the mentholatum mistake (sos)

Old January 20th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Camoose

Default the mentholatum mistake (sos)

I have a strange little question for you folks regarding my cat. Here's
the backstory; I will try to be brief!

Four or five nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a
pain in my shoulder. I keep a tube of Ben Gay mentholated rub near the
bed (how frumpy, I know) and in my sleepy state I rubbed a bit on my
shoulder, then turned out the light and tried to go back to sleep. A
moment later my cat, Bloom, jumped up on me and in no time started
trying to lick my hand. Gently, I pushed her away and got up to wash my
hands (which obviously I should have done in the first place; I plead
grogginess). When I came back into the bedroom, Bloom was furiously
licking a small patch of fur on her side where I had touched her with
the hand that a trace of Ben Gay on it.

I dashed to the bathroom again, ran water on a wash cloth, rang it out,
and went back to the bedroom where Bloom was continuing to lick her fur
frantically. Held her still as I wiped the area with the cloth; she
didn't like it and mewed pitifully in protest, but I figured it had to
be done. (I almost never "make" her do anything so she was decidely not
use to this kind of thing.) Quite honestly, I didn't know whether the
stuff could make her sick--of course I didn't want to take any chances
with that--but what was really creating the urgency for me was *her*
apparent urgency to get the stuff OFF of her fur. It drove her
completely bonkers.

Okay. The next day, she clearly had her feelings hurt, most likely from
being subjected to a brisk rub down with a wet cloth. She ignored me
all day, and the day after was much the same. Then, two days ago (mind
you, I had been reaching out to her affectionately all along), she
decided that all was well, and began jumping on me and cuddling up as
usual. Thank heaven, I said. I really love her very much. I love her so
much it's silly.

But there's something developing now that I don't quite understand. She
does not want me to do anything but sit with her, either with her upon
me or (less likely) on a pillow next to me. I can't move without making
her upset and mewing and mewing. If I try to go on the computer, pay
bills, take a shower, cook dinner--she cries and, if I don't pay heed,
actually starts to keen or howl. She is content and full of purrs,
however, *if* I sit down and not stir, except to pet her. I am assuming
this behavior has something to do with the night of the mentholatum
mistake.

My question: Do you suppose that my mistake actually traumatized my
cat? What can I do to help her? I'll do anything in my power--but I
will have to get up off the sofa at some point

Meeew, says Bloom; I've taken far too long here. Thanks for any input
and cheers to you all,

H.

Old January 20th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Camoose" wrote:

My question: Do you suppose that my mistake actually traumatized my
cat? What can I do to help her? I'll do anything in my power--but I
will have to get up off the sofa at some point

Meeew, says Bloom; I've taken far too long here. Thanks for any input
and cheers to you all,

She is playing you like an instrument. She will be fine.

You on the other hand, are kitty-shipped, hahaha

(My cat loves minty smells, including my MIL's mentholatum.
Your cat was probably enjoying it and just did not like the rubdown
so she is making you suffer. Ignore her and see what happens!)

Old January 21st 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Camoose

cybercat wrote:

She is playing you like an instrument. She will be fine.

You on the other hand, are kitty-shipped, hahaha

(My cat loves minty smells, including my MIL's mentholatum.
Your cat was probably enjoying it and just did not like the rubdown
so she is making you suffer. Ignore her and see what happens!)

Hiya, Cybercat:

Well, heck. She's got my number, eh? I've read a number of your posts,
all of them clearly knowledgeable--and so I think that, for now, I will
take your word for it. Kitty-shipped, heh! I should get a book on cat
behavior, so much might come clear.

Thanks very much. This is a great relief.

H.

Old January 21st 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Camoose" wrote

Kitty-shipped, heh! I should get a book on cat
behavior, so much might come clear.

I meant "kitty-whipped."

Like pussy whipped only not dirty.

Welcome.

Old January 21st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Camoose" wrote

Thanks very much. This is a great relief.

You're welcome. If you ignore her, you know she will not be able to leave
you alone.

it's a mistake Pat Cat anecdotes 29 June 9th 06 10:27 PM
Pam Bricker - posted by mistake, disregard. [email protected] Cat anecdotes 2 May 2nd 06 11:06 PM
Only a *slight* mistake Pat Cat anecdotes 6 March 29th 06 05:15 AM
A possibly huge mistake Pat Cat anecdotes 32 December 3rd 05 04:43 AM
I Think I Made A Mistake Kris Croft Cat anecdotes 9 March 1st 04 09:59 PM