Long-lost kitty returned after almost a decade, fueling 9 lives theory

Old January 7th 13, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Long-lost kitty returned after almost a decade, fueling 9 lives theory

http://now.msn.com/vanilla-the-cat-r...lost?gt1=50501
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ng-lost-years/

Old January 7th 13, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/7/2013 1:16 AM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 00:18:04 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

http://now.msn.com/vanilla-the-cat-r...lost?gt1=50501
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ng-lost-years/

Same kind of thing here recently in San Diego.
Cat missing 7 year from Colorado was discovered
here, and was reunited with it's past slaves.

A wonderful story. Fortunately the original owner hadn't changed her
cell phone number!

Microchips are wonderful BUT they are only as good as the information
they contain. When I moved from TN to SC I called the microchip company
and had them change the info in Persia's records to reflect our new
address and phone number. Just in case...

Jill

Old January 7th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

http://now.msn.com/vanilla-the-cat-r...lost?gt1=50501

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ng-lost-years/

Same kind of thing here recently in San Diego.
Cat missing 7 year from Colorado was discovered
here, and was reunited with it's past slaves.

A wonderful story. Fortunately the original owner hadn't changed her
cell phone number!

Microchips are wonderful BUT they are only as good as the information
they contain. When I moved from TN to SC I called the microchip company
and had them change the info in Persia's records to reflect our new
address and phone number. Just in case...

Jill

Along with calling the microchip company to update Persia's info, when
we moved I also ordered a new tag for her collar. (I realize not
everyone's cat has a collar with a tag. Persia does.) I got her a new
tag after we moved with the correct phone number. Even if Persia did
run out the door (unlikely at her age) someone nearby would most likely
find her and call the number on her tag. There are a lot of cat slaves
on this island who would notice a cat with a collar hanging around

Or, Persia could find her way back. She only ran off once shortly after
she adopted me. IIRC we'd been together about 3 months. Someone had
front-declawed her so I wasn't about to let her out of the apartment
without even the ability to climb a tree. She was adapting nicely to
being an indoor, pampered cat, too. Except one day I opened the door to
sign for a package. She darted out the front door. Oh no! Persia!

I found her behind another apartment, and was coaxing her soothingly.
She wanted to explore. I followed her through the apartment complex. I
think she was finally tiring of this "adventure" when some guy opened
his front door and let out two big dogs (not on leashes). Persia saw
them and *bolted*. I basically yelled at the man he was an idiot while
running down the street chasing Persia.

I looked for her for *hours*. It was dark. I called for her. I had to
be at work the next day so I finally had to go to bed. I called for her
again that morning, but I had to leave. Trust me, I didn't do anything
but worry about her all day long.

The next day, still no sign of her. She was gone for 48 hours.

I got home that 2nd night. It was a nice spring evening and I had the
windows open. I'd gone out onto the enclosed patio and called for
Persia over and over. I resigned myself to never seeing her again. She
came, she lived with me a little while, now she's moved on. I started
crying.

Then I heard a sound at the window. A very soft, "Meow?" Persia?!
Meow! I looked and saw her pretty face staring back at me through the
window screen. She came home!

I opened the back door and she ran in. The poor little thing had
apparently spent the night under a shrub. She had leaves stuck to her
fur and a little bit of dried mud. I fed her and she drank lots of
water. (I suspect she'd had to drink out of muddy puddles while she was
gone.) I sat on the couch and tapped for her to get up. I brushed all
the gunk out of her fur and thanked her for coming back to her meowmie.
She purred. And she's never tried to run out of the house again.

Jill
Old January 7th 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

That was obviously a horrendous experience for both of you. I'm glad it
turned out okay.

Joy

Old January 11th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

http://now.msn.com/vanilla-the-cat-r...lost?gt1=50501
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ng-lost-years/

Same kind of thing here recently in San Diego.
Cat missing 7 year from Colorado was discovered
here, and was reunited with it's past slaves.

Although I like the idea of it,
whether a cat remembers its past home after 7 or 10 years I don't know.
Boyfie lost his past home for whatever reason and whether he would like to
because they didn't neuter him and he wandered way away. Pity. They lost a
wonderful boy.
Tweed

To reply by email, lose the Ks...