Sadness: Persia's Cremains are at the Vet

Old August 22nd 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Sadness: Persia's Cremains are at the Vet

They called and told me the service they use for cremation returned her
ashes to them. I said I'm sorry, I cannot bring myself to come pick
them up just yet. They completely understand.

Four years ago, when she was allergic to the medication for
hyperthyroid, I purchased a small funerary urn for her. I really
thought that was going to be the end for her, you know? That was before
her vet did more research and found the clinic that would do the
radioactive isotope treatment. The urn has been sitting in a box in the
closet, unopened, ever since.

I told the woman if I'd been thinking clearly I'd have brought the urn
with me that day so they could have sent it to the crematorium with her
body. (Even though I held out hope, I pretty much knew it was her last
visit.) I broke down saying I don't want to think about transferring
her ashes to the urn. She said oh, bring it with you and we'll do it
for you. If you'd like you can wait outside and we'll bring it out to
you. That's nice, because I was really dreading that task. (Chances
are they also don't want me crying in the waiting room.)

Persia was never an outdoor cat so scattering her ashes never entered my
mind. Her urn will reside on the fireplace mantle.

Purrs continue for those whose cats (and hoomins) who need them.

Jill ---so very sad
Old August 22nd 14, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/22/2014 3:54 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Oh Jill. It is so sad but when you do get her ashes safe on your fireplace
mantle you will have something of her still with you.

Yes, I will have her with me. That, and the bit of soft like a bunny
fur they snipped from her and gave me in a small memory box.

They're very understanding at your vets. Both times that we've lost our
cat, our vet suggested we go out through a back door rather than go
through the waiting room, not because they don't want their other clients
to see us crying but for our privacy.

(I guess I'm just cynical at times.)

Purrs for your aching heart.

Judith

Thank you, Judith. And yes. Her vet did ask if I wanted to leave
through a side door for my privacy. I was grateful for it. It hadn't
really occurred to me until they offered. Then I realized yeah, I
didn't want to walk back out through the waiting room with an empty carrier.

Jill
Old August 23rd 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

My heart goes out to you,Jill. Although mainly I bury my pets after they
have passed away, on a few occasions I have had to use the cremation
service, and like you I couldn't bring myelf to collect the ashes at first.
I guess vets are used to this as they said it didn't matter how long and
just to wait until I felt ready.
The ashes were always in nice wooden boxes with a brass plaque bearing their
name. Trim's box was beautifully carved. I didn't have to provide my own
urn to transfer ashes to; that would have been too much to cope with.
I still have the boxes and have left instructions that they are to be put
into my coffin with me when I go. We did this when my mother passed away,
her beloved Border collie's box of ashes was placed in there with her. The
undertaker was fine about it.. didn't bat an eyelid.

I'd wait a couple of months to collect the ashes, if I were you. It's too
soon to confront it.

Hugs for your heart
Tweed

P.S. I hate that term "cremains" sounds just dreadful.

Old August 23rd 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know how her ashes would be presented to me. I bought the urn
when I thought I was going to lose her to hyperthyroid in 2010. I'm
lucky I got four more happy years with her. An urn is the least I could
do for my sweet girl. And they'll transfer the ashes.

I still have the boxes and have left instructions that they are to be put
into my coffin with me when I go.

That's all well and good. I don't plan to be buried.

We did this when my mother passed away,
her beloved Border collie's box of ashes was placed in there with her. The
undertaker was fine about it.. didn't bat an eyelid.

I'd wait a couple of months to collect the ashes, if I were you. It's too
soon to confront it.

No, I'd rather get it over with. Probably on Monday. I have picked up
her toys, I've removed the litterbox to the garage. I'm not erasing
her. I still talk to her. But I'm not going to have picking up her
ashes hanging over my head for months.

Hugs for your heart
Tweed

Thank you for the hugs.

P.S. I hate that term "cremains" sounds just dreadful.

Different strokes. It's an accurate word.

Jill
Old August 24th 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matsav

"jmcquown" wrote in message

...P.S. I hate that term "cremains" sounds just dreadful.

Different strokes. It's an accurate word.

Then you won't like the name of the machine that produces "ashes" - it's a
cremulator.

Bones don't fully combust, even at the high temperatures of incinerators.
The remains are ground to a powder by hard steel ball bearings to produce
the ashes.

--
MatSav

Old August 24th 14, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/23/2014 10:56 PM, Matsav wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

...P.S. I hate that term "cremains" sounds just dreadful.

Different strokes. It's an accurate word.

Then you won't like the name of the machine that produces "ashes" - it's a
cremulator.

Bones don't fully combust, even at the high temperatures of incinerators.
The remains are ground to a powder by hard steel ball bearings to produce
the ashes.

I am familiar with the terms. I don't necessarily like to think about
them. Both of my parents were cremated. My mother selected my father's
urn. When she died I selected the same one for her because she said it
was so pretty.

Jill
Old August 25th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:09:40 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

news

[...]

I wish I had an urn ready for Rusty.
I got his ashes back in an ugly urn inside a cardboard box.
Cried every time I looked it (cried for Rusty, not the ugly urn),
so eventually I put it back in the cardboard box.
It is still sitting there.

At first I thought of sprinkling his ashes somewhere but
decided to keep them with me, at least for now.
It has been a couple of years now.
Like you, I still talked to Rusty sometime.
One time I dreamed that he was still alive and I was in a
hurry to feed him and worried about not having his litter box
anymore.

Feeling sad for you. -- Winnie

Old August 26th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/25/2014 2:46 PM, Rusty wrote:
I wish I had an urn ready for Rusty.
I got his ashes back in an ugly urn inside a cardboard box.
Cried every time I looked it (cried for Rusty, not the ugly urn),
so eventually I put it back in the cardboard box.
It is still sitting there.

At first I thought of sprinkling his ashes somewhere but
decided to keep them with me, at least for now.
It has been a couple of years now.
Like you, I still talked to Rusty sometime.
One time I dreamed that he was still alive and I was in a
hurry to feed him and worried about not having his litter box
anymore.

Feeling sad for you. -- Winnie

I know you still feel the loss, Winnie.

I really did think I was going to lose Persia four years ago. It was a
close call; that's when I ordered the little urn.

I imagine I'll be walking around talking to her for quite some time to
come. I'd like to think she can hear me.

Jill
Old August 26th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

There is a window seat where Amber used to spendmost of her time. The urn with her ashes is sitting on one corner of that seat. I say goodnight to her every night.
Old August 26th 14, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matsav" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

...P.S. I hate that term "cremains" sounds just dreadful.

Different strokes. It's an accurate word.

Then you won't like the name of the machine that produces "ashes" - it's a
cremulator.

Bones don't fully combust, even at the high temperatures of incinerators.
The remains are ground to a powder by hard steel ball bearings to produce
the ashes.

--
MatSav

Ashes are OK. the word cremains somehow freaks me out.