Cleaning litterboxes, revisited

Old June 27th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default Cleaning litterboxes, revisited

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:51:11 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

Unscrew the heat lamp and use that fan. Assuming the heater is a screw
in type lamp.

This makes me realize just how many small problems are caused by the fact
that the world is not a friendly place for people of my body type. That
being short'n'fat [TM]. The short part means I can't reach things, such as
heat lamps that are in the ceiling. And the fat part means that 99% of
ladders that you can buy in a discount store, which are reasonably priced,
are not rated for my "weight class". The more sturdy ladders that are
rated for my weight are very expensive.

(Wait - did I say more lightweight ladders are "reasonably" priced? *No*
ladder is reasonably priced. But sturdy ones are astronomical.)

You got that right! I have nice fiberglass step and extension ladders for
outside and a couple of different two and three step fold-up ladders for
inside. The fiberglass ladders cost a fortune.

I guess if you're a guy, you tend to take stuff like being able to reach
high bulbs, etc, for granted.

I don't: I have mobility and stability (and flakey blood pressure) issues
that make things on the ceiling sometimes risky to reach, even with a step
ladder. Fortunately, my weight is just under the rating for the ladders I
use indoors (the outdoors ones are construction grade). Anyway, you can
safely ignore the weight rating for the first step or two, up to a factor
of two or so - for quality ladders (cheap ones have little or no safety
factor; good ones have good ones).

Sorry, I don't mean to be discarding your advice - it's actually
excellent advice, and if it were easy for me to do it, I would! I would
really like to have a usable fan without that stupid heater. Hmmm...
where's my 6-foot friend when I need him?

I haven't tried this, but the squeeze handle gripper I use for picking up
things off the floor (it has a pair of rubber cups at the end of the pole
that come together when the handles are squeezed) might work - provided
the lamp isn't too wide. You only need to twist the lamp a half turn or
so.

--
T.E.D. )

Old June 27th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:36:17 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

1) dump the litter
2) scrape out the sticky residue

Instruction #2 is a major one. One of my cats' pee does not clump.
Instead, it creates a sludgy, grainy paste at the bottom of the box, like
wet cement. When I scoop that stuff out, the barely formed clumps fall
apart, and dark, wet litter falls back into the box and gets mixed in with
the relatively clean stuff. That's why I have to clean the boxes so often
- they start to smell within a week, even with frequent scooping. And
that's why I'm so obsessed with disinfectants. It's the only way to keep
the odor under control.

I've tried many different kinds of litter and the result is about the
same. In fact, this is the best kind I've used.

Very large, very deep litter boxes help ... at least they move the mess to
the end instead of the bottom. I use 35 quart plastic storage boxes with
about 35-40 pounds of litter in each. There is enough room to scrape the
mess off with the scoop. The clumps fragment, but not into small pieces.
The remaining residue dries out overnight (I rotate each box when I scoop
so that the end with the mess becomes the end they don't mess at).

One way to deal with that problem is to cycle litter boxes every day or
so: scoop what you can, then sprinkle some baking soda on one, pick it up
and put a cover on it for a day or so to let the clumps dry out and harden
while the other box is scooped and placed in service. The storage boxes I
use come with lids.

--
T.E.D. )

Old June 28th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

hopitus wrote:
Forgive this OT non-bleach related post but please, ladies of short
stature, re the 'seatbelt-crossing-neck area" issue, do not EVER
give in to the urge to slip the diagonal chest strap which crosses
your neck area at its upper end under your arm for comfort and
less annoyance driving!

I usually find myself holding the seat belt out from my throat with my
hand. Often I don't even remember deciding to do that, it's just a
reflex because the chafing is really annoying. I don't know how this
would affect me in case of an accident. Haven't found out so far. knock
on wood

Old June 28th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Default Shoulder Harnesses in Cars (was Cleaning litterboxes, revisited)

Marina wrote:
hopitus wrote:
Forgive this OT non-bleach related post but please, ladies of short
stature, re the 'seatbelt-crossing-neck area" issue, do not EVER
give in to the urge to slip the diagonal chest strap which crosses
your neck area at its upper end under your arm for comfort and
less annoyance driving!

I usually find myself holding the seat belt out from my throat with my
hand. Often I don't even remember deciding to do that, it's just a
reflex because the chafing is really annoying. I don't know how this
would affect me in case of an accident. Haven't found out so far. knock
on wood

My mother got an extender that moves the position of the shoulder
restraint without compromising the integrity of it's purpose. It fits
between the latch and buckle of the seat belt, and is about 6 inches
long. It has a latch and a buckle on it, just like the seat belt.
Since there are differences between latches & buckles from manufacturer
to manufacturer, and even from model to model among the same
manufacturer, she went through her dealer to get one that would work in
her car. Much safer than the "clips" that one can buy that moves the
shoulder harness.

There are also fake 'wool' things made to wrap around the shoulder
harness so that it is less irritating to a person, and cushions you in
an impact. Check the automotive accessories section of your local
department store/retailer. Here's an example
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...=Seat+Belt+Pad
or
http://tinyurl.com/6r3lq9

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 28th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

department store/retailer. Here's an examplehttp://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineC...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/6r3lq9

--
*^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
email me at nalee1964 (at) comcast (dot) nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mgcmdjeep

Good info.! I'd need one. The seat belt in the truck goes across my
neck. Probably not real safe either. I've also been told that in my
car,
the airbag would probably knock my teeth out becuase I'm short.
I need a booster chair :-)

Sherry
Old June 28th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:29?am, Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

My mother got an extender that moves the position of the shoulder
restraint without compromising the integrity of it's purpose. ?

Good info.! I'd need one. The seat belt in the truck goes across my
neck. Probably not real safe either.

Hopefully, neither of you drives a Honda. They refuse to make seat
belt extenders. Believe me, they have been bugged about it. And begged
about it. They just plain refuse. (You have to get ones that are
compatible with your seatbelts/car make. They're not standard,
unfortunately.)

I've also been told that in my
car, the airbag would probably knock my teeth out becuase I'm short.

Eeek, I had no idea that was an issue!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 28th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

wrote:
Sherry wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:29?am, Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

My mother got an extender that moves the position of the shoulder
restraint without compromising the integrity of it's purpose. ?

Good info.! I'd need one. The seat belt in the truck goes across my
neck. Probably not real safe either.

Hopefully, neither of you drives a Honda. They refuse to make seat
belt extenders. Believe me, they have been bugged about it. And begged
about it. They just plain refuse. (You have to get ones that are
compatible with your seatbelts/car make. They're not standard,
unfortunately.)

Mom drives a Ford Fusion - used to drive a Ford Contour. I drive a Jeep
- and I'm taller than Mom so I have no problems w/ seat belts

Old June 28th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 25, 12:32*am, wrote:
OK, forget the bleach. I can't deal with all the precautions you have
to take, lest you inadvertently create deadly gases in your bathtub.

I'm going to go the environmentally friendly route. So I bought some
vinegar and some baking soda. And then I went hunting through my saved
articles from RPCA about this topic, but sadly I didn't find any recipes
for disinfecting cleaners made from these substances.

However, I did find this:

From: Sherry

This works *wonderfully* if anyone ever needs it: You take 1/2 cup of
salt, and 1/2 cup of baking soda and pour it down the drain. Then you
pour in about a cup of vinegar. You let that fizz a while, then pour
a pan of boiling water down it. Our back bathroom sink used to get
hair clogs a lot. I do that in that bathroom too, and it *never*
clogs up anymore.

This might not be for cleaning litterboxes, but I figure that if it can
unclog a drain, then maybe it can disinfect a litterbox? Any thoughts?

Sorry for harping on what is probably a boring topic for most of you,
but I am searching for the perfect cleaning agent which is (1) an
effective disinfectant, (2) not poisonous to humans or cats, and (3)
not a harsh mixture to pour into the sewers. So far, I've batted a
perfect zero. Please tell me I've found the holy grail!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. *^..^

Try it and see! Like Matt said, cats hate the smell of vinegar, but
they
hate bleach too; once it's dried and aired, and fresh litter poured on
top,
I don't think the vinegar smell would put them off.
The only drawback I see is that bleach kills a lot of disease germs
like
herpes, parvo, and even ringworm; I don't think vinegar/baking soda
would. But
if your intent is a better-smelling box, and you're not worried about
those other
things, then who cares?
I think the Holy Grail of Litterbox Disinfectants is available for
purchase at the vet's office. It smells nice, is supposed to be quite
safe, and allegedly no virus or parasite or germ can survive. The
drawback is, it's HORRIBLY expensive, IIRC; the
vet donated some to the shelter once, and when we inquired about
buying it, it seems like it was like $30 for a small bottle of
concentrate.
I don't wash boxes nearly as often as I used to, unless they obviously
need it, like
debris stuck to the side of the box or something.

Sherry

Sherry
Old June 29th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
My mother got an extender that moves the position of the shoulder
restraint without compromising the integrity of it's purpose. It fits
between the latch and buckle of the seat belt, and is about 6 inches
long. It has a latch and a buckle on it, just like the seat belt. Since
there are differences between latches & buckles from manufacturer to
manufacturer, and even from model to model among the same manufacturer,
she went through her dealer to get one that would work in her car.

That's probably a good product, but I don't have a car. I just ride
along in one sometimes - usually my sister's or my brother's - so I
couldn't get a car-specific thinguie.