HyperMike (very very long, sorry)

Old February 21st 04, 04:35 AM
LOL

(JBHajos) wrote in message . ..

I understand a bit of what you're going through. No experience
with hyperthyroidism but constant worry and sleeplessness with Hobo's
newfound diabetes. Not so distressing as Mike's case but if Hobo even
looks cross-eyed, it's Panicsville. He *did* crash last Sunday
morning, with a fast dash to the Emergency Clinic (regular vet not
open), and another minor one Tuesday and another dash to his regular
vet. As in your area, our vet school is a couple hundred miles away
but three of the vets at the clinic we use are graduates of this
highly regarded school -- one magna cum laude which instills a lot of
confidence! Anyway, we keep a close, sharp eye on Hobo, even taking
turns sleeping in case he has trouble during the night. I'm *always*
tired now but you have it much worse with Mike. You have my heartfelt
sympathy and hopes that you both find relief much, much sooner than
the months you anticipate. Please take care of yourself.

Jeanne

Oh my - we are sending many purrs in return for you and Hobo - at
least with Mike we haven't had to worry about any sudden crashes,
which must be very scary. I do admit to envy of your access to an
emergency vet, though. I like our vet, but he's the only one in town,
and the closest emergency clinic I know of is appx. 100 miles away. I
do hope Hobo stabilizes enough for you to get some sleep - you take
care of yourself, too. :-)

------
Krista
Old February 21st 04, 04:36 AM
LOL

Victor Martinez wrote in message ...
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Purrs for a successful treatment and
a very long and happy life.

Thanks - we're working on it! :-)

------
Krista
Old February 21st 04, 04:39 AM
LOL

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message ...

Krista,
So far we've not had any experience with hyperthyroid, but will offer loads
of sympathy to Mike and to you, also purrs and prayers that you can get him
stabilized and that he does well for a long time. I can tell you that the
cat next door has been hyperthyroid for a couple of years and is doing
really well on medication at 17 years old.
Annie, accompanied by Cinder and Rosie

Thanks, Annie and girls; we appreciate the purrs and prayers, and it's
good to know about the neighbor kitty. I have high hopes for getting
him back to his old weirdo-kitty self again soon. :-)

------
Krista
Old February 21st 04, 04:47 AM
LOL

"Marina" wrote in message ...
pats Krista's hand There, there, everything's going to be ok. {{{Krista}}}
cats purr loudly

Feel any better now? OK then, let's see. I started to see an improvement in
Frank's condition less than a week after I started medicating him, but it
takes a month before the thyroid level in the blood has had time to settle,
so to get an accurate idea of the dosage, the level is checked once a month
at the beginning. It wouldn't make any sense to check it more often, since
the reading would not be accurate. Now that we have found the correct dose,
we only have to check it once a year, unless there are symptoms of change.

I have trouble pilling Nikki on and off, and when she misses even one dose,
I can see the change in her immediately. She gets very clingy and wants
attention all the time (sound familiar?), but when I manage to get the next
dose into her, she's fine again right away, though a blood test would
probably show high thyroid levels.

You did mention that Mike was very thin. I don't know why I didn't react to
that before? That was one of the more noticeable symptoms Frank had of
hyperthyroidism. The other one was that he was hungry and in my face all the
time. Now that doesn't sound at all familiar, does it? ;o)

We are sending many purrs for HyperMikey to settle down, and please feel
free to ask anytime you need advice or just to share experiences. Oh, and I
wanted to say that to me, radiation seems like a much more intrusive
treatment than pilling. My vet didn't even suggest it, but then I don't know
if that kind of treatment is even available here. Might be at the vet
school.

Again, purrs and hugs all around. It'll be OK!

Thank you, Marina. This does make me feel better. Mike's had four
doses now and so far so good, though having to take pills is stressful
for him and he gets awfully wild-eyed. I've been using a pill popper,
but may try your method of wrapping it in a yummy treat. The liquid
meds were supposed to ship from the compounding pharmacy today, so we
should have them next week and that will be easier for him.
Apparently most people have an easier time with pills than liquids,
but Mikey always has to be contrary. ;-)

It's true the radiation would be more drastic and invasive, but it is
considered a *cure* rather than a treatment, and apparently the meds
for *hypo* (if needed after the radiation) have fewer side effects
than those for the hyper-t. This seems to be the reason it's
preferred. If he does well on the meds we're getting, though, that
will be that and I won't have to consider putting him through the more
extensive procedures.

Thanks again, Marina. If you were here I'd smooch you. :-P

------
Krista
Old February 21st 04, 04:51 AM
LOL

Christopher Havlicek wrote in message ...

Hi Krista -

The first cat that was really "mine", Shadow, developed hyperthyroidism
when he was about 15. At that point, the vet didn't even have radiation
treatment available, so he went on Tapazole. There was an almost
immediate improvement. Luckily, Shadow was a very good cat when it
came to pills, and we only *sometimes* discovered one or two that he'd
managed to spit out without our knowing. He lived to about 19.5, and
that was only because of other medical problems, not the thyroid. So,
while it's always good to be concerned, I'm sure that once Mike's levels
are stabilized, you'll have lots of years left to enjoy his company...

Good luck thoughts, purrs and best fishes from Chris and the Fairfax
felines, who *don't* take pills all that well... Sigh....

Thanks for the info; it's good to hear about other cats who have done
well with the same condition. We have our fingers crossed. Mike's
had a full day's worth of the Tapazole, and he had a better day today,
and though I can't bring myself to attribute it to the meds just yet I
am very, very hopeful.

And please thank your kitties for the purrs!

------
Krista
Old February 21st 04, 05:18 AM
Marina

"LOL" wrote
snippy

It's true the radiation would be more drastic and invasive, but it is
considered a *cure* rather than a treatment, and apparently the meds
for *hypo* (if needed after the radiation) have fewer side effects
than those for the hyper-t. This seems to be the reason it's
preferred. If he does well on the meds we're getting, though, that
will be that and I won't have to consider putting him through the more
extensive procedures.

I see your point about radiation. Anyway, both Frank and Nikki are doing
fine on the medication. I hope Mike does, too.

Thanks again, Marina. If you were here I'd smooch you. :-P

That's OK, I went and stole a smooch from Frank. D

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old February 21st 04, 09:53 AM

LOL wrote:

I have always called him that as one of his many nicknames, but now
it's official - we got the blood test results back today and he *is*
hyperthyroid.

Hi Krista,

I had a cat who needed to take Tapazole for several years, from about
age 17 to age 21 (when she finally died). She did fine on it and I'm
sure it lengthened her life. So I'd say it has a good chance of working
for Mike, too. I hope you don't end up having to travel hundreds of
miles to get him radiation! One step at a time. This is a hopeful one.

Joyce
Old February 21st 04, 10:50 AM
Adrian

LOL wrote:
SNIP

So, once again, if any spare purrs could be sent Mike's way, we would
appreciate it. And if any of you who have experience with thyroid
problems would like to pat my hand and say "there, there" that would
be appreciated too, as I am a worried catmom. And a tired one, since
the only way I have found that works to calm Mike down for the past
several days is to hold him still in "his" chair and talk to him,
right in his face so he has to focus on me, for up to an hour at a
time until he settles down. Otherwise, he paces from window to door
to window literally for hours, growling and yowling, and jumps up on
things and falls back down off them, as his coordination is off from
the valium which does help some, but not enough. We don't have a good
place to confine him, and I am honestly afraid he'll hurt himself.
It's like talking down a tiny little speed freak, night after night,
until 3 or 4 am. (Have I ever mentioned Mike is sort of a *difficult*
cat?!?)

------
Krista
Who loves her kitty, and who seems to have begun an awful lot of
sentences with "so"

Sending lots of healing purrs, and hoping the Tapazole will keep Mike
healthy for many years to come.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 21st 04, 02:23 PM
JBHajos

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:25:57 -0600, "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

I assume from your message that Hobo does not sleep with you.

Oh, I wish he did, even if he were not sick!! He's always adamantly
refused such intimacy. In the past, I'd sometimes find him on my bed
at night but when I joined him, he'd attack and draw blood!! (So I
started sleeping in the den/guest room!) He doesn't use my bed any
more, now always sleeps on the love seat at the front window where he
can watch squirrels and birds from the arm, then sleeps on the
cushions. Now that we watch him during the night, we take turns with
Chris sleeping on the sofa at the opposite wall and I'm back to the
den where I'm closer and can hear/see him sooner. We're probably
over-reacting but his crashes are too darn scary!!

He did crash once, (not while sleeping with us) and it was scary.
You can keep some corn syrup on hand to rub on his gums if Hobo crashes
again.

Hobo's crash last Sunday was so explosive and dramatic, we never,
*ever* want to see that again. Though I'd been advised by RCPAers to
give him Karo, I was so upset I didn't even think of it. When the
second crash came Tuesday, we knew what was coming and I did get a
little Karo into him (which he *hated*) and it must have made the
attack less severe. While at the vet, I asked how much he should be
given and was told 3 ccs. That looks like an awful lot of syrup, a
lot more than I'd gotten into him!

Thank you for your responses and your good wishes. Believe me, your
experiences have proved very helpful.

Jeanne