recommended amounts on canned food

Old May 14th 05, 09:38 PM

This when you have no idea of the size,
age, or physical condition of the cats in
question..

And? I was responding to your incorrect information.You made your bogus
calculation based on a 10 pound weight. If the OP follows your math and
adjusts to fit the weight of their own cats, you're still wrong.

You have a great way of underlining your
own stupidity.

Oh, yeah, that's what's going on here.

Well at least you finally admit it. Now if you'll just seek help...

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 14th 05, 10:24 PM
blueberries79

Ok I didnt want to start another flame war! Oreo and Gabe are getting a 5.5
oz can/day each along with a 'tasty treat' (as my husband calls it) of a
Whiskas moist packet (the ones with chunks of meat) to split between them.
We just started going to a moist diet so of course we will be alterting it
based on the cats needs... if they need a little more, then I will give it
to them but I dont think giving them less is an option with their sizes.
They both know how to get our attention when they are hungry, so I dont
think they will starve : )

It was a good guide to go off to see everyones suggestions and also to see
how specific some people have to be with their cat's diets. Luckily we dont
have that route with them right now, but if they ever have a medial issue, I
will know its a pretty normal thing to do if the vet suggests it to us.

Old May 14th 05, 10:26 PM
blueberries79

heh I got ya : ) I never thought about the flavor issues and things you
brought up. Guess I wont be so upset at the manufacturers then!

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 13 May 2005 10:24:22p, blueberries79 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:0kdhe.16261$aB.8525@lakeread03):

We're getting closer... I will tell you what I read and maybe
that will work! The label on one tin said "feed 1 1/2 cans per
6-8 lbs body weight for an adult cat" while the next one said
"feed 2 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight" and yet another said "feed
3 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight" - the last one is what really
shocked me. That would mean Gabe should be getting 6 cans a
day! way wayyyy too much - The last one was in a boxed set, so
the more I think about it, I am wondering if they were smaller
tins just made by the same company; in that case 3 tins might
equal 1 1/2 or 2 tins of the larger ones I was looking at.
Regardless, the fact is that I picked up 2 of the exact same
food by the exact same manufacturer with just a different flavor
label and one said "1 1/2" and the other said "2"

Better? This is where I should have brought my husband in...
hes much better at saying something in just a few words and not
having to say it 3 times before the point gets across. I tend
to ramble and not make any sense
:P

NP I understand where you're coming from with the pet food
labels and recommended amounts, but I never pay attention to them.
That's my point. I guess I've read here long enough to know to
disregard them. But it can be confusing. If a single can of one
variety or flavor says to feed 2 cans per day, in order for another
variety or other flavor and differing ingredients to keep to the 2
can per day allowance, one or the other has to either add water,
remove fat, add fiber/carbs etc etc to make the calorie intake
exactly the same. Does that make sense? If they muck with one
flavor so that the calorie content matches the other, one might not
be palatable. Look at the calorie content to make the decision on
how much to feed. You also have to allow for the activity level of
the cat being fed.

I had a cat who required a certain amount of calories per day for
his liver to heal from hepatic lipidosis. I found an online KCAL
calculator that told you exact number of MGs, ounces or even MLs to
feed per day to get that correct intake based on the severity of
illness. Most people don't need this to be so exact. I like what
William Hamblen just wrote - put the food down for a certain amount
of time, what they don't eat is too much food put down. Adjust from
there.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old May 14th 05, 10:37 PM
Mary

"blueberries79" wrote in message
Ok I didnt want to start another flame war!

Not to worry, Megan is self-starting. My recommendation was a reply to Steve
C., who wrote:

"Steve C" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:08:09 -0700, Gary wrote:

I think a normal, healthy, active cat will regulate itself on how much

eat, unless there are other factors, like having to compete with other
animals for food, etc. Also, unless they are exclusively indoor cats,
they probably eat things that are not "on the menu" while they are out

and
about. So I guess it is up to us to figure out how much to feed them on
an individual basis, realizing some days they won't eat much at all,

while
other days, they eat everything in sight. My cat gets about half of a
5-1/2 oz can of Friskies every morning, along with dry food on the side
and does fine, although she does expect some kind of little treat in the
evening. (Probably, this is a nasty side effect from watching too much
TV!)

How can you tell if they are self regulating their food as opposed to
simply not liking canned meat? I ask because we have recently switched
from dry food to wet, due to them both being over weight. We have been
giving them about 6-7 oz each in 2 "sittings", however they never finish
their bowls and often we are throwing about half of what was put down
before we give them their next portion.
They certainly don't seem to be going hungry as they don't pester us like
they used to when they wanted more dry food. They ARE losing weight, but
I'm worried they are doing so because they aren't eating enough because of
their dislike of wet food.
Any thoughts, or am I worrying for nothing?

--

Since he is giving his cats 6-7 oz per cat per feedings and they are
not eating all of that food, plus he wants them to lose weight, my

Old May 14th 05, 10:50 PM
Mary

wrote in message
This when you have no idea of the size,
age, or physical condition of the cats in
question..

And?

And here is Steve's post, to which I was responding. Note, you
dimwitted hag, that he says that his cats ARE LOSING WEIGHT
on the two 6-7 oz feedings per cat per day of canned food that
he is giving them, but they are leaving food uneaten at each sitting.
Given this, the recommendation to give them 5 oz each at each feeding
makes perfect sense.

I really wish you had done something in your life that would have
given you some sense of accomplishment, so that you would not
have to puff up like a bloody iguana in the cat groups insisting on
your Unchallenged Expertise. But then, it is comical to watch.

"Steve C" wrote

Old May 14th 05, 10:51 PM
Steve C

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:17:17 -0400, Mary wrote:

The same thing happened when I took Buddha off of dry food--she threw up
the wet and did not finish it. Now she eats every bit and begs for more,
and like your cats, she is losing weight.

I think 6-7 oz per cat in one sitting is the reason they are leaving food.
That is a lot of food. How big are these cats, and how active are they?
How old are they? If they are 10-lb cats (or that is the weight you think
they should be) I would think something like 5 oz per cat per feeding
might be adequate, particularly if you want them to lose weight. In any
case, they are not going to self-regulate in the direction of too LITTLE
food. They would be more inclined to eat more than they need. And if the
wet is all they have and they are hungry, they will eat it.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, they get 6-7oz per day, split over 2
meals, not 6-7 oz per meal.
They are 9 years old, we got them from a rescue home about 18 months ago
and although they do get outside they don't wander far, so I wouldn't say
they are particularly active.

--
Steve.

scook94atGmaildotCom

Old May 14th 05, 10:58 PM
Mary

"Steve C" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ah, I see! I am feeding Buddha about 5 ounces per day, split into three
meals.

They are 9 years old, we got them from a rescue home about 18 months ago
and although they do get outside they don't wander far, so I wouldn't say
they are particularly active.

I think maybe cutting them back to 5 oz per day might help.

Old May 14th 05, 10:58 PM
Mary

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
You know, for people trying to get decent information from this group, it

is
possible to make a useful comment without the useless "catty" remarks that
get added on.

Right.