[OT] Maybe things are looking up

Old June 16th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Maybe things are looking up

"Yowie" wrote in message
wrote in message
They're worse on the DH front, but at least it looks like I've
recovered one of my "lost" friendships.

He came over last night and we talked for four or five hours, even
stuff from years ago (we've known each other half my life). Worked
through a lot, got very honest about a lot, and it looks like we are
very solidly dear friends once again. He is going to help me through
some of this divorce stuff, too, whatever he can, whenever he can. I
am so grateful. Friends make all the difference, and to almost have
lost one had me so depressed I just about gave up on life.

And so today I follow in Yowie's footsteps, and begin to take
antidepressants. I hope they will help me through this time, give me
more energy, and help my outlook. I really, really hate going this
route, but when your pulmonologist's intern thinks you should be on
antidepressants, I guess it's way past time to give it a try.

There is *nothing* wrong with taking anti-depessants. The best side effect
for me was being able to sleep. I am a light sleeper at the best of times,
and when I'm worrie dor upset, my mind will go over and over whatever it
is that sbugging me and I don't sleep. The anti-depressants gave me my
slep back, and that in itself made thigns alot better.

What they did for me is simply stop that "overwhelmed and helpless"
feeling - allowed m to keep functioning without going seriously nuts (and
I needed to keep functioning for Cary's sake if nothing else).

I'm no longer taking them now, because life has settled down, and I'm
getting more sleep. But I have *no idea* what I would have done for those
6 months when I was takign them. I'd call them lifesavers in more ways
than one.

You're going through so much turmoil right now, I'd be surprised if
*anyone* could cope wihout anti-depressants. They don't turn you into a
zombie, rather, they just take the edge off the stress and worry so you
can through the rough patch. You may not need them forever, but my
goodness do they help when you do.

Don't feel ashamed, that would be like being ashamed of a your cast on a
broken leg or -as someone else put it - taking insulin for diabetes. The
certainly can't rectify the problems hat Real LIfe has thrown at you, but
what hey can give you is the emotional stability to deal with those
problems appropriately rahter than them becoming all-consuming.

Just to try to put "anti-psychotic" medications in perspective. I take
Paxil. I've taken some sort of anti-depressant off and on for decades. At
first I took them to deal with a few deep depressions. And always quit when
the gloom lifted.

Then I learned that I didn't get migraines when I took them. I consider
prevention of migraine a major advantage. Hardly consider wanting to avoid
migraine an issue of sanity.

A couple of years later, the medical community caught up and decreed that
they sometimes work to thwart migraines.

As time went on, I developed Rheumatic Arthritis. After a few years, I was
unable to tolerate anti-inflammatory medication. And I've never been able
to tolerate narcotic pain killers. They make me hyper and keep me awake for
days on end. But anti-depressants have also been shown to provide pain
management.

Back again to my good friend Paxil at a somewhat higher dose. In addition
to relieving depression, it keeps me from getting migraines and also serves
as a pain management device.

Trust me, what it is doing is physical, not "just" psychological.

Jo

Old June 16th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:17:40 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

I really don't know why people resist taking anti-depressants when
they need them. It should be viewed the same as a diebetic taking
insulin - there's something your body needs to function properly and
you shouldn't hesitate to take it. There is (or should be) no
stigma in needing to adjust the chemistry of your body when it is
out of whack.

I'll second that! Taking anti-depressants isn't a sign of weakness.
It's just another medication to fix chemical imbalances. And I know
that when I went off antidepressants for a year or so I REALLY felt
it. When your brain isn't getting the right balance of norepinephrine
or serotonin or whatever other chemicals are involved, you can sure
feel it.

I am so frustrated. My mom is in Germany right now, visiting her
sisters for a month. Her older sister, Inge, seems to be suffering from
depression quite badly. My mom first told me about this about 6 months
ago, when she found out from talking to Inge on the phone. At that
point I wrote to my mom and told her to tell Inge to get to a doctor and
get on anti-depressants. My mom wrote back a huffy email saying that
that is certainly not necessary and all Inge needs is to get out there
and get more exercise (my mom's answer to everything).
I wrote a few more emails but they all got ignored and so I stopped.
Now I got an email a few days ago from my mom saying that she was only
able to stay with Inge for a few days and then had to move onto her
other sister's place, because staying with Inge was so stressful because
of how depressed she is. I wrote another, very long and detailed email
all about depression and what it really is and how medication would help
and it wouldn't necessarily be for life, etc.
I told my mom that it's been going on long enough and if Inge doesn't
commit suicide soon, then even if she continues to live, her life won't
feel much worth living. Get her to a doctor!
My email got completely ignored :-( I don't know if this is just their
stubborn German-ness or what but I'm getting really mad about this.
It's not like I can even just contact Inge myself, I have no details on
her phone, email or address and I'm sure my mom won't give it to me
because she knows what I would talk to her about and she wouldn't want
to get in trouble for telling me Inges personal problems. Grrrr!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 16th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm so glad to hear that, Ginger-lyn. And I'm sure you will begin to
feel much better in just a couple of weeks of taking the
anti-depressants. Hugs and purrs,
--
[...]

Wish me luck!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)

Old June 16th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I don't even know where my iron is - or even if I still have one! If it
doesn't come out of he dryer in a wearable state, it simply doesn't get
worn.

I have an iron, and an ironing board! I use them to press fabric and
seams when I sew. That's usually the last time they get touched
by an iron.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old June 17th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The light at the end of the tunnel is warm sunshine. Rumors not
withstanding.

Hang in there, do your best, and leave to the diety of your choice to
do everything else.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
[...]

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....mmer/index.htm
(genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Old June 18th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 15 Jun 2006 23:54:01 GMT, wrote:

Yowie wrote:

There is *nothing* wrong with taking anti-depessants.

I wonder if Ginger-Lyn was hesitant about anti-depressants not
because of stigma, but because they're not an especially holistic
way to treat depression? Maybe it's not about shame, but about
the fact that she'll be putting very strong chemicals into her
system. I think that's something to think about pretty seriously.

A very large number of people take SSRI anti-depressants, myself
included. I'm really glad I do, because I am far more stable with
them than without them. But sometimes I wonder what the long-term
effects will be. Over the past few years, my memory has really
declined, and it used to be *excellent*. It could be due to
menopause, but maybe it's the A/Ds. Am I giving myself brain
damage??

Joyce

Joyce, you're pretty close.

There's a number of reasons I was hesitant, from feeling that, as a
culture, the US tends to overmedicate (which is not to say that many
meds are lifesavers for many people, including antidepressants), to
knowing that my own body tends to be sensitive to chemicals. I am
already on six meds for my asthma/emphysema/COPD, anxiety, allergies,
and acid reflux, so adding a seventh is serious for me. I would love
to not be on *any* meds, but I have resigned myself to the fact that,
at the very least, I will always need my inhalers. I hope I will not
always need the others.

I wish I knew the answer to your questions, Joyce, but I don't. I
have no idea what the long-term effects might be, either. I can tell
you one thing, though -- it is very common in perimenopause/menopause
to have memory lapses, and from what I hear, it does improve
eventually. At least I *hope* so (since I have the same problem!).

Ginger-lyn
couldn't post yesterday because the Zoloft makes me really dizzy.
Today is better, so I guess my body is getting used to it.

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old June 18th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Maybe things are looking up

But sometimes I wonder what the long-term
effects will be. Over the past few years, my memory has really
declined, and it used to be *excellent*. It could be due to
menopause, but maybe it's the A/Ds. Am I giving myself brain
damage??

Joyce, I believe it. Pre-2004, I had a photographic memory. I still
do, but now there's a big hole in it.

If I pick an item up off the shelf at the store and walk right away to
the checkout, by the time I get there, I will have forgotten the price.
Usually I can guess the numbers but they are all mixed around (like
4.29 vs 2.49, or $32 instead of $23.)

To get to my classes at school, I had to write the numbers down inside
my textbook. If I forgot the textbook I couldn't find the
classroom--even if someone told me the number, I couldn't remember it
long enough to find the room.

I don't know if it was the Effexor, the depression, or the surrounding
neuro damage (like whatever happened that made my left hand go numb for
eight months) but I am not what I used to be, and I'm only 28.

--Fil

Old June 18th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The Effexor did the same thing to me and to my daughter. That is one drug
that I *would* like to see them take off the market. They are prescribing
it for too many things, not just depression (they gave it to me for my
Fibromyalgia!) - and not only are the side effects dangerous, but the
withdrawals are killer!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped