A cat story from Alaska

Old October 25th 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default A cat story from Alaska

My sister lives in Valdez, a relatively small town in Alaska, which is miles
and miles from anywhere else. Recently there was a heart-warming story in
the Valdez newspaper. Some people were (stupidly) driving somewhere with
their cat loose in the car and the window open. The cat jumped out, and
they weren't able to find her, even though they searched. Sadly, they
returned home. They would go back to the general area sometimes and call,
but the cat never showed up. Since it is a small town, there was a story in
the local newspaper about the lost cat.

Bears were roaming all around at that time, and there are also eagles that
have been known to take cats and small dogs, so nobody believed the cat
could survive.

Four months later, the newspaper got a call saying that a cat had been
spotted near an abandoned railway tunnel a few miles from where the cat had
gotten out of the car. The editor got an animal trap, drove up to the
railway tunnel, and actually managed to trap the cat.

He drove the cat directly to the only vet's office in the town, so it could
be checked over. Since the cat matched the description of the missing cat,
he also told the owners the cat was there, and they came to see. It was
definitely their cat, and she was as happy to see them as they were to see
her.

Nobody knows how the cat managed to live on its own for four months, but it
is assumed she took shelter in the railway tunnel, and apparently was able
to catch voles and other small critters.

My brother-in-law was in on the reunion, since he is the vet's assistant.

Joy

--
Joy

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
- Groucho Marx

Old October 26th 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

It just goes to show how incredible cats are.

--
Adrian
Old October 26th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 10/25/2011 03:48 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

What a heartwarming story! MLB

Old October 26th 11, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I love stories with happy endings! That's one smart cat. (Hopefully the
people have learned not to drive around with a cat loose in the car and the
windows down.)

Jill

Old October 26th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

That's what my sister said, and I agree. Every time she talks about it she
gets angry all over again about that irresponsibility.

Joy

Old October 31st 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Joy" wrote in message

My brother-in-law was in on the reunion, since he is the vet's assistant.

Joy

Brevity snip!

It's good to hear GOOD NEWS once in awhile. )

Old November 2nd 11, 06:30 AM
Miguel Miguel is offline
Junior Member

Last spring we had some folk move in down the street. Not quite sure where they came from but they do some mighty strange things now and again. They brought with them a very large yellow tom cat. This cat wore out his welcome in the neighborhood in short order. He spent some of the time on the back of their couch looking out the picture window. Most of his time was spent poo pooing in all the neighborhood sandboxes and spraying every back door he could find.

Early this morning at 1:23 AM I was awakened to a gunshot and the whump sound that often means something caught a bullet. I pulled on my britches and head out the front door but the front porch was as far as I was going minus shoes. Several other neighbors also came out to see what the ruckus was all about but they stayed on the porch as well and in the end we all just went back to bed. This morning mother dearest no more than backed out the drive heading to work when the phone rang. It was mother on her cell. You need to come look at whats on the side of the road in front of house. Sure enough there lay that beeg ole yeller cat and he didn't even have enough head left to hold his collar on. Way layed right there smack dab in the middle of town with a big iron
Old November 7th 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

When I've travelled with Persia I even made sure her carrier was
[seat]belted! I would never have allowed her to wander around in the car,
even if the windows were up!

Jill

Old November 7th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

I love happy endings...