Mouse-capades!!

Old October 3rd 05, 08:11 PM
cathyxyz

Default Mouse-capades!!

Guess Sox is feeling better.....

www.cathy.co.za/mouse.html

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Old October 3rd 05, 10:27 PM
jmcquown

cathyxyz wrote:
Guess Sox is feeling better.....

www.cathy.co.za/mouse.html

I must say, that is one pretty stupid mouse. Why didn't it flee?

Jill

Old October 3rd 05, 10:39 PM
cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:
cathyxyz wrote:
Guess Sox is feeling better.....

www.cathy.co.za/mouse.html

I must say, that is one pretty stupid mouse. Why didn't it flee?

Jill

It tried.... many of the pics were blurred, so we only posted the clear
ones. Think it eventually "played dead", but Sox was just too clever
for it heh heh. He (Sox) has been playing 'king of the castle' ever
since.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Old October 3rd 05, 11:39 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:27:38 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

cathyxyz wrote:
Guess Sox is feeling better.....

www.cathy.co.za/mouse.html

I must say, that is one pretty stupid mouse. Why didn't it flee?

Jill

I forgot, Persia isn't a mouser, so you don't get to see this little
drama
(BTW, I see it IRL, I don't need to see mousie-snuff pics in RCPA)

Anyway, the mice often doesn't run away because it can't-- they are
often stunned from being hit, and they are disoriented.

Theresa

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old October 4th 05, 12:10 AM
jmcquown

cathyxyz wrote:
Guess Sox is feeling better.....

www.cathy.co.za/mouse.html

I must say, that is one pretty stupid mouse. Why didn't it flee?

Jill

I forgot, Persia isn't a mouser, so you don't get to see this little
drama

Persia is afraid of mice! Good thing I don't have them around often.

(BTW, I see it IRL, I don't need to see mousie-snuff pics in RCPA)

I was okay with the pics until the last one. Don't want to see dead animals
or animals about to be dead. No offense to Cathy.

Anyway, the mice often doesn't run away because it can't-- they are
often stunned from being hit, and they are disoriented.

Ah, that makes sense.

Theresa

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Old October 4th 05, 07:47 AM
cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:

(BTW, I see it IRL, I don't need to see mousie-snuff pics in RCPA)

Mousie-snuff pics? Isn't that a teensy-weensy bit dramatic? Wonder what
you call National Geographic or Animal Planet shows?

This is Usenet. Get over it.

I was okay with the pics until the last one. Don't want to see dead animals
or animals about to be dead. No offense to Cathy.

None taken, from you Jill. Our cats are true out-doors cats - both
originally strays. So they probably catch more mice (and birds) than
other "indoors" cats. However, even if I had left the last pic out, we
all know that it would have still ended in the same way. It's what
(most) cats do. To be honest - I don't mind them catching mice, as mice
are a real problem, not to mention a health risk, if they get into the
house. As for birds - I am not very happy about that, but there is
nothing I can do about that either. Anyhoo, if it makes you feel better,
I won't put anymore "snuff" pics up. Promise.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Old October 4th 05, 07:55 AM
Lumpy

"cathyxyz" wrote
I won't put anymore "snuff" pics up. Promise.

Thank you, Cathy. The pics you posted upset me all day.
My cats eat cat food and I use other means to keep mice
out of my house. (I like mice--alive-- too.)

Old October 4th 05, 10:40 AM
cathyxyz

Lumpy wrote:
"cathyxyz" wrote

I won't put anymore "snuff" pics up. Promise.

Thank you, Cathy. The pics you posted upset me all day.
My cats eat cat food and I use other means to keep mice
out of my house. (I like mice--alive-- too.)

No problem. Had no intention of "upsetting" people. Well, now I know.

However, I will say this: Mice may look "cute" and all that - but I have
had some problems with them in the past (before we had cats). They can
be real pests. Just one can cause quite a bit of damage to foodstuffs
and furnishings. My MIL was telling me that a mouse got into the back of
her piano years ago, and had its babies there. That must have been
"fun". The mice chewed up all that felt "lining" - cost her a bit to
have it repaired. They are rather clever and are very good at "breaking
and entering", avoiding traps, and are good at hiding, etc. And trapping
or poisoning them is not really "humane" either, if you think about it -
but sometimes one has no choice.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Old October 4th 05, 11:00 AM
jmcquown

cathyxyz wrote:
Lumpy wrote:
"cathyxyz" wrote

[...]

I'm not blaming you for anything. Cats do what cats do and yes, mice are
real pests.

In the 1980's I rented a house and there was construction going on one
street over which destroyed the habitat of the field mice. They found their
way into my house. (No, I didn't have a cat; I had my dog Sampson but he
wasn't a "mouser" by any means.) The little buggers got into my rice, my
cornmeal, dried soup mixes, pasta, you name it; if it wasn't in the
refrigerator or in cans they tore holes in the bags and ate their fill. I
lost a lot of food!

At the time I tried a mousetrap along the cabinet beside the fridge. After
one evening of baiting the trap with cheese and hearing the thing snap 6
times in an hour... ugh... constant emptying of the trap. I couldn't bring
myself to trap them anymore, it was too cruel. But I had to do *something*
so I set poison behind the fridge. At least they went outside to die so I
didn't have to dispose of little corpses, but I didn't like that option,
either.

There was one day I was watching television and saw something out of the
corner of my eye... there was a teensy tiny mouse, about 1 inch tall,
sitting on the fireplace hearth washing its whiskers. Too cute! But I
don't want them in my house! I found the hole where it ran and hid and
plugged it up with plaster.

Oh, and one day I caught one climbing my shower curtain in the bathroom. I
knocked it into the tub with a shoebox. Dropped the box on top and slid a
piece of cardboard under it and turned it loose outside. I had the
heebie-jeebies for a couple of days afterwards, though, imagining mice
crawling into bed with me. Eeep!

The construction stopped and the mice finally stopped invading my home, but
for a while it was a real challenge.

Jill

Old October 4th 05, 11:31 AM
cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:

I'm not blaming you for anything. Cats do what cats do and yes, mice are
real pests.

In the 1980's I rented a house and there was construction going on one
street over which destroyed the habitat of the field mice. They found their
way into my house. (No, I didn't have a cat; I had my dog Sampson but he
wasn't a "mouser" by any means.) The little buggers got into my rice, my
cornmeal, dried soup mixes, pasta, you name it; if it wasn't in the
refrigerator or in cans they tore holes in the bags and ate their fill. I
lost a lot of food!

Little buggers is being polite - under those circumstances.... know
what you mean - been there, done that.

some snipping

Yep. They really a pain sometimes and I know exactly how you feel.

We had a dog once that was a real "mouser". I felt sorry for one of the
mice he got a hold of one day and decided to rescue "the poor thing".
But... when I got my hands on said mouse the little bugger latched onto
my index finger with his teeth and bit me - hard - and he hung on
there. I was dancing around, yelling, flapping my arms in the air (I am
surprised it didn't rain) but he still hung on for dear life.
Ouuuuuch!. He eventually let go and dropped to the ground - only to be
caught by the dog - again. I am sure you will forgive me when I tell
you that I didn't attempt a second rescue. I know it seems funny now -
but I had a nasty bite on that finger that was painful for quite a
while. Had to go for shots and stuff - in case of infection, etc.

Anyhoo - back to cats. We have got some cool photos of the cats (in
fact we must have hundreds by now) so I will go thru them and put some
more "cat" pics in there soon.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)