dogs may shed, but cats shred.

Invitation to Flippy's Cat Chat Party Flippy Cat anecdotes 38 August 2nd 05 07:34 AM
Flippy's Chat in Progress! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 14 August 1st 05 02:17 AM
Flippy's Cat Chat Flippy Cat anecdotes 0 July 25th 05 03:09 AM
Party [email protected] Cat anecdotes 8 July 13th 05 10:26 PM
party tart Tish S Cat anecdotes 18 June 15th 04 02:12 PM