Update: Benny's cloudy eye

Old November 19th 03, 11:56 PM
Rene

Default Update: Benny's cloudy eye

My b/f went to the opthamalagist (sp?) today to check on Benny's
cloudy eye. We had noticed it had definately got cloudier in the last
few days. After a number of tests, dilating the pupils, etc we learned
that he has a cataract in his left eye, most likely a genetic flaw
that has been there since kittenhood. The doctor didn't think it was
going to get worse; in fact, it might get better.

The right eye, the one we were concerned about, definately has a
cataract and also uvietis (again, sp). The doc didn't know which came
first, and since Benny is so young (3), she was puzzled. She didn't
think surgery was a good idea, as very few cats have had it done, and
some develop glaucoma and they'd have to remove the eye. We are to
give him prednizone drops and he will be rechecked in three weeks. The
prednizone is to reduce the pressure in the eye.

I'm not very thrilled about the news. He is most likely mostly or all
blind in that eye. My b/f is worried his other eye will give him
troubles. I know cats can and have done well with one eye (I have a
childhood cat whose had one eye for most of her life, and she's almost
17), but I can understand his frustration. It has not caused him any
less quality of life that I can see, except for being a bit more
clumsy on occasion.

I'll keep you posted on his followup visit,

Rene
Old November 20th 03, 01:06 AM
MaryL

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rene,

Thanks for updating us. I am so glad that you took Benny to an
ophthalmologist. That gives him his best chance. The news you report has
some glimmers of hope, but I can see why you are concerned about it. I hope
there will be some improvement. However, I would like to offer this
information on the "bighter" side, in case things do not improve -- even if
this were eventually to be a worst-case scenario and Benny were to lose all
vision (something I desperately hope will not happen), Benny can still have
a great life. As you know, Duffy is totally blind and has been since
birth -- yet he is truly a delight! He is a loving, wonderful, active,
playful, *happy, happy* cat. He can do almost anything a sighted cat can
do, and I sometimes call Holly his "seeing-eye cat" because Duffy will dash
through the house at full speed if Holly is in front of him. If you notice
that Benny seems to be having more problems with his sight, I would like to
recommend that you give him *vertical space.* Duffy loves to climb, and he
can maneuver carpeted poles easily even without vision. Get at least one
very sturdy cat tree (*tall*). Please take a look at my pictures (second
link below my signature) to see some of the carpeted "poles" I had built.
Holly enjoys them, too, but it is Duffy who really loves them because he is
so quick and agile in climbing -- I think he has compensated for what he has
lost in moving on the ground by becoming a little gymnast on the poles. He
also loves one of those circular toys with a corrugated cardboard center and
a ball in a track mounted on the exterior. He bats that ball around and
jumps after it -- and never loses it because it is always in a solid track.

I hope this does not sound negative. I hope with all my heart that Benny's
sight will stabilize or improve, but I did want to offer you the knowledge
that Benny can have a happy and healthy life even if his vision does
deteriorate.

Please feel free to send e-mail if you have any questions.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old November 20th 03, 02:17 AM
MC

Hi Rene,

Getting those eyedrops in can be difficult. I had to get my cat to look
away from the dropper tip (he would fixate on it) as the drop went in or it
was wiggle city.

Try not to be too discouraged while waiting for progress. Benny is a lucky
cat for having caring owners.

Marla

om...

Old November 20th 03, 07:41 PM
Mary

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
Hi Marla,

Luckily, since Benny doesn't have much sight in that eye, giving him
the drops has been pretty easy. He can't see it coming. I also have

treat waiting for him immediately after, which seems to help.

Poor guy had a rough night. He wasn't eating much (the doc said the
dilation stuff can leave a bitter taste in the mouth) and his
kitty-pal Tucker was hissing and swatting at him because of the
doctor's-office smell.

At least he played with me some, and this morning he seemed to have

bit more appetite. I think *we're* more upset than he is!

Rene

Poor Benny. He's lucky to have you to take care of him. I wonder if
eye problems like that are hereditary? I'm so sorry you all have to go
through this. He is so young.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 02:03 AM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 12:01 PM
Benny's cloudy eye--any thoughts? Rene Cat health & behaviour 30 November 15th 03 02:34 AM