LETTING THE CAT OUT

Old April 4th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Geni

Default LETTING THE CAT OUT

Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.
Old April 4th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

Old April 4th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Geni" wrote

Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

It is useful for some environs. If living truely rural (well away from any
roads etc) it may be a bit more than needed, but in a city, it may be all
that is ever safe.

I grew up i small town farm area where the norm was with a few chickens, a
few cats in the barn, and a few cows. A dog or so at the level of the cows
and the cats took to the loft with the hay and grain.

Some here do not have that same background or situation and may never have.
For me now, all cats are indoor but I live in the city with too many big
streets too close. If I lived well in the country, I'd let'em sun outside.

Old April 5th 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

cybercat wrote:
"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

It seriously should depend on the cat. Some cats are very unhappy about
being kept indoors, no matter how long you try adjusting them to it. I
have 3 ex feral cats who were caught as adults, they're fine with my
home because they have the choice.

All 11(soon to be 9)of mine get a choice, outdoors in my enclosure or
indoors. My enclosure is attached to the house so they truly get a
choice. Outside has many dangers - cars, evil people, dogs...Unless
you're willing to be responsible for all these dangers, keep the cat
enclosed.
Old April 5th 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cazz A" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

It seriously should depend on the cat.

I said "unsupervised." That does not depend on the cat unless you don't care
what happens to the cat.

Old April 5th 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Cazz A wrote:
cybercat wrote:
"Geni" wrote in message
[...]

A large very friendly feral tuxedo ex-tom has moved into my car.
He's been around the neighborhood for years since he was a teenager.
I feed him, the neighbors who let their cats roam feed him too.
There's actually three large tuxedo roamers in the neighborhood
along with a few miscellaneous others. Narrow streets, speed bumps,
familiar people... Not the worst place for cats to be out.
Anyway, I brought the squatter inside during a snowstorm last winter
and as soon as he dried off and warmed up and ate something he went
and sat quietly by the door till I let him back out into the storm.

He hopped into his new home, the car in the carport...

As long as he keeps to the lease agreement of don't let me
drive off with him in the car and don't spray the seatcovers
I'll keep the back window unzipped...

*Some* places definitely aren't safe for cats to be out.
Old April 5th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:28:46 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

I think cats decide this on their own. Mine ripped a hole in window
insect netting and has used this to come and go as she pleases for
around 20 years now (My house is surrounded by parkland)

--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Old April 6th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

Constant supervision?

I think I have the ideal setup. A small backyard (around 18 * 50 feet)
that I have fenced in so they can't get out. Well, yes they could if
they really tried. They could climb one of the evergreens that is
higher than the fence and climb over. But they haven't yet.

Seriously, one of the reasons I bought the house was because I wanted
my cats to be able to go outside reasonably safely. Nothing in life is
guaranteed and it is possible that a hawk could swoop down and carry
one off (we do have some hawks around), and once in a great while one
of the cats kills a bird.

And there are some enemy cats in the neighborhood that sometimes come
close to the fence and there is some hissing. But the cats get to eat
grass and roll in the dirt and rest in the sun, or, in the shade
depending on the situation. Plus chasing butterflies - a big treat.

During the winter I keep a fairly close eye on them because I have to
keep the door closed. But yesterday was the first day where I could
leave the door open and they're free to go in and out. And that's what
they do. They spend most of the time outside but come in periodicially
to check to see if any food might have shown up. And I keep an eye out
of course.

I can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen to them, but I've done
the best I can reasonably do, and they love being able to go out. Espy
will sit at the back door complaining bitterly if I can't let him out
for some reason.

Plus, of course, I have the RF transmitters on their colllars so I can
track them within a few hundred feet.
Old April 6th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

Constant supervision?

I wasn't talking about fenced yards, but now that you mention it ...

Old April 6th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

I think cats decide this on their own. Mine ripped a hole in window
insect netting and has used this to come and go as she pleases for
around 20 years now (My house is surrounded by parkland)

You are the one with the forebrain and opposable thumbs, right?

LETTING PEOPLES CATS OUT WHEN THEY ARE STUD AND THEM BEING KILLED [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 5 June 12th 08 02:50 PM
Letting Eli Win Pat Cat anecdotes 7 May 18th 06 04:32 PM
letting the cat out of the bag. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 September 9th 05 02:59 PM
Letting the cat out Mat Overton Cats - misc 4 February 3rd 04 05:07 PM