Tee hee...My Honey and Joe Kitty

Old May 9th 04, 12:13 AM
Yowie

"Sherry " wrote in message
I have serious doubts over whether I would like to experience a "Toad

Squat
Festival", wherever it is. If there are toads involved, I don't like

them,
especially those big nervy ones that poison the dogs w/some kind of
paralyzing venom. Bufus I think they're called.

Oh, darn. I must make a correction. I became curious about the Toad Squat
Festival, and tried to find it on Google. Couldn't find it. Mentioned it

to DH,
who said, "No, it wasn't "Toad Squat." It was "The Toad Suck Festival" in
Conway, ARK.
My apologies to the organizers of the Toad Suck Festival, the reigning

Toad
Suck Queen, and any rpca members who may or may not have been

inconvenienced by
this regrettable error.

This post will have to be included in the FAQ. I don't know where or in what
category, but its just the sort of post (in the middle of a hot-potato
thread at that) that epitomises the character of this NG.

Yowie

Old May 9th 04, 12:49 AM
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

Sherry wrote:

Since DH would not stop, I"ll never know what one does at a Toad

Squat
Festival.

Sherry

WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM????

Theresa

I know, I know. The man has no sense of adventure. :-)

Rob's dad was that way. They were driving from Florida to Idaho between
assignments (Dad was going to go to Vietnam for the second time) and
passed near the Grand Canyon. The whole family begged and pleaded, but
Dad refused to make the detour. This year we're taking that detour.

Cripes, thats so *not* our family! We've been known to hop in the car, and
then just drive, and just turning where the family consensus told us to

go!
It often means you end up in a dead end country lane, but sometimes you
discover themost interesting and totally obscure places that you can drop

in
and say G'Day (they'll remember you, since they never get anyone but

locals
come through) when you are actually on your way to *somewhere*.

Even these days, I love just going for a drive, especially if its a damp

and
dreary day and exploring all the roads I possibly can. In fact, youcan
almost hear Joel groan when I say cheerily (as I'm turning into it) "I
wonder where that road goes?".

Yowie

When my parents were newlyweds and couldn't afford much else, they would go
for drives in the country. The whole point of which was to get lost. That
of course meant finding a road you had never taken before and seeing where
it went. I still do it if I really need a break.

Jo

Old May 9th 04, 12:51 AM
Tanada

Yowie wrote:

Cripes, thats so *not* our family! We've been known to hop in the car, and
then just drive, and just turning where the family consensus told us to go!
It often means you end up in a dead end country lane, but sometimes you
discover themost interesting and totally obscure places that you can drop in
and say G'Day (they'll remember you, since they never get anyone but locals
come through) when you are actually on your way to *somewhere*.

That's the way my family was, and the way I still am to some extent.
Rob is even more adventurous than I am and the cry of "Road Trip" rouses
cries of excitement and pleas for special friends to go with us. As I
once told the kids while pretending to, "I can get lost anywhere." I
consider road trips one of the perks of being a military family.

Pam S. who'd love to be able to take more road trips

Old May 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 9 May 2004 09:10:28 +1000, "Yowie"
wrote:

Cripes, thats so *not* our family! We've been known to hop in the car, and
then just drive, and just turning where the family consensus told us to go!
It often means you end up in a dead end country lane, but sometimes you
discover themost interesting and totally obscure places that you can drop in
and say G'Day (they'll remember you, since they never get anyone but locals
come through) when you are actually on your way to *somewhere*.

Even these days, I love just going for a drive, especially if its a damp and
dreary day and exploring all the roads I possibly can. In fact, youcan
almost hear Joel groan when I say cheerily (as I'm turning into it) "I
wonder where that road goes?".

Yowie

Sounds like the type of camping trips I used to take while on leave
from the Army. Just load up the 4 wheel drive, head for a National
Forest, and follow the dirt roads, just to see how far I could go
without hitting pavement. Helped that I have two gas tanks, so that I
could switch to the second when the first ran out and be pretty sure I
could find my way out.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old May 9th 04, 01:11 AM

Jo Firey wrote:

When my parents were newlyweds and couldn't afford much else, they
would go for drives in the country. The whole point of which was
to get lost. That of course meant finding a road you had never
taken before and seeing where it went. I still do it if I really
need a break.

I used to do this on my bicycle - it was especially fun when I was a
child, because there were so many places at that time that I had never
seen, and not being a driver myself, I had little sense of the layout
of the larger area I lived in. I grew up in a small town, surrounded
by mill towns. Sounds unexciting for biking, but beyond the mill towns
were farmlands, which were really fun to bike in.

I continued to do this as a teenager and would sometimes cover 50 or
more miles in a day of riding. It's fun to get lost by bike! I realized
at some point that "all roads lead to somewhere", and if I kept going,
I'd eventually find myself somewhere familiar. It's not like wandering
in the forest or the desert.

I stopped doing that once I got older, though, because it's harder to
really find unknown territory when you know an area pretty well by car.
And now that I live in a very hilly area, I don't even enjoy bicycling.
(A likely excuse. In reality, I'm just lazy! )

Joyce

Old May 9th 04, 02:17 AM
Yoj

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

Sherry wrote:

[...]

You would have gotten along well with my late husband. He was always
wanting to go for a ride. Sometimes we enjoyed it, but often he would
keep driving long after the rest of us were sick of riding in the car.

Joy