Has the cost of catfood skyrocketed lately?

Old May 19th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Has the cost of catfood skyrocketed lately?

Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.
Old May 19th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 19 May 2007 13:01:24 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

I know local economies vary widely, but I just bought a few cans at my
regular place and they're the same price as before.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 19th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-05-19 12:01:24 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit said:

Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

Here, canned Fancy Feast has jumped at least .03.

Old May 19th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

Dunno about Petco (I am nearer to PetsMart, here in
Phoenix), but they charge thrty-five cents a can for
Friskies (although it's often on sale for thirty), while my
nearby Safeway and other supermarkets are up to FIFTY-five!
(But that's the same as they were charging when I moved
here last November.)

The only "change" I've noticed is that the six ounce cans of
Whiskas have suddenly disappeared, everywhere. The guy at
PetsMart told me they no longer make it, and all I see
anywhere now are the single-serving pouches and the
"gourmet" variety in the three ounce cans - both of which
cost a great deal more than "normal" Whiskas did. Is that
state of affairs true in the UK, too, or can you guys still
get the six ounce cans (or even the larger ones for multi
cat families)?
Old May 19th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

A little while ago I picked up a 13-ounce (368 g) can of super-healthy,
organic-everything cat food, and it was $1.69 for the can!! (Apologies,
I don't know the exchange rates.) I didn't find this out until I was at
the cash register, but I just said, "Oh whatever," they'll have a special
treat tonight. (snort! They turned up their noses at it!)

I wouldn't be surprised if all pet food has jumped in price - that seems
like a likely outcome of all the recalls. Everyone's operating costs have
gone up as a result, many companies have lost huge profits, so they're
trying to make that up somehow. But, worst of all, I think that as people
are getting more and more spooked about it, the companies that have not
been affected by the recalls have something of a captive market. I am not
surprised if some of them are gouging a bit - they'll charge what the
market will pay, after all.

Joyce
Old May 19th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

I heard on the news here that prices at grocery stores are dramatically
climbing (weather and gas prices being two of the excuses). Just what
we need now.

Ginger-lyn
Old May 19th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 19, 12:01 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

I haven't noticed that here, Karen. Fancy Feast even went down a
penny. Go figure that.

Sorry to hear that though. Petsmart seems high sometimes, unless
they've got a
sale on. I try to stock up on litter when they do have a sale, but
unless you've
got room to store it, that can be a hassle. (we don't have Petcos, but
I understand
they're a lot like Petsmart)

Sherry

Sherry

Old May 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

[...]

Well, I know most of you USAians turn up your noses at Whiskas but it hasn't
been recalled anywhere AFAIK. I know it is well researched as there is a
establishment dedicated to that not far from where I live and it is produced
in another plant 12 miles away. You might consider it while you think about
other options.
My two eat it and like it. Especially the pouches. They do dry food too
and both my cats love it but they've only ever had this for treaties.
Boyfie really likes dry best but I am afraid he might block and KFC has only
half her teeth left now.
I have no connection with the company, but the food seems safe and I thought
I would mention it.

Tweed

Old May 19th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ginger-lyn wrote:

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Or is it just Petco? I went to buy cat supplies today and I was
shocked that a perfectly ordinary load of Science Diet kibble (one
large bag and one small one), a large bag of Feline Pine, a dozen
small cans of food and a pot of catgrass came to sixty dollars! I was
so taken aback that I asked if the cashier had made a mistake and
double-charged me for something... but nope. Everything bar the canned
food has gone up a dollar or two since last time we shopped there.

I heard on the news here that prices at grocery stores are dramatically
climbing (weather and gas prices being two of the excuses). Just what
we need now.

Maybe because gas prices have gone up? Cost of shipping stuff, etc?

Joyce
Old May 19th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Well, I know most of you USAians turn up your noses at Whiskas but it hasn't
been recalled anywhere AFAIK. I know it is well researched as there is a
establishment dedicated to that not far from where I live and it is produced
in another plant 12 miles away. You might consider it while you think about
other options.

I feed my cats Friskies, another looked-down-on "junk food" brand.
They have also been spared any recalls, possibly for the same reason.

I've gone through a process over the past few weeks of investigating
what is involved in making my own food for them. Wow, what a maze of
confusing and contradictory information! And all from people who are
extremely opinionated about their own beliefs on what is best for
cats. There seems to be no middle ground.

There are the "raw foods" enthusiasts (a nice word for it ), who
think cooking meat for a cat is blasphemy. These people are pretty
savvy about nutrition, though, so I have paid attention to them for
that reason, to learn what cats' nutritional needs are. I've also
researched cooked-meat recipes and methods, and have been disappointed
in what I've found - lots of recipes containing potatoes, rice and
other grains, even spices! All things a cat does not need.

At this point, I'm reconsidering whether this is a reasonable course
for me to take. It might just make more sense for me to buy them a
more premium brand. There are some very good brands that haven't been
recalled. If I buy food that has no grains, at least I don't have
to worry about rice protein or wheat gluten or whatever. Although
I also read that some of those companies are recalling because their
food was manufactured at the same places where contaminated food was
made, which raises the risk of cross-contamination...

OY VEY!!! head spinning

Joyce