Anyone too hot still?

Old September 26th 05, 01:36 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 25 Sep 2005 08:24:15p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

2 years ago, I planted about 100 tulip bulbs in plots
that didn't have anything else going on yet.

I didn't follow my thought pattern during this post, but I meant to
write that only about 5 out of the 100 bulbs actually came up. I had
maybe one tulip flower that bloomed.

I've planted bare
root perenials that never showed to the light of day. I swear,
something gets them before they even come up. This year, a
Jacob's Ladder that I planted 2 years ago but disappeared that
year came back. It just shrivelled up before I even knew it was
in trouble because of draught.

--
Cheryl
Old September 26th 05, 02:29 AM
Jo Firey

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 25 Sep 2005 08:24:15p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

2 years ago, I planted about 100 tulip bulbs in plots
that didn't have anything else going on yet.

I didn't follow my thought pattern during this post, but I meant to
write that only about 5 out of the 100 bulbs actually came up. I had
maybe one tulip flower that bloomed.

Ground things like gophers and moles seem to think tulips are yummy. They
all but send me thank you cards when I plant them. I quit planting them
because they actually seem to draw the little monsters in from the orchards
and fields. Hyacinths seem to do well, as do daffodils and lilies. They
must taste bad.

I wonder if there is anything you can do to make the tulips less appetizing?

Jo

Old September 26th 05, 11:18 PM
Cheryl

On Sun 25 Sep 2005 09:29:10p, Jo Firey wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Ground things like gophers and moles seem to think tulips are
yummy. They all but send me thank you cards when I plant them.
I quit planting them because they actually seem to draw the
little monsters in from the orchards and fields. Hyacinths seem
to do well, as do daffodils and lilies. They must taste bad.

I wonder if there is anything you can do to make the tulips less
appetizing?

Thanks Jo. I read about something after this happened, and maybe
I'll try it this fall if I replant. Sprinkling cayenne pepper in
the hole. I tried this with bare root perenials (I've had a problem
with them not coming up too!) and my latest lilies actually did
come up this year, but if they're icky tasting, maybe I didn't need
to do that. I know I've got a terrible mole or vole problem with
all of the tunnels in my yard. I just really hate putting out traps
or poison for these little creatures, so I know I take my chances.

I've also seen little wire baskets that you can plant bulbs in that
critters can't get through, but that would add a lot to my
landscaping budget!

--
Cheryl
/who has brown thumbs