Cat Pee Problems !!!HELP ME!!!

Old July 14th 05, 02:01 PM
Wendy

news:qftBe.115982$yV4.23198@okepread03...

"Wendy" wrote in message

news:zinBe.115969$yV4.41368@okepread03...

Where do you get your Feliway? I ordered some online from BioVet because
of the low price but it didn't seem to last as long. My imagination
maybe?

How long did yours last? I find that one refill usually lasts for about
5+ weeks. I ordered mine from http://www.valleyvet.com. You could also
try www.petguys.com or www.petfooddirect.com.

MaryL

I was getting 3-4 weeks from the cheap ones. Will check prices elsewhere and
look for the next best deal. I usually run the diffusers during the summer
to keep my guys chilled out when I have more fosters going in and out of the
'foster room'. Something freaked out my Boots the other night and he was
hiding behind the couch all day yesterday. Time to fire up the diffuser I
think.

Old July 14th 05, 02:04 PM
blkcatgal

Have you thought about contacting an animal behaviorist? Maybe he/she could
suggest some things to help with your cat. If there isn't one in your area,
you could contact the veterinarian behaviorist that I did...Dr. Nicholas
Dodman at Tuft's. They offer a program called PETFAX where you can consult
with Dr. Dodman and his associates via email, phone etc. and, working with
your own vet, can help overcome your cat's behavior problems. You can see
info about Dr. Dodman he
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/facpages/dodman_n.html
Good luck.

Sue
wrote in message
oups.com...
My cat is bonkers!!! All my husband and I have ever done was try to
love him and give him tons of attention. I don't work, so I am at
home and play with him all day. His litter box is always clean... he
always has fresh food and water... and we give him kitty snacks all the
time. He is so spoiled! We treat him better than we treat people!

When we got him as a kitten he was very scared of people... and
anything that moved or made noise. We had to keep him in master
bathroom... and then gradually move him into our bedroom... and then
into the living room... and so on. We did this to make him feel more
comfortable with his new surroundings. This process took much longer
than it does for most cats. He spent a week and a half in the bathroom
before he felt comfortable enough to go into our bedroom! He is
horrified of being picked up and doesn't like being touched much.
The only kind of human interaction he really loves is getting played
with. When we reach out to pet his back he squats down as low as he
can to avoid touching us and runs away.

As he got older he began to pee on our papa-san, which is round
couch/chair that we hang out on in the office. At first we thought he
might be confused since his litter box is round... not the case. We
eventually got so fed up of lifting that heavy cushion and cleaning it
every few days that we took it out of the office (where his litter box
is located). At this point he was in kitty "time-out". We locked
him in the guest bathroom for a day with his litter box and food/h20...
hoping he would get the point not to pee. Unfortunately, he didn't
take his punishment too well. Instead of peeing on the papa-san... he
went pee on the foot of our bed... while we were sleeping in it!!!

Once again... he went to kitty "time out". Our mattress in
brand-new and costs a ton of money... it's a tempurpedic bed and
doesn't allow for easy cleaning either. My husband lost it when the
cat went pee on the bed. He wanted to give it away because he was so
sick of cleaning cat pee all the time. I suggested that we try and
work things out with him by getting another cat to occupy him time
with. We did so, and he seemed to be enjoying the new friend. Since
getting him a friend, we got him neutered, at 5 months of age.

Things were going great... until recently. We have been catching him
going pee in the sinks (which was happening before the new cat)... and
two days ago he went poop in the corner of the bathroom. Once again...
he was sent to kitty "time out" overnight. He was well behaved
yesterday when he got out of "time out"... but my husband and I
thought it would be a good idea if he slept outside of our room last
night... in fear of what he might do when we are sleeping. Sure enough
this morning when I let him in the room... he went pee on the foot of
the bed. To be honest, I've had just about enough of the games this
cat is playing with us. My husband wants him gone. I just don't
want to let him go without knowing that this problem is irreversible.
PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S. This morning when I caught him peeing on the bed I picked him up
and took him to "time out" ... AGAIN... when doing so I didn't
realize that he was still peeing!!! The pee went all over my feet,
legs, and body... more importantly... my nice couches... and all over
about twenty feet of carpet!!! ... Not to mention all over the guest
bathroom! What should I do to clean this mess? I cleaned the bathroom
with pine-sol and Nature's Miracle. I sprayed Nature's Miracle all
over the couches and on the floors. However, the other cat can still
smell the pee. She gets that weird face cats make when they smell pee
and stuff. What can I do to help this??? I'm at this cat's
mercy!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Old July 14th 05, 02:28 PM
Wendy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the posts... kellyh & paws for thought. =) I didn't
indicate so in my first message... but I posted one immediately after
saying that a UTI or any other physical cause is not a factor. He has
been to the vet several times and he said that he was perfectly
healthy.

There is something seriously wrong with him. He doesn't seem to like
"time out" ... and to me it sounds like a reasonable punishment. ???
He seems to "lash out" at us after he gets in trouble. I'm very
concerned about his behavioral problems. They are becoming very costly
and time consuming. I completely understand the fact that cats are
like kids, but come on... this cat is like dealing with an emotionally
charged teenage girl!!! The cat also likes to destroy toilet paper,
paper towels, and anything in the trashcan.... Not to mention any kind
of wire or paper lying around the house... oh... don't let me forget
about all the plants he destroys and the clothing he chews up... I
don't know what to do... My husband wants to give him away?!?!?

He is a Bengal cat... if that helps any of you experts. Oh...
PAWSFORTHOUGHT... he is declawed... and come to mention it... most of
the major problems have taken place since then. Why do you ask? You
seem concerned... I am now too. The vet recommended it for his breed
and personality. I always trust professionals... Should I not? He
said there were no drawbacks and/or side effects. ???

The vet actually did a urine test?

Old July 14th 05, 03:30 PM
PawsForThought

Thank you for the posts... kellyh & paws for thought. =) I didn't
indicate so in my first message... but I posted one immediately after
saying that a UTI or any other physical cause is not a factor. He has
been to the vet several times and he said that he was perfectly
healthy.

Yeah I saw that one after I had already posted. How long ago was he
seen?

He is a Bengal cat... if that helps any of you experts. Oh...
PAWSFORTHOUGHT... he is declawed... and come to mention it... most of
the major problems have taken place since then. Why do you ask? You
seem concerned... I am now too. The vet recommended it for his breed
and personality. I always trust professionals... Should I not? He
said there were no drawbacks and/or side effects. ???

Excuse me but I have to scream!!! Your vet is a total and complete
******* and idiot! Did this idiot happen to mention that declawing is
actually 10 painful amputations to the last digit of each toe? I hope
your vet didn't declaw him in the back too. Yes, declawing can most
definitely be the cause of your poor kitty's problems. Declawed cats
can have phantom pain in their paws (much like a human amputee does),
and thus, when he uses the litter, he associates the pain with the
litterbox. That's why he's peeing on soft things like your chair and
bed. I am going to post some links for you to read about what
declawing really is and I hope you'll read them. Unfortunately, greedy
vets will promote declawing because it's a big money maker for them,
and unfortunately the poor cat pays with his health, both physically
and psychologially. It's going to take some real effort on your part
to help this cat, and I hope you won't abandon him. I also suggest you
print out the articles I am going to post and show them to your
husband. Here's a couple of articles:

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...ticle_123.html

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...ticle_123.html

LAUREN

Old July 14th 05, 03:34 PM
Alison

-- wrote:
The weird thing is that he does USE the litter box. He just seems

get moody for one reason or another sometimes. I feel like he is
attacking my personal space on purpose. He knows what he is doing

is
bad because he runs away afterwards. ??? It just seems like he

is
trying to get my attention... ???

"Kitkat" wrote in message

news
I know it can seem like that but I doubt it's the case. He is doing

it
because something is making him unhappy. Pam.

Absolutely.
To the OP : He sounds like he's a nervous, reactive cat and cats wee
if they are upset and stressed. They pick places like sofas and beds
because that's where your scent is stongest, he's adding his scent to
yours to reassure himself and make himself feel more secure.
Some cleaners have a strong scent that cats dont like and they will
pee over it to replace it with their own scent.
He's not likely to asscociate the punishment of time out with the
fact that you don't want him to wee in those places so he is not being
disobedient or deliberately doing it to annoy you. He probably finds
your and your husband's reactions confusing. He is doing something
that is natural to him; he doesn't understand that beds and sofas cost
money that you've work hard for , they're just objects that you sit
on. Time outs will just upset him and make him more likely to carry
on peeing.
Well done for not giving up on this cat . read this article by a
behaviourist, it will give you some tips on how to deal with this
problem
http://www.apbc.org.uk/article10.htm

Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
http://doginfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old July 14th 05, 03:47 PM
PawsForThought

Thank you captain obvious! I was asking for HELP ... not negative
criticism... Until tonight I never knew what they did to cats in a
declaw! I know it's my fault for being so ignorant to the topic...
But you would think that your vet wouldn't recommend something so
horrible for your cat, would you? Well... he did... and I did. Now my
cat's ****ed, literally, and it's my entire fault. I'm sorry. I
know I can't take the pain away from kitty... but I'm going to do
everything I can to make him feel better... and stop others from having
this procedure done on their cat. I'm not a mean or malicious person,
and I feel awful for what I did... but you can't change the past,
right?

I wrote this to someone earlier:
I was told to check out stopdeclaw.com. ... I just did and I started
gagging and crying. I made my husband come take a look at what we did
to our little guy. We both feel like IGNORANT ASSES. We are not going

to give up on him. It's our fault he acts the way he does... and we
have to live with it now. We will get educated... and work together on

helping him. We realized that him peeing on the bed was probably
because the bed is soft and does not hurt his paws. =( We kind of put
pieces of the puzzle together. We always wondered why he would "scoop"

at everything. Now we know.
Our vet recommended that we do the procedure. I asked my husband why
he would recommend such a thing... He said that everyone has to make
there money somehow... jerks... that's just as bad as being a drug
dealer. I'm going to call the vet in the morning and let him know what

I found out... We will look for vet services elsewhere now... from a
vet that is against declawing. When we find that vet, we are going to
take Brody in to get checked out for a bad declaw. Sad. So sad. We
feel horrible.

I'm glad to hear you're going to help your kitty and work with him. I
know it's hard to believe a vet, who is supposed to heal animals, will
actually mutilate them for money. It is sick and disgusting for sure.
Most countries ban declawing or just don't do it, and when they hear
it's done here in the U.S. and Canada, they're rightfully horrified
that people have this done to their cats. Unfortunately, cats develop
problems from declawing, whether or not the vet did a "good" job. It's
the very nature of the amputation and the fact that cats are
digitigrade (meaning they walk on their toe tips (the part that is
amputated) that causes the problems. You may also want to contact a
cat behaviorist who may be able to help you work through this and to
help Brody. I believe the second link I previously posted is a woman's
website who does work with declawed cats.

LAUREN

See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Old July 14th 05, 03:59 PM
PawsForThought

This is the link I meant to post. I believe this is the woman who
works with declawed cats and there's also some articles on her site:
http://www.goodcatswearblack.com/

Old July 14th 05, 04:01 PM
Jean B.

Meghan Noecker wrote:

A couple people mentioned arthritis being associated with declawing. I
would suggest adding a supplement. Glucosamine will help with that.
Even if she doesn't have it now, it can help prevent it.

You can supplements to mix in with food, flavored tablets to give the
cat directly, or some foods come with it in it.

I wonder why arthritis is associated with declawing? The only
thing I can think of is that it alters the way the cat
moves???? Anyhow, it is, indeed, appalling that vets treat
declawing so cavalierly--and even recommend it. I do hope
Mingy's vet has changed his ways. I should find out and then
abandon him if he hasn't since it indicates a vet who is not
very knowledgeable. (And let me add Mingy was NOT declawed,
thank goodness, since I did research that.)

--
Jean B.
Old July 14th 05, 04:03 PM
Jean B.

[...]

You know, I don't fault you. It is really too bad, but you
didn't know. Now you do, and you won't do that to another
cat. I speak as someone who bought a cat. I didn't know
about kitten mills. Now I do, and I wouldn't do that
again.... We live, we learn.... I do think your vet is
another story though....

--
Jean B.
Old July 15th 05, 12:11 AM