Poll: cat's a talkers or not

Old January 16th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Default Poll: cat's a talkers or not

Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Cinnamon and Abby talk more than Samwise. They all have something to say
when I'm getting there food ready.

Cinnamon and Abby will talk to me when they want attention or to go out on
the enclosed porches. I can usually tell which of the girls is talking even
if I'm not in the room with them but, not always.

The other day I had just fed the cats and they were in seperate rooms.(
They are seperated when they eat) with doors closed . I was in the
livingroom with Cinnamon and heard Abby in the kitchen. She sounded just
like Cinnamon. I had to be sure what cat was in the room with me.

Ann

Ann

Old January 16th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default cat's a talkers or not

"Ann" wrote in message
Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Cinnamon and Abby talk more than Samwise. They all have something to say
when I'm getting there food ready.

Cinnamon and Abby will talk to me when they want attention or to go out on
the enclosed porches. I can usually tell which of the girls is talking
even if I'm not in the room with them but, not always.

The other day I had just fed the cats and they were in seperate rooms.(
They are seperated when they eat) with doors closed . I was in the
livingroom with Cinnamon and heard Abby in the kitchen. She sounded just
like Cinnamon. I had to be sure what cat was in the room with me.

None of the present clowder are big talkers but will respond when talked to.
Bandit used to complain every time I stuck a camera in her face.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Ann

Ann

Old January 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Ann wrote:
Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you
and talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Persia's a talker. She has a raspy voice most of the time. She'll sit and
talk to me as if she's sharing very important state secrets (for all I know,
she is).

Jill

Old January 16th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ann wrote:

Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Oh, great topic!

Smudge and I have conversations sometimes. I will say "Smudgie!" at
her, and she'll meow. I'll say "Smudgie!" again, and she'll meow again.
That will go on a few times, and then, just to mess with her head,
I'll suddenly say something different, and she'll remain quiet. Is she
puzzled by the change? Or does she think that only "Smudgie!" requires
a response? Who knows?

She also meows to go outside. But she's not nearly as loud nor insistent
as she used to be. Ever since the mysterious bop on the head (about 2
months ago), she hasn't been as demanding. She still loves to go out,
but if I don't let her, she's more likely to just give up and go lie
down, although occasionally she'll get a hair across her butt and scream
to go out. (And jump to the window to mess up the mini-blinds in her
frenzy to look out. My guess is that one of her rivals is skulking
around.)

Licky will "mew" at me when he wants attention. His cry is very
plaintive and forlorn-sounding, as though he hasn't had any attention
in years. It sounds heartbreaking! Generally, what he wants is to be
petted. That's not always so easy to do, because he keeps himself as
far away from me as he can while being close enough so that, if I
reach out toward them such that I need to contort myself into an
uncomfortable position, I can *just* reach him. Only when I'm sitting
at the computer will he actually jump up and cuddle.

Roxy's not much of a talker, because she doesn't have much of a voice.
But occasionally I'll get a squeaky "pip" from her, especially when it's
mealtime. Sometimes she'll squeak at me when she wants me to pet her -
this is particularly true when I've just come home. She's adorable when
I first walk in the door, and will stand up on her hind legs for head-to-
hand bumps, several times. She'll follow me around, and when I look at
her, she'll emit a squeak and then sit looking up at me expectantly.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 16th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Lily will never let me have the last word. Everytime she says
something and I answer she will always answer back. The
only time she stops is when I stop answering her.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old January 17th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Charleen Welton wrote:
Is a talking
cat an offshoot of socialization when the cat was a kitten or a trait
of the individual cat?

I don't know anything about Persia's first 2 years. I think she's naturally
a talker. The vet guessed she is part Siamese (known for being chatty).
She's got that raspy meezer voice and I suspect she always had to tell
everyone what's what.

She's demonstrative, too. She gives me kitty kisses in the form of light
bites on the arm and elbow when I'm reading. She taps me on the nose (I
suspect mostly to make me laugh). Tapping me on the nose at 4AM won't get
her fed... tapping me at 6AM and gently biting me on the chin will!).

Jill

Old January 17th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:23:43 -0500, Ann wrote:

Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Four of my fifteen are talkers ... and lickers - all the lickers are
talkers and all the talkers are lickers. The three Walsung red tabbies
all sound rather alike, but Fluffy has her own vocabulary.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old January 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Ann" wrote in message
Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Cinnamon and Abby talk more than Samwise. They all have something to say
when I'm getting there food ready.

Cinnamon and Abby will talk to me when they want attention or to go out on
the enclosed porches. I can usually tell which of the girls is talking
even if I'm not in the room with them but, not always.

The other day I had just fed the cats and they were in seperate rooms.(
They are seperated when they eat) with doors closed . I was in the
livingroom with Cinnamon and heard Abby in the kitchen. She sounded just
like Cinnamon. I had to be sure what cat was in the room with me.

Suki hollers at the top of her lungs when she wants something - mostly food,
but attention also. I think she yells so loudly because she's deaf and can't
hear the racket she's making. If hte meows don't get immediate attention,
she starts using claws. I, as an adult, understand why she's doing this, but
I have to discourage it as Cary *doesn't* understand whats going on.

Pickle, on the other hand, has the quietest little 'mi' for a meow, but has
a number of trills, mrrps and 'mi's. Mostly, again, to do with food, but
there's also a greeting trill and a few others I haven't figured out yet.

Shmogg wasn't much of a conversationalist either, but he'd let me know what
he was on about. His favourite topic was of course, food, but there were
various other thigns he'd tell me. I mostly understood the various trills
mrrps and loud meows he had. The Howl, in his last two or three months, was
heartbreaking and was one of the main reasons I knew it was time for him to
find a less painful place.

Yowie
Oh, please note, that whilst I know that at some point in 'her' life Suki
was an intact tom (accordign to her vet records), for the life of me she
just seems female. Whilst Pickle is a neutered male and acts like a male in
my mind, I think Suki must have had a full sex change operation (I haven't
ever seen any evidence for her ex-tom status) and I'm just going to refer to
her as female from now on. It makes me writing about her much easier as I
will no longer have to go back and correct for gender. As far as I can tell,
she's a spoilt princess with a big foofy princess tail and has the big blue
eyes like a snowy princess should. Therefore, no matter what the stupid vet
card says, in my mind, she's a girl. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Old January 17th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 16, 4:23*pm, "Ann" wrote:
Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Cinnamon and Abby talk more than Samwise. They all have something to say
when I'm getting there food ready.

Cinnamon and Abby will talk to me when they want attention or to go out on
the enclosed porches. I can usually tell which of the girls is talking even
if I'm not in the room with them but, not always.

The other day I had just fed the cats and they were in seperate *rooms.(
They are seperated when they eat) with doors closed . I was in the
livingroom with Cinnamon and heard Abby in the kitchen. She *sounded just
like Cinnamon. I had to be sure what cat was in the room with me.

Ann

Ann

--
read Sam's blog athttp://kittens-3.blogspot.com/

Rusty is a very quiet cat. When I first adopted him years ago, it was
days before I first heard a meow out of him. Hasn't changed a bit over
the years.
He got very vocal on trips to the vet that I got stared at. Once the
vet said he could hear Rusty before we entered his clinic. But once
inside, he would be quiet again.
The vet's cat tried to get him in a conversation, but Rusty just
ignored him.

Winnie
Old January 17th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ann" wrote in message
Are your cats talkers or are they quiet? Do they come looking for you and
talk to you? Do they sound different or the same?

Cinnamon and Abby talk more than Samwise. They all have something to say
when I'm getting there food ready.

Cinnamon and Abby will talk to me when they want attention or to go out on
the enclosed porches. I can usually tell which of the girls is talking
even if I'm not in the room with them but, not always.

The other day I had just fed the cats and they were in seperate rooms.(
They are seperated when they eat) with doors closed . I was in the
livingroom with Cinnamon and heard Abby in the kitchen. She sounded just
like Cinnamon. I had to be sure what cat was in the room with me.

Ann

Lindy is a big talker, especially regarding food. She tells me when it's
time to go out to the kitchen to feed them. If I tell her that it isn't
time yet, and show her that I've set the timer, she will go away. Sometimes
she comes and tells me a couple more times. She shows up immediately when
the timer goes off, and tells me all the way to the kitchen that it's time
for dinner. When I start the preparations, Nanki-Poo shows up and she says
something to him. I don't think I want to know what it is. She will come
to me when I'm in bed and yell at me until I pet her. If I stop, she says
something, and keeps doing that until she's had enough. If I get up in the
night and dislodge her getting back into bed, she lets me know about that,
too.

Nanki-Poo doesn't talk nearly as much, but he squeals when he's playing.

Joy

Poll: How many.... Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 12 October 30th 07 01:02 AM
Poll, mostly OT, but could be . . . whatever. tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 16 October 8th 07 06:01 PM
New Poll Tanada Cat anecdotes 11 December 3rd 06 08:29 PM
please end the please end the poll thread Jim Lawton Cat health & behaviour 1 February 16th 05 04:18 PM
What Do you do? A Poll Tanada Cat anecdotes 296 January 29th 05 05:53 PM