Vaccincation Question....please help!

Old January 25th 04, 01:49 PM
Janice

Default Vaccincation Question....please help!

I have two TOTALLY indoor cats. I decided last year not to continue
vaccinating them (they are 5). However, last summer I found a tame but
unneutered male cat outside (approximately 1 year old) and had it neutered,
got it tested and had him vaccinated. He is the most loving, sweet cat and
I know at one time he was an indoor/outdoor cat because he always looks in
the door and wants to come in. Totally heartbreaking. I didn't want to let
him in because I thought he would be unhappy being a totally indoor cat and
I didn't think it was fair for him to go in and out and my other two to stay
inside. He has shelter, garage and basement, however closing the door on
his adorable face is becoming a bit much for me!

My QUESTION is, is it safe to try and bring him in at this point with him
being vaccinated (rabies, distemper and feline leukemia only) and my indoor
cats NOT being vaccinated at all???? I would appreciate any answers or
advice. Thank you so much....Janice

Old January 25th 04, 02:07 PM
Angela

My QUESTION is, is it safe to try and bring him in at this point with him
being vaccinated (rabies, distemper and feline leukemia only) and my indoor
cats NOT being vaccinated at all???? I would appreciate any answers or
advice

If he has been around since last summer, quarantine him for the amount of time
your vet recommends (if he hasn't been quarantined in the garage), and then
bring him in.

If he's tested and quarantined, then he's not going to pass anything on to your
cats.

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.

Old January 25th 04, 02:21 PM
Gail

I would have him tested again for feline leukemia and if he's OK, I would
integrate with the other two in your house. I have done this twice myself.
Gail

Old January 26th 04, 02:23 AM
Liz

"Gail" wrote in message news:
I would have him tested again for feline leukemia and if he's OK, I would
integrate with the other two in your house. I have done this twice myself.
Gail

I believe I remember reading that adult cats do not get feline
leukemia in a lawsuit done by some Texan vet against all vets in Texas
for malpractice. I´m too tired right now but I´ll try to look it up.

Old January 26th 04, 08:07 PM
jamie

Janice wrote:
I have two TOTALLY indoor cats. I decided last year not to continue
vaccinating them (they are 5). However, last summer I found a tame but

I think you should reconsider. I don't vaccinate my indoor cats for
diseases only passed by contact with another infected cat, but I do keep
them vaccinated for distemper and rabies.

Feline distemper is an airborne pathogen, so your cats will be at risk.

Rabies vaccination is usually required by law. A rabid bat could get
into your house, or your cats could escape and encounter a rabid skunk,
possum, or raccoon -- all of which often live in cities as well as in
suburban and rural areas. Bats can fit through cracks only 1/4 inch
wide, and in a friend's bat-infested house, they came out through the
light fixtures when their exit from the attic was blocked up.

According to the CDC, any unvaccinated cat or dog that is bitten by a wild
animal needs to be either euthanized or kept in isolation for 6 months.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."