Rhett and cat viral disease

Old August 23rd 14, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Rhett and cat viral disease

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

I hope it's not feline herpes. Boyfie is purring for a complete
recovery.for
Rhett.
If it is that, how could he have got it?

Both Rhett and Scarlett were very sick when they first adopted me. In
fact, all 4 littermates were so sick that as one got better, it would
transfer back to them and they'd get sick again, and the guy who found
them decided to adopt them out sooner than he'd planned. So chances are,
they were born with the viruses. Rhett seemed to recover more quickly
once they were here, but Scarlett had to miss her first couple of spay
appointments because she was just so sickly.

The kitten viruses stay with them for life, and can flare up at any time.
I don't know what caused this to flare up at this time.

--

Ah, I see. I wasn't familiar with their story. I hope he soon recovers.

Having only once adopted an animal from a shelter I would be reluctant to do
it again. It was Trim, my lurcher. She soon developed health problems,
diseases that she'd picked up in the shelter. Within two weeks I was at the
vet with her kennel cough and it soon developed into suspicious lymph nodes
that needed looking into etc. Loads of money.

Add to that her extreme behaviour around food. She broke into the fridge
(ate everything in there) I tried a fridge-lock for children on it, not
enough. She broke into all my food cupboards, but a suitcase latch finally
foiled her.
She could get a tin out of the cupboard and ignore the fruit ones, and bite
through
the meatie ones. And I thought "I know why your previous owner dumped you"
Plus if she should have a chance to get out of the garden when she out there
for a wee, she would, to look for food. Spent a lot of time trawling the
streets looking for her.

We lived together harmoniously until she was in her teens. She got Cushings
syndrome and then liver cancer. She was very difficult and I think I would
not do it again
..But she was on death row at the RSPCA at the time, so what can you do?
Except take her home.
Death row at the time was for strays that hadn't been claimed within 7 days.
Put down if not adopted within a few days.

Rhett Cheryl[_3_] Cat anecdotes 8 March 22nd 14 02:02 AM
Rhett purrs Cheryl[_3_] Cat anecdotes 11 May 26th 12 07:25 AM
Viral world creepiest cat it is hilarious Matthew[_3_] Cat anecdotes 8 August 18th 11 05:03 AM
How can I help her tonight? Cat with viral upper respiratory infection. Bill Graham Cat health & behaviour 3 October 16th 10 11:31 AM
How can I help her tonight? Cat with viral upper respiratory infection. Rene Cat health & behaviour 0 August 23rd 10 05:52 PM