Stale Cat Food - G Rated

Old May 19th 05, 08:41 PM
CatNipped

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
But the
cats still drop some moistened pellets back into the bowl. So, in

addition

Phil

Nuh-ungh! I didnt eat cat spit...oh no.

:M

LOL! You probably eat cat spit all the time without realizing it! ; I've
given up worrying about it since it hasn't killed me yet!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 19th 05, 09:00 PM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message
ink.net...

A cup of adult dry food usually contains around 400 kcals- give or take

25
kcals- excluding 'lite' or high fiber diets. So, 1/4 cup contains about
100
kcals. 180 kcals/day is just about right for a neutered 4 kg cat (~45
kcals/kg/day). A 1/4 cup in the am and a1/4 cup in the pm should be just
about right for a starting point. If he starts to gain weight or leaves
food
in the bowl by the next feeding, cut back.

You might want to get a good pediatric scale- it will help you monitor
your
cats' weight and make dietary adjustments before weigh gains become
noticeable and a problem. In cats, it much, much easier to prevent
obesity
than to correct it.

http://maxshouse.com/weighing_a_cat_made_easy.htm

http://maxshouse.com/album/Titi-on-scale.jpg

Phil

ACK! A baby scale price ranges from $125 to $1450!!!

You can get a 1583 for about $200.

I'm glad my vet
allows walk-in weighing for free! ; Of course I don't have any cats

with
weight or health issues so I don't have to weigh them often enough that
schlepping them there becomes a PITA.

Subtle weight gains and losses are difficult to notice in a cat you see
every day- especially in long-haired cats. Weight gains and losses can also
be early warning signs of illness.

An aside, you're near Austin, right?

http://www.news8austin.com/shared/vi...0&mswmext=.asx

Phil

Old May 19th 05, 09:06 PM
.oO rach Oo.

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
bigbadbarry wrote:
Phil P. wrote:
But the
cats still drop some moistened pellets back into the bowl. So, in
addition

Phil

Nuh-ungh! I didnt eat cat spit...oh no.

Next thing ya know ... you'll be lickin' your privates.

Isn't that every man's dream?
--
..oO rach Oo.

Old May 19th 05, 09:34 PM
Mary

Phil P. wrote:
But the
cats still drop some moistened pellets back into the bowl. So, in

addition

Phil

Nuh-ungh! I didnt eat cat spit...oh no.

Yeth you did. I didn't want to be the first to tell you.

Old May 19th 05, 09:42 PM
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message
[...]

True. However they getted weighed every week on my digital scale and about
every month doing the walk-in thing at the vet. Is that not watching it
close enough?

An aside, you're near Austin, right?

http://www.news8austin.com/shared/vi...0&mswmext=.asx

Phil

Sort of. I'm in Houston. I couldn't open the link you posted - it doesn't
work in Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. What software do you need to
run it?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 19th 05, 09:48 PM
CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message
[...]

Oh, never mind, changing the last part of the URL to mswmext=.wmv makes it
work on Media Player.

We have the same situation here in Houston too - more kittens in kitten
season than there are foster homes available. I've been thinking about
fostering a lot lately.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 19th 05, 09:50 PM
CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message
[...]

LOL - at first I thought you meant the ad for the mental health organization
that runs before the newsclip (which would, I admit, probably have been
appropriate for me also!) ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 20th 05, 06:59 AM
Phil P.

"Diane" wrote in message
ink.net...
In article . net,
"Phil P." wrote:

Cats usually swallow small and especially pellet-shaped nuggets whole
without chewing (so much for the dental benefit of dry food, eh?). B

Hodge crunches. Isn't that chewing?

No. Cats crunch and cut dry food. Cats can't chew as in mastication like
dogs and humans because their jaw hinge (condyloid process) is shaped like a
door hinge (bar) with no lateral motion. Their jaw is designed this way for
hold struggling prey securely. Dogs' and humans' hinges are more oval-shaped
which allows rotary motion.

http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/Dentary...edial_view.jpg

Old May 21st 05, 02:20 AM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

I learned (without actually tasting) the same lesson years ago.

But
my
solution was to store dry food in a large ZIPlock or Hefty bag.
They come in various sizes all the way up to 2.5 gallons! The
advantage is

that you
can squeeze out nearly all the air before zipping closed ....

which
you
cannot do with a Tupperware container.

true true

taste test, i mean a thing potatoe chip I could see getting

rubbery,
but I figured cat food was compacted and oiled enough...but I was
wrong!

But there is a good use for stale cat food, especially fish flavored.

Use
it in your tuna casserole when your mother-in-law shows up for

dinner. Adds
a zesty flavor she'll love and never figure out.

Thank you good doctor sir, how much do I owe you please...