if only they could speak to us!

Old June 10th 05, 09:33 PM
kitkatluna

Default if only they could speak to us!

How the hell am I supposed to know if Jasper needs pain meds or not? I
do *not* want to drug him out so I have been very conservative with
them. He is not showing any signs of pain, but as we all know, they
don't like to! I figure the pain meds, though they will help his mouth
feel better, will serve more to disorient him. I don't want him to
continue bumping into everything!

He has been spending time sleeping as well as doing normal stuff like
eating, using the litter box, and even walking by the cat scratch box
and hopping on for a "ride". He can't be *too* miserable, can he?

TALK TO ME, JASPER!

lol,
pam
(curious about conan!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old June 10th 05, 10:48 PM
Karen

I would think his is fine without. If he is acting normal, then he must be
pretty good. I wouldn't want to give them to him either.

Old June 11th 05, 01:12 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:33:35 GMT, kitkatluna
wrote:

How the hell am I supposed to know if Jasper needs pain meds or not? I
do *not* want to drug him out so I have been very conservative with
them. He is not showing any signs of pain, but as we all know, they
don't like to! I figure the pain meds, though they will help his mouth
feel better, will serve more to disorient him. I don't want him to
continue bumping into everything!

He has been spending time sleeping as well as doing normal stuff like
eating, using the litter box, and even walking by the cat scratch box
and hopping on for a "ride". He can't be *too* miserable, can he?

TALK TO ME, JASPER!

lol,
pam
(curious about conan!!!!!!!!!!!)

One thing I learned with the horrible Howard episode was that cats are
extremely accomplished in hiding their discomfort. Think about it - as
a competitive predator, they can't afford to show weakness, or they're
finished.

As for speaking to us, my current problem is that Louis won't STOP
speaking to us. The only problem is I don't speak cat.

BLink
Old June 11th 05, 01:31 AM
KellyH

"kitkatluna" wrote in message
How the hell am I supposed to know if Jasper needs pain meds or not? I do
*not* want to drug him out so I have been very conservative with them. He
is not showing any signs of pain, but as we all know, they don't like to!
I figure the pain meds, though they will help his mouth feel better, will
serve more to disorient him. I don't want him to continue bumping into
everything!

He has been spending time sleeping as well as doing normal stuff like
eating, using the litter box, and even walking by the cat scratch box and
hopping on for a "ride". He can't be *too* miserable, can he?

I just went through the same thing with Ana. I was trying to be
conservative with her pain med also because she has a liver disorder, so it
takes longer for it to process through her system. When she was drugged up,
I couldn't tell if she was laying there doing nothing and not eating because
she is drugged, or because she feels bad. I let the drugs wear off and then
observed her. She perked up and started doing some of her normal things,
but when I found her curled up in the corner looking sad again, that's when
I gave her another dose.
I would just keep an eye on him and if he starts to look like he's in pain,
then give him the med.

(curious about conan!!!!!!!!!!!)

Me too!

--
-Kelly

Old June 11th 05, 04:32 AM
Brad

I'm sure I am in the minority here but I would not hesitate to give
the cat the pain meds and not gamble on wether the cat is hurting or
not......as long as you feel confident that your vet prescribed the
proper meds.

I live with severe chronic pain so I may let that cloud my judgement a
little bit but I really don't think so........if he isn't in pain he
might enjoy the buzz.......lol......kidding.......if he is in pain the
meds will help him if he isnt in pain the meds wont hurt
him.....sounds logical to me.....

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old June 11th 05, 05:20 AM
kitkatluna

Brad wrote:

I live with severe chronic pain so I may let that cloud my judgement a
little bit but I really don't think so........if he isn't in pain he
might enjoy the buzz.......lol......kidding.......if he is in pain the
meds will help him if he isnt in pain the meds wont hurt
him.....sounds logical to me.....

Believe me, I do NOT want him to suffer. And I am not afraid of meds.
What I worry about in his particular situation is that he is deaf AND
blind and that being all woozie like that may cause him to fall or hurt
himself. He can get somewhat disoriented. But I did give him one
tonight...i had to break the pills up into quarters, and one of them did
not come out very evenly, so I gave him one of the smaller quarters. He
is currently sprawled out on the couch sleeping.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Pam
Old June 13th 05, 06:27 AM
Brad

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:20:08 GMT, kitkatluna
wrote:

Believe me, I do NOT want him to suffer.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Pam

I hope nothing I said made you think I hinted that you would want him
to suffer.......that thought never crossed my mind......you seemed
more responsible than anything else......

Old June 13th 05, 09:01 AM
kitkatluna

wrote:

Believe me, I do NOT want him to suffer.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Pam

I hope nothing I said made you think I hinted that you would want him
to suffer.......that thought never crossed my mind......you seemed
more responsible than anything else......

I sure try!
I think you were just saying that as a chronic pain sufferer, you would
take the pain pills. (I am and would too! )

It is so hard to know what is best for these little babes of ours
sometimes!
Pam