Melisande at the vet - unknown illness

Old August 27th 14, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Melisande at the vet - unknown illness

She's had blood in her stool for a couple of weeks, now. Except for
sleeping a bit more than usual (but shes 16 years old,and quite
arthritic), she's not acting ill. She and Cendrillon still chase each
other around the apartment, and she's certainly right there eager for
her dinner when I feed them. After about $350 for a house call
(including $189 for extensive blood testing) the vet couldn't find
anything obviously wrong. She had lost quite a bit of weight, and was a
bit anemic, but no temperature, so for want of any identifiable evidence
of illness she prescribed an antibiotic. (From a compounding pharmacy -
choice of flavors including chicken, tuna fish, beef, or peanut-butter.)

I'm not sure how much I actually got down the cat - good taste or no,
once the syringe appeared, the jaws clenched and her usual lap-fungus
mode went bye-bye. I know a lot of it ended up on my clothing, her fur
and the carpet (the time she took the entire dose, then spit it out when
she regained her footing off of my lap). She has also tried harder to
get out the door when I come in, actually managed to get out for several
hours one night last week, and when she finally appeared at the door
again getting hold of her and forcing her inside was a real problem.

Night before last made everything worse - in trying to keep her in, I
lost my balance, fell heavily to the floor, and couldn't get up again
without assistance from the paramedics. Fortunately x-rays show nothing
broken, but the entire area from several inches above the knee to
halfway down the calf is badly bruised, heavily swollen and extremely
painful. Ice packs help a little, but it's going to take some time
before I can walk to the dining room, or bend down easily to feed the
cats. Fortunately the vet could pick her up today and take her to their
office for further evaluation and a brief stay until I can care for her
again. They'll also do an ultra-sound to see if anything shows up. I'm
afraid it could be early stages of some sort of cancer, despite the
absence of clear ill behaviour. (I think the vet is, too - but when the
cat seems in good spirits and doesn't appear to be in any more pain than
the usual arthritis, I certainly don't want to have her euthanized, even
though it IS costing me a fortune.)

Clearly she can use a few purrs (as can I).
Old August 27th 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/27/2014 4:17 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
[...]

Virtual purrs for Melisande are on the way. And for you, too (ouch
about the fall!)

Jill
Old August 27th 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/27/2014 1:17 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
[...]

Purrs for both of you.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 27th 14, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

m...

She's had blood in her stool for a couple of weeks, now. Except for
sleeping a bit more than usual (but shes 16 years old,and quite
arthritic), she's not acting ill.

Clearly she can use a few purrs (as can I).

~~~~~~~
I'm so sorry Melisande is having problems--and you, too. Did TED do a
urinalysis on Melisande? I realize that you mentioned blood in the stool
(which can be quite frightening) and not in the urine, but that is still a
potential problem that springs to mind. Have you noticed any unusual
behavior around the litter box, such as difficulty either urinating or
defacating or using inappropriate places?

Many purrs for both of you.

MaryL

Old August 28th 14, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

m...

She's had blood in her stool for a couple of weeks, now. Except for
sleeping a bit more than usual (but shes 16 years old,and quite
arthritic), she's not acting ill.

Clearly she can use a few purrs (as can I).

~~~~~~~
I'm so sorry Melisande is having problems--and you, too. Did TED do a
urinalysis on Melisande? I realize that you mentioned blood in the
stool (which can be quite frightening) and not in the urine, but that is
still a potential problem that springs to mind.

I think the blood test included a test of kidney function (inconclusive).

Have you noticed any
unusual behavior around the litter box, such as difficulty either
urinating or defacating or using inappropriate places?

Yes to all three - and blood spots where I try to clean it off the
floor. I really am quite worried it's something serious, and that her
apparently normal behaviour is just feline obstinacy. (And my own fall
certainly hasn't helped matters - aside from the injured leg, I seem to
have strained a lot of formerly perfectly functional muscles, trying to
get up from the floor, so movement of any sort has me aching where I
don't expect it.)

Many purrs for both of you.

Thanks, I appreciate them.

MaryL

Old August 29th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
[...]

What a bad time you are both having, purrs for Melisande's illness to be
nothing too serious and that you soon recover from your fall.
$350 seems a very high charge to make for a house call tbh unless they are
coming from 100 miles away. I presume they aren't. For next time, can you
ask anyone you know to take you there and back and pay their gas? and if not
maybe a taxi would be cheaper than $350.
It's quite a long time since I had a house call. I had one because my dog
was dying and I wanted her to be put to sleep at home without the stress of
being taken to the surgery. The charge for the house call was very
reasonable, only twice the charge of a consultation at the surgery.
Let's not even think about euthanising Melisande just yet. But we always
think it's bound to be bad news as our cats get older and become ill, don't
we? It ain't necessarily so.
I'm holding out hope for Melisande.

I'm not impressed by the house call charge. It smacks of exploitation to me.
I have no idea of the dollar/pound situation at the moment but that must be
around 280 quid or more.
Ridiculous.

Evelyn, I am sending my best wishes for your cat and yourself to recover and
I suggest that if your vet has no excuse for charging so much for a house
call that you get another vet.
FGS! $350 for a house call!! I'd like to hear the excuse for that cost.
Give me their e-mail address and tell me how far they had to come to you.

Tweed

Old August 29th 14, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

What a bad time you are both having, purrs for Melisande's illness to be
nothing too serious and that you soon recover from your fall.

$350 seems a very high charge to make for a house call tbh unless they are
coming from 100 miles away. I presume they aren't.

You misunderstand - the house-call charge is $54 (including two vets,
with all necessary equipment). The rest was for extensive
blood-testing. Because that was inconclusive, I opted for an
ultra-sound. (Don't even ASK how much that costs!)

Let's not even think about euthanising Melisande just yet. But we always
think it's bound to be bad news as our cats get older and become ill, don't
we? It ain't necessarily so.
I'm holding out hope for Melisande.

It seems she has a growth in her abdomen, also part of the intestines
seems to be "telescoped". An oncologist might be the next step, but the
vet really doesn't advise subjecting an elderly cat to the stress of
abdominal surgery, with no guarantee it will make her any better.

Since I am having real difficulty doing ANYTHING because of my injured
leg, she's in the hospital for now. They'll continue with the oral
medication to see if it has an effect (they're better at getting it into
the cat than I am). However, the vet is afraid the bloody diarrhea is
due to the growth itself bleeding into the intestines as a side-effect,
in which case it won't stop. She said steroid injections MIGHT help
(accent on the "might"), so we'll try that next, but she doesn't sound
very hopeful.

She seems in good spirits, her appetite is good, and she doesn't seem to
be in any more than the usual pain from arthritis, but if the bleeding
can't be stopped, what are my options? Since I am presently house-bound
because of my own injury, if we DO have to euthanize her, I won't even
be able to hold her to say goodbye. (Well, I've had cats simply
disappear, so I guess at least knowing she's gone would be better than
that, but I've had her since she was a tiny kitten, so it's pretty
heart-breaking.)
Old August 30th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Judith Latham wrote:

The medication the vet is giving her may have a good effect and then
there's the steroid injection. I'm not saying these will cure her but
could give her a while longer with a good quality of life.

If it should come to you having to euthanize her then why can't she be
brought home so that you can hold her.

I'm not sure that's an option, although of course I'll suggest it, if
the time comes.

Purrs and prayers for you both.

Thanks, they're much appreciated. My leg seems to be gradually getting
better, although I hesitate to walk on it more than absolutely
necessary. (The bruise is becoming more and more colorful - involving
most of the leg, from a foot above the knee nearly to the ankle - with
what appears to be a burgeoning blood-blister on my shin.)
Old August 30th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I agree with the vet :-(

Since I am having real difficulty doing ANYTHING because of my injured
leg, she's in the hospital for now. They'll continue with the oral
medication to see if it has an effect (they're better at getting it into
the cat than I am). However, the vet is afraid the bloody diarrhea is due
to the growth itself bleeding into the intestines as a side-effect, in
which case it won't stop. She said steroid injections MIGHT help (accent
on the "might"), so we'll try that next, but she doesn't sound very
hopeful.

She seems in good spirits, her appetite is good, and she doesn't seem to
be in any more than the usual pain from arthritis, but if the bleeding
can't be stopped, what are my options?

If it can be stopped and she is eating well and in good spirits I'd say
carry on for a while but if not your options are reviewing whether you make
a good decision for her.
You know that anyway.