Did I speak too soon?

Old August 18th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Did I speak too soon?

About curing Kitty's recent toilet habits? It was all going so well with
the new litterbox. When I got home from work I went upstairs to the
bathroom where I knew I had left my fleece sweater over the side of the bath
(my house is cold and I needed to put it on) and found it had fallen off on
to the bathroom floor. When I put it on, the sleeve was wet.
So it seems KFC is peeing on my clothes again despite the litter box being
inches away.
Tonight I turned around at the sound of scratching on the hearthrug. It
looked like KFC was about to pee on there, so I picked her up and took her
upstairs and put her next to her litterbox. She made to go downstairs, so I
picked her up again and put her actually in the newly cleaned box. She came
out straight away and opened her mouth at me, which is her attempt at a
miaow.
So I thought, OK, you don't want the box, maybe you want to pee outside, so
I took her outside where there is loose soil (dirt) and closed the door.
Big hint.
She drank deeply from the outside waterbowl and came back to the door. I
didn't let her in at first because I wanted her to toilet herself outside,
since the litterbox obviously didn't suit.
And then I *noticed* that her rug scratching was an attempt to cover up what
she had already done. I had been reading a magazine and had put it on the
floor near my armchair while I went into the kitchen to prepare a meal.
Kitty had peed on the magazine big time.
I am not sure what to do. Part of me says maybe TED ought to take a look at
her. I will certainly have to get a stronger cat box that I have now as she
fights like a tiger inside a box and has shredded and got out of any I have
used up to now. KFC angry out of the box inside my car is not a good thing
while I am driving to TED's.
It freaks her out to go to the vet. Her eyes are as big as dinner plates
(well, nearly) when her box is opened on the vet's table and her head comes
out like a jack in the box. A nurse is required to restrain her.
I want to do only the best for her. Do you think it might be time to let
her go at the age of 20?
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

crying
Tweed

Old August 18th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
snip
I want to do only the best for her. Do you think it might be time to
let her go at the age of 20?
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I
will consider it.

crying
Tweed

Definately not! It would be a good idea to talk to the vet, but hopefully
KFC has a few more years yet.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old August 18th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Well, it could be as simple as a UTI. If she isn't a good TED patient, get a
urine sample and take it in. If she doesn't pill well, ask for baytril
shots. That is where I would start.

Old August 18th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-18, Christina Websell penned:
It freaks her out to go to the vet. Her eyes are as big as dinner plates
(well, nearly) when her box is opened on the vet's table and her head comes
out like a jack in the box. A nurse is required to restrain her.
I want to do only the best for her. Do you think it might be time to let
her go at the age of 20?
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

Oscar hates wearing her plastic collar, hates going to the vet, hates
having her paw soaked ... and though it breaks my heart to see her
miserable, I still do it when that's what's best for her.

You're describing a cat who's peeing inappropriately. I remember you
posting that you've had dogs who were incontinent, and you put up with
it and ripped up the carpetting after they were gone. Why are you
even talking about "letting her go"? Find a way to get her to the
vet, or get the vet to her. Unless there's something going on that
you haven't mentioned in any of your posts, I can't see a single
reason to think that she's ready to die.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 18th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

crying
Tweed

If the vet doesn't find a UTI, you might ask about a prescription for an
anti-depressant. I've heard from several people that Prozac, sometimes
Wellbutrin, can help a lot with inappropriate littering problems. And if
you can't get an antidepressant into her by mixing it with food, they also
make an ointment you rub on the inside of the ear. DEFINITELY worth trying!

Dan
Old August 18th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

About curing Kitty's recent toilet habits? It was all going so well with
the new litterbox. When I got home from work I went upstairs to the
bathroom where I knew I had left my fleece sweater over the side of the bath
(my house is cold and I needed to put it on) and found it had fallen off on
to the bathroom floor. When I put it on, the sleeve was wet.
So it seems KFC is peeing on my clothes again despite the litter box being
inches away.

[snip]
I want to do only the best for her. Do you think it might be time to let
her go at the age of 20?
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

No!! Absolutely not. Unless she is suffering, it is not time to let her
go.

I would first do what others have suggested, and check for a UTI or some
other medical condition. Do you have any vets who do house calls? I mean
for a cat - I know you live in a rural area where a vet might come out
to see a horse or some other hard-to-transport animal. That might be
better than putting her through the trauma of going there, if it's an
option. I also liked Karen's suggestion of bringing in a urine sample.

If she doesn't have a medical condition, then another thing I might
suggest is a second litterbox downstairs. She might have peed on the
floor because she didn't have the energy to go up the steps. And then
when you brought her to the litterbox, maybe she came right back out
because she had already peed, and didn't need to use the box right then.
If there had been a box downstairs, she might have used it. She has
already demonstrated that she is willing to use a litterbox.

Purrs for you and KFC, especially from Licky for his sweet girl.

Joyce
Old August 18th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2006-08-18, Christina Websell penned:
[...]

She isn't. Sometimes I need validation that I am doing the right thing
because my cat experience is around 2 out of 10.

Tweed

Old August 19th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:29:33 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Does she seem to want to hide? If she is near the end, she may run away
if she goes outside. When Princess was near the end, I kept moving her
litter box closer for her. At the end the litter box and her water were
on a plastic sheet within 3 feet of her bed.

Purrs for her comfort (and yours also). MLB

Old August 19th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Dan M wrote:
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

crying
Tweed

If the vet doesn't find a UTI, you might ask about a prescription for an
anti-depressant. I've heard from several people that Prozac, sometimes
Wellbutrin, can help a lot with inappropriate littering problems. And if
you can't get an antidepressant into her by mixing it with food, they also
make an ointment you rub on the inside of the ear. DEFINITELY worth trying!

Dan

Rusty was put on Clomicalm, an anti-depressant, for inappropriate
urination after the vet
couldn't find anything wrong with him. It worked right away with the
first dose. After a couple of months, I successfully weaned him off
from it. It came in pill form. I know others
had a pharmacy put flavouring on it to make it more tasty.

Winnie

Old August 19th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:09:45 -0700, Dan M wrote:

Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

crying
Tweed

If the vet doesn't find a UTI, you might ask about a prescription for an
anti-depressant. I've heard from several people that Prozac, sometimes
Wellbutrin, can help a lot with inappropriate littering problems. And if
you can't get an antidepressant into her by mixing it with food, they also
make an ointment you rub on the inside of the ear. DEFINITELY worth trying!

One of my sister's cats is on a daily dose of Prozac. He is a bit
neurotic, and, without the medicine, responds to any change from
ordinary circumstances by peeing on the out-of-place item.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from