New food

Old September 25th 13, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default New food

Christina Websell wrote:

The only thing is it comes in cans and Boyfie is far fonder of the first
meal from the can than the second, presumably because he's used to having a
fresh pouch every meal. Pouches are 100g each and these cans are 400g, so I
tend to give him quite a bit more each meal.
Believe it or not, he could not eat all his teatime meal tonight, that's a
first! he will polish it off when he gets up later from hs duvet, around 8
pm and probably won't ask for his sprinkles at 10 pm, which is a good thing.

Do you have a microwave oven? Roxy won't eat refrigerated food, either,
so I heat it up for her in the microwave. That's not as indulgent as it
might sound. She has feline herpes, so her nose is often stuffed up, which
makes it hard for her to smell the food. And if a cat can't smell something,
then it doesn't register as food to them. So heating it up a little just
helps it have a stronger smell.

Someone I used to know would heat up her cats' food in a toaster oven. It
made the whole house smell like cat food, but at least the cats would eat
it.

--
Joyce

I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old September 25th 13, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have a microwave but the new food can is 2x what he usually has daily
and even my very greedy boy cannot eat it all in one day.
He's left some. Never before, he's stuffed.

I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.

Old September 25th 13, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Alas no ASDA near us but if it turns up there then sooner or later
it'll be in one of the other stores nearby- in fact I think I may
have seen it in "Wilkinson's" so as I need to pop there on Sunday
for some other bits I'll look our for it

If you mean Butcher's Choice, the Co-Op has it (at least, ours does).

Old September 26th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Do you have a microwave oven? Roxy won't eat refrigerated food, either,
so I heat it up for her in the microwave.

Yes, I have a microwave but the new food can is 2x what he usually has daily
and even my very greedy boy cannot eat it all in one day.
He's left some. Never before, he's stuffed.

Could you keep half the food in the refrigerator until the next feeding?

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old September 27th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:46:29 PM UTC-7, Jack Campin wrote:

If you mean Butcher's Choice, the Co-Op has it (at least, ours does).

Our local supermarket is a Co-op but not a big one and doesn't appear to have it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 27th 13, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Do you have a microwave oven? Roxy won't eat refrigerated food, either,
so I heat it up for her in the microwave.

Yes, I have a microwave but the new food can is 2x what he usually has
daily
and even my very greedy boy cannot eat it all in one day.
He's left some. Never before, he's stuffed.

Could you keep half the food in the refrigerator until the next feeding?

--
Joyce

~~~~~~~
That's what I do on days when it seems that Duffy and Selina will not want
full portions. I divide the evening meal, refrigerate the extra, and then
microwave the remainder the next morning. It only takes about 20 seconds in
the microwave. The theory is that warming the food also enhances the odor,
and that appeals to cats.

MaryL

Old September 27th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Do you have a microwave oven? Roxy won't eat refrigerated food, either,
so I heat it up for her in the microwave.

Yes, I have a microwave but the new food can is 2x what he usually has
daily
and even my very greedy boy cannot eat it all in one day.
He's left some. Never before, he's stuffed.

Could you keep half the food in the refrigerator until the next feeding?

Yes, but it says on the tin "best fed at room temperature"

Old September 28th 13, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Yes, but it says on the tin "best fed at room temperature"

~~~~~~~
That's the reason I only microwave mine (not the same brand) for only about
20 seconds--just enough to take the chill off and enhance the flavor (and
the odor, which makes it more appealing to cats). Of course, you could also
just leave it out of the refrigerator for a few minutes, but that does not
seem to have the same effect.

MaryL

Old September 28th 13, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Do you have a microwave oven? Roxy won't eat refrigerated food, either,
so I heat it up for her in the microwave.

Yes, I have a microwave but the new food can is 2x what he usually has
daily
and even my very greedy boy cannot eat it all in one day.
He's left some. Never before, he's stuffed.

Could you keep half the food in the refrigerator until the next feeding?

Yes, but it says on the tin "best fed at room temperature"

If you don't want to heat it (on low) in the microwave, set the
remainder in the tin out for an hour before dishing up the rest.

Persia doesn't get a whole tin of FF at once. I divide it into thirds
and refrigerate the rest. I have snap-on lids that fit most sizes of
pet food cans so the it is sealed. You could take the tin out of the
refrigerator, let it come to room temp and then dish it up.

Jill
Old September 28th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/27/2013 7:17 PM, MaryL wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Yes, but it says on the tin "best fed at room temperature"

~~~~~~~
That's the reason I only microwave mine (not the same brand) for only
about 20 seconds--just enough to take the chill off and enhance the
flavor (and the odor, which makes it more appealing to cats). Of
course, you could also just leave it out of the refrigerator for a few
minutes, but that does not seem to have the same effect.

MaryL

Yes, when I microwave Persia's little bit of FF, I tell her it's a
10-second countdown. Just enough to get the chill off.

I have a couple of pet-food lids that snap on to seal the can,
regardless of the size. I don't worry about letting it sit out for
about 20 minutes to let it come to room temperature.

She doesn't seem to have a preference, either way. But she really
doesn't like cold cat food. She's a girl after my own heart... I don't
like cold food, either.

Jill