Thyroid Treatment and Beta Blockers

Old July 20th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Thyroid Treatment and Beta Blockers

Some of you might recall that the vet said Boo could come off of the beta
blockers she is on for an irregular heartbeat once her thyroid levels are
tested again and have proved to remain level over time. Apparently the
irregular heartbeat is reversable once the thyroid has been corrected and
stayed level over time.

She gets her test this morning! Wish us luck. (And wish me luck getting her
into
the carrier, she has a sixth sense about these things ...)

One less pill a day can only be a good thing, especially with this cat!

Old July 20th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cybercat" wrote in message
.. .
Some of you might recall that the vet said Boo could come off of the beta
blockers she is on for an irregular heartbeat once her thyroid levels are
tested again and have proved to remain level over time. Apparently the
irregular heartbeat is reversable once the thyroid has been corrected and
stayed level over time.

She gets her test this morning!

Your vet probably recommended an EKG, right? That's good- but I would also
ask for an echo. IIRC, her hyperthyroidism was undiagnosed for several
years, right?. Even though most cardiac abnormalities resolve after the cat
is euthyroid for awhile, I'd want an echo to rule out or monitor myocardial
hypertrophy. I had my cat echoed 6 months after her I-131 tx- The few bucks
were definitely worth the peace of mind.

Wish us luck. (And wish me luck getting her
into
the carrier, she has a sixth sense about these things ...)

One less pill a day can only be a good thing, especially with this cat!

Post the results

Good luck!

Phil

Old July 20th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote

Your vet probably recommended an EKG, right? That's good- but I would
also
ask for an echo. IIRC, her hyperthyroidism was undiagnosed for several
years, right?. Even though most cardiac abnormalities resolve after the
cat
is euthyroid for awhile, I'd want an echo to rule out or monitor
myocardial
hypertrophy. I had my cat echoed 6 months after her I-131 tx- The few
bucks
were definitely worth the peace of mind.

Yes, she is scheduled for an EKG next week! I'll ask about the
echochardiagram.

This new vet is really good, and their facility is so nice. They don't even
have to
send their samples out to a lab, they have one right there! We just waited
15
minutes and she came back with the results, normal again, within a point or
two
of last time!

Poor baby is downstairs having a snack, tending her wounded pride at being
shoved in the carrier and poked with a needle. Thanks, Phil.

Old July 21st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:56:24 GMT, "cybercat"
wrote:

Poor baby is downstairs having a snack, tending her wounded pride at
being shoved in the carrier and poked with a needle. Thanks, Phil.

I hope the results are all good, and I agree with Phil on the echo so I
hope you can work that out.

We FINALLY found a wonderful vet and now both cats are too healthy to go,
hehe. Murphy and his danged lawas are finally on my side for a change.

--
Lynne