Breakthrough!

Old August 25th 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Breakthrough!

As I've mentioned, I recently adopted Koala, a four-month-old feral cat.
He needed medication for the first couple of weeks, so he saw no
reason to be trusting. He's been spending most of his time under the
bed, and never coming out of the room where I first had him sequestered.

I've been spending about half an hour in the room every day, lying on
the bed, reading, talking and singing to him. Nothing changed.
Yesterday instead of lying on the bed, I put some bedding down on the
floor and lay on that. He scooted back to the farthest corner under the
bed and wouldn't come near me, even when I offered some treats. When I
managed to get up, I put the bedding on the foot of the bed. This
morning I noticed that bedding had been disarranged.

After I finished my breakfast, I was working a crossword puzzle when
Pickles, my 8-year-old female, decided to come up on my lap. She
settled down and I went back to my puzzle. Suddenly I saw movement out
of the corner of my eye. I looked up, and there was Koala, starting to
pick up a fuzzy ball. I spoke to him, and he immediately disappeared.
However, a couple minutes later he came back. This time he picked up
the ball and looked at me (or maybe at Pickles) as if he were asking
permission. I said, "It's okay. You can have it." He took it and
walked out of the room. Pickles didn't move.

When I laid down on the floor today, he was back in the corner again,
but I still think we've had a breakthrough. To the best of my
knowledge, that's the first time he's been out of his room since I put
him in it.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 25th 14, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:52:17 PM UTC-5, Joy wrote:
[...]

My sister had four cats. One was the upstairs cat, one was the downstairs cat, one was the basement cat, and one was the (enclosed) veranda cat. They all ate together in the kitchen, and I think had the same kitty litter box. But they each had their own territory and their own privacy. Maybe Koala will keep to your bedroom, but after awhile be willing to share food in the kitchen. Toci

Old August 25th 14, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/24/2014 8:11 PM, Cheryl wrote:
Joy Wrote in message:
[...]

how sweet is that? Good job! I know that feels so good.

Yes, it really does. I also know that he's been on the bed at least
three times today. Once I saw his tail disappearing behind it as I
walked by his room. The other two times I heard a clunk as the
headboard hit the wall when he jumped down. That is also progress.

Old August 25th 14, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/24/2014 8:37 PM, toci wrote:
[...]

It isn't my bedroom. That's part of Pickles' territory. It's the spare
room. Yes, she may stay there most of the time. I'd love to have him
and Pickles become friends and have him warm up to me. However, at
least for now, I'll settle for knowing he isn't scared all the time.

Old August 25th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/24/2014 7:52 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Wonderful! How sweet he picked out a toy. Keep up the good work.

Jill
Old August 25th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/25/2014 12:38 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Joy wrote:
[...]

That is certainly a breakthrough. Gently, gently does it and it's doing
it.

I think that's a big bridge crossed.

Judith

Definitely. There's been more progress today. When I got up this
morning, I didn't bother to close the bathroom door. I live alone, and
hadn't turned on a light. Koala's room is right across the hall from
the bathroom. I looked up, and he was standing in his doorway looking
at me. He stayed put even when I spoke to him. Of course, as soon as I
stood up, there was a cartoon moment with legs going every which-way as
he scrambled to disappear again. Later I saw him lying on the bed. He
saw me and didn't move.

There is also a toy in the doorway to his room. It's like a feather on
a string, except it's more like a miniature boa. It was in the living
room toybox when I left for Bible study this morning, but when I got
home it was lying in his doorway. I had been closing the door at night
and when I left the house, but now I'm leaving it open all the time.

Joy

Old August 25th 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/25/2014 2:03 PM, lid wrote:
Joy wrote:
[...]

Your making good progress. :-)

Thanks. It certainly seems that way. :-)

Old August 26th 14, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Joy wrote:
[...]

Koala is getting more adventurous! And discovering toys. He's also
discovering you're pretty nice, too. It's great!

Jill
Old August 26th 14, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Breakthrough! - The progress continues

On 8/25/2014 3:11 PM, Joy wrote:
On 8/25/2014 2:03 PM, lid wrote:
Joy wrote:
[...]

He's getting bolder. Pickles always sleeps on my bed. This morning I
woke up to hear Pickles hiss. I opened my eyes in time to see Koala run
out of the room. Later, after I was up, he did quite a bit of
exploring. While I was sitting in the living room he jumped up on the
couch, considered jumping across to the coffee table but decided against
it, came very close to my chair, and went even closer to Pickles to get
a toy that was by her. Pickles didn't react. He also spent a lot of
time looking out the sliding glass door to the patio where I put out
food for the birds and squirrels.

There may be a setback, though. I have a water leak in the wall between
my two bathrooms. One of them is right across the hall from what I've
come to think of as Koala's room. I'm afraid tearing out the wall and
replacing the pipe will send him back into seclusion.

Old August 28th 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/26/2014 2:09 PM, Joy wrote:
He's getting bolder. Pickles always sleeps on my bed. This morning I
woke up to hear Pickles hiss. I opened my eyes in time to see Koala run
out of the room. Later, after I was up, he did quite a bit of
exploring. While I was sitting in the living room he jumped up on the
couch, considered jumping across to the coffee table but decided against
it, came very close to my chair, and went even closer to Pickles to get
a toy that was by her. Pickles didn't react. He also spent a lot of
time looking out the sliding glass door to the patio where I put out
food for the birds and squirrels.

Persia always enjoyed that "cat TV".

There may be a setback, though. I have a water leak in the wall between
my two bathrooms. One of them is right across the hall from what I've
come to think of as Koala's room. I'm afraid tearing out the wall and
replacing the pipe will send him back into seclusion.

Yeah, that might scare Koala. But you can't just ignore the leak. Bad
luck, that! I hope things will settle down again soon enough.

Jill

Breakthrough! Joy Cat anecdotes 5 April 6th 09 12:35 AM
BREAKTHROUGH! kilikini Cat anecdotes 38 January 12th 06 10:01 AM
A breakthrough! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 June 10th 05 08:01 AM
A breakthrough! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 8 May 21st 05 06:46 PM
Big breakthrough John Biltz Cat anecdotes 3 August 18th 03 01:41 AM