Gray Cats turn Gray?

Old August 24th 03, 08:41 AM
Jill McQuown

Default Gray Cats turn Gray?

Persia was probably 3 years old when she adopted me. The vet guessed, based
on looking at her teeth. So that would make her now 5-1/2.

I've noticed when she rolls over on her back, she has grey (white-ish) fur
on her belly. Her front paws also seem to be getting a tad lighter. Is my
chubby gray cat going gray?!

Jill

Old August 24th 03, 05:30 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 02:41:50 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
wrote:

Persia was probably 3 years old when she adopted me. The vet guessed, based
on looking at her teeth. So that would make her now 5-1/2.

I've noticed when she rolls over on her back, she has grey (white-ish) fur
on her belly. Her front paws also seem to be getting a tad lighter. Is my
chubby gray cat going gray?!

Jill

Could it be attributed to the shedding season? MLB
Old August 24th 03, 06:44 PM
Hopitus2

Your chubby gray cat is gorgeous....remember I said I believed that with her
coloring, little heart-shaped face, and eyes, she closely resembled the very
rare Korat cat? Who cares if she has a few gray hairs on her belly? She is
truly soft and cuddly looking.

:

Old August 24th 03, 09:06 PM
Jill McQuown

Hopitus2 wrote:
Your chubby gray cat is gorgeous....remember I said I believed that
with her coloring, little heart-shaped face, and eyes, she closely
resembled the very rare Korat cat? Who cares if she has a few gray
hairs on her belly? She is truly soft and cuddly looking.

Oh, she's definintely soft and cuddly, and truly a loving gal, too. I'm
just wondering if I'm going to wind up with a (ahem) white cat as she gets
older!

Old August 24th 03, 11:50 PM
Yoj

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Jill McQuown" wrote in message
.. .
Persia was probably 3 years old when she adopted me. The vet

guessed,
based
on looking at her teeth. So that would make her now 5-1/2.

I've noticed when she rolls over on her back, she has grey

(white-ish) fur
on her belly. Her front paws also seem to be getting a tad lighter.

Is
my
chubby gray cat going gray?!

Jill

It's possible. I've noticed the same thing on my sister's gray cat.

MaryL

I noticed something I found even stranger. Skeeter is a black cat -
very black, except for a couple of white "designs" on her underside.
When I brushed her recently, I noticed that all the hair in the brush
was light gray. She still looks shiny black, so I guess that must be an
undercoat. Or something.

Joy

Old August 25th 03, 02:38 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Yoj wrote:

I noticed something I found even stranger. Skeeter is a black cat -
very black, except for a couple of white "designs" on her underside.
When I brushed her recently, I noticed that all the hair in the brush
was light gray. She still looks shiny black, so I guess that must be an
undercoat. Or something.

That's quite possible - I had semi-long haired black cat (black tabby,
actually - although the tabby markings were only visible in direct
sunlight). he was what the vet called a "smoke" tabby, because he had a
soft, fine white undercoat, which made the black not quite so black in
some areas.
Old August 25th 03, 03:05 AM
MaryL

"Jill McQuown" wrote in message
news
Hopitus2 wrote:
Your chubby gray cat is gorgeous....remember I said I believed that
with her coloring, little heart-shaped face, and eyes, she closely
resembled the very rare Korat cat? Who cares if she has a few gray
hairs on her belly? She is truly soft and cuddly looking.

Oh, she's definintely soft and cuddly, and truly a loving gal, too. I'm
just wondering if I'm going to wind up with a (ahem) white cat as she gets
older!

I doubt if your cat will actually turn white. I had a beautiful gray cat
who lived to be almost 20. There was some change in coloration as he aged,
but it was slight and was most noticeable around the mouth. He most
definitely did not turn white-haired, and I have never heard of that
happening (of course, I'm not an expert, either).

MaryL

Old August 26th 03, 04:07 AM
bewtifulfreak

Yoj wrote:

I noticed something I found even stranger. Skeeter is a black cat -
very black, except for a couple of white "designs" on her underside.
When I brushed her recently, I noticed that all the hair in the brush
was light gray. She still looks shiny black, so I guess that must be
an undercoat. Or something.

I think so....when we brush our black rabbit, all the fur that comes out is
light gray, and when he moults (which is *always*!), he's got gray tufts
sticking out. Even with our black cats, they brush out gray. So, yeah,
must be the undercoat, cuz our cats are *very* black. So is the rabbit,
actually, but he doesn't look it as much with all those tufts sticking out;
we tried brushing him for about half hour one night to get as much as we
could out, and he was tufty again the next day! He is one *fluffy* bunny
(and he's just figured out how to use that cat door, little bugger).... ~

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 26th 03, 04:09 AM
bewtifulfreak

Jill McQuown wrote:

I've noticed when she rolls over on her back, she has grey
(white-ish) fur on her belly. Her front paws also seem to be getting
a tad lighter. Is my chubby gray cat going gray?!

I do know cats sometimes change color a bit as they age, but I think it's
usually a lot later. She might be going gray, but more likely, like someone
else mentioned, it's a seasonal or undercoat thing.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 26th 03, 04:14 AM

bewtifulfreak wrote:

Jill McQuown wrote:

I've noticed when she rolls over on her back, she has grey
(white-ish) fur on her belly. Her front paws also seem to be getting
a tad lighter. Is my chubby gray cat going gray?!

I do know cats sometimes change color a bit as they age, but I think it's
usually a lot later. She might be going gray, but more likely, like
someone else mentioned, it's a seasonal or undercoat thing.

My mother had a black cat who turned a rusty orange-brown when she got
older. I don't know if that's common or not. It looked like someone had
left her out in the rain.

Joyce