Interesting observation - Sammy

Old October 17th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Interesting observation - Sammy

I've noticed he is a bit of a strange cat as in very vocal, not noticing
certain things, and getting surprised easily by the other cats. I think
he's deaf. It could also be why he's adopted the guest room as his own,
it has become familiar. He's learning to share it with Shamrock because
I don't think Shamrock wants Sammy to have his own room. But they're
getting along. I've also noticed Sammy is getting along really well
with Rhett. It seems that whenever I see Rhett, Sammy is close behind.

The strange things I've noticed is that it always seems like I sneak up
on him. He also often has his head in the box I keep the toys in, and
that isn't strange on it's own, but he doesn't seem to be attracted to
toys that make noise.

Now assuming he's deaf, I stomp the floor before I get close to him so
he knows I'm near. When I do that, he turns and notices me. If I don't
stomp the floor and just call his name or make a sound, he doesn't
acknowledge me.

I did some reading and it seems that the white fur color gene is often
present in Maine Coons, so even though both of his eyes are green, that
white color gene could attribute to deafness. If he is deaf I'm sure we
can adapt. I have to talk to my vet about other auditory tests to find
out for sure if he is deaf.

Other than a possible handicap, he seems like a very happy cat. I'm
very attached to him.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old October 17th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/16/2013 8:53 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

I don't know if I'm sure about that white cat = deafness gene. But as
with anything - a cat, a dog, a person who is deaf, they can feel
vibrations. So yes, I can see how a foot stomp would get his attention.

I'm sure if Sammy turns out to be deaf you will be perfectly capable of
taking care of him very well.

Jill
Old October 18th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/17/2013 4:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I think now that he is either very good at ignoring things, which of
course we know cats can live in their own world, or he is just hard of
hearing. I was waiting for a call on my cell phone so I turned the
volume up really loud so I'd hear it if I was in another room. Sure
enough it rang and my ringtone is a goofy laughing one, and Sammy
definitely heard it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old October 18th 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/17/2013 3:49 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

He sounds adorable.

It's lovely how he gets on with the others too.

An asset to any home.

He definitely is a lovely cat in all ways. The only thing he doesn't
like is to be groomed. I've been just working slowly at him to get him
used to it. His tummy fur is very curly and mats easily.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.