Cats and ribbon...healthy?

Old February 22nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cats and ribbon...healthy?

Hi all,

My kitty has found new life. I received a gift from somebody that had
plain old 1/4" ribbon tied around it. While I was opening the gift, my
cat responded to it as any other string, batting at it. But, then I
started playing with him with it. He went absolutely crazy!!

I really think he enjoys how it slowly, gracefully moves through the
air. Ribbon being so light, it sort of hangs before it falls. This
"feather-falling" action I think gives him a new challenge...

It is also fun for me, because if I "snap" it with my fingers, it
tickles his nose, he sometimes sneezes, and must let it go. I state
this because once he gets ahold of any string-type toy --he doesn't
like to let go. (He does, however, really enjoy the hunting aspect of
getting it.)

I have been playing with him with the ribbon more lately. He acts like
it some addictive drug anymore. I come home from work and he comes
racing to the backdoor meowing up a storm. He is also very active in
the morning now, wanting to play with the ribbon (he was not to active
in the morning before). He races after it like a crazy kitty! He even
likes the ribbon more than my laser pointer (which is another
story...).

Now: the questions! How healthy is it for him to play with ribbon?
I am worried whether or not he could get "papercut" type injuries. I
have been checking his mouth after playing, and have never found any
blood. I tie the ends off so that the ends do not fray, just to avoid
any accidental swallowing. I also keep the ribbon out of his reach
when I am not around to supervise....

I would really hate to take away his newfound JOY, but if I must, I
would *much* rather have a healthy cat.

Whew...sorry for the long-winded inquiry. Any response would be
greatly appreciated!

o!
--
~m.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

what to worry about is make sure he does not eat the ribbon I mean eat
not chew ( no swallowing) or bite it
when the ribbons becomes frayed time to replace. Don't worry about being
worried all mothers have a right to be

Matthew

Old February 22nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

My cats love ribbon. I dont see how it is different then any other string
like toy. Of course, watch them when they play so they dont swallow it, but
that is just common sense. My cats love it for the same reason you
mentuioned, because it is thicker and flatter, it moves slower through the
air. I have never seen a ribbon with sharp edges, so I dont imagine that
could be a problem, unless what you mean as ribbon isnt what I mean.

Old February 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Now: the questions! How healthy is it for him to play with ribbon?
I am worried whether or not he could get "papercut" type injuries. I
have been checking his mouth after playing, and have never found any
blood. I tie the ends off so that the ends do not fray, just to avoid
any accidental swallowing. I also keep the ribbon out of his reach
when I am not around to supervise....

Some ribbons edges are sharper than others. If it seems okay I don't see
anything wrong with him playing with it with you there. Keeping it out of
his reach when you're not around is a very good idea. Don't know how old
your cat is but if it is young, some of them tend to swallow things. One of
my cats swallowed a piece of string when she was a kitten but I don't think
she would do it now although she still likes to chew the tails off of those
furry toy mice.

Anna