declawing

Old August 15th 03, 09:07 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Katra" wrote in message
Personally, I hate declawing and don't think it should be done for no
valid reason, but I agree with the above. Sometimes it's necessary. See
here for a valid reason to declaw. With this cat, it was a choice
between declawing him or getting rid of him:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bleys/Dyson1yScrtch.jpg

It was not his first offense, but it was the one that nearly did some
serious damage.

What would *you* do????

I don't know about anyone else, but that looks awfully wide and blunt to

be
cat claws. I get scratches like those at work all the time, and the ones
that look like those in the picture are from dogs, not cats. *shrugs* Just
doesn't look cat-like, to me. It's always possible that I'm wrong.

yes just looked again... see what you mean, did the parent see the cat do
it?

Old August 15th 03, 02:54 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Cathouse" wrote in message
"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
"Katra" wrote in message
[...]

What else do you think did it? Next, you'll all be accusing the mother
of framing the cat just so she could get it declawed.

No not a tall, that's still no excuse to declaw the cat!

well being a Mother of 3 children, I do know babies and children scratch
themselves on things! eg Toys, their own finger nails, hence why little
babies wear scratch mittens!

I am so glad Declawing is banned in the UK

Old August 15th 03, 02:54 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Cathouse" wrote in message
"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in

Old August 15th 03, 02:57 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I have some cats that you can pick up by the tail and all they will do
is whine a bit. They won't scratch or bite, even with rough handling.

How would you know? Did you pick one up by the tail?
If so, you shouldn't even have cats. That's abuse.
If not, please don't try. It isn't nice to the cat. And I would hope the
cat would rip off your fingers for it if you did try.

Cats shouldn't NEED to tolerate "rough handling".

Teach the kid some goddamn manners.
And if the adults think animals should tolerate abuse, teach them some,
too.

This cat that did this is a terribly BITCHY cat! He will growl and swipe
at strangers and has scratched ME for trying to pet him. He is way too
eager to use his claws for little provocation.

So you took them away and now he gets to bite.
Nice.

I don't care if the baby pulled his fur, tail or ears.

You don't?
Then you shouldn't have kids and pets, either. Actually, you mentioned
you don't have kids. If you were to have kids, would you let them harm
an animal and expect the animal to just take it? Please. If so, please
rehome your pets when you have kids. They deserve to be treated better
than that.

Children (and adults) should respect animals. Period.
Don't hurt a pet and expect it not to defend itself.

I had pets as a child. I learned to be gentle because if I wasn't, I got
scratched by the cat and yelled at by my Mom. Go figure.

~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
drive a little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 15th 03, 03:14 PM
bewtifulfreak

"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

"Cathouse" wrote in message

What else do you think did it? Next, you'll all be accusing the mother
of framing the cat just so she could get it declawed.

No not a tall, that's still no excuse to declaw the cat!

It's nice to hear a mother saying that, so they can't just accuse us of
feeling that way because we have no children. Because it's not to say
cats are more important than children, but if you're going to have both, you
have to take the safety and well-being of both into consideration.

well being a Mother of 3 children, I do know babies and children scratch
themselves on things! eg Toys, their own finger nails, hence why little
babies wear scratch mittens!

I am so glad Declawing is banned in the UK

Me, too! I was just thinking, if I ever did go back to US, I'd make sure to
find a vet who chose not to declaw, because then I'd know that they were
someone who would truly have the best interest of my pet at heart, rather
than money being their top priority. I never thought to ask whether he
declaws (though I'd be surprised if he did), but the vet who put down
Precious for my mom when his FLV became too advanced actually sent a
condolance card to my mom, and made a donation to a pet charity in Precious'
name. Now *there's* a caring vet!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak