Cat with liver problems

Old May 10th 04, 05:28 PM
Angela

Default Cat with liver problems

Ugh, don't you just hate when you take your cat to the vet only to find that
she has a totally unrelated problem???

She has elevated liver values. We are waiting in limbo to find out what is
going to happen with her. She also turned out to have elevated thyroid values
so she's on tapazole.

Since Easter Sunday, she has lost weight, and is vomiting at least once every
other day. She was on antibiotics but they were making her really ill, so we
stopped all the pills. She was basically just sorta "there", but started to
perk up again. We made the decision to try the tapazole again and have now been
giving it to her for the past 2 weeks.She is still wobbly, and still very out
of it. She is going back to the vet this week to be checked. I am not sure if
we are bringing her home or not.

She's started eating on her own again which was why we restarted the pills, she
hadn't been eating. Just hiding and ignoring life. She now is not really
drinking. She sits in front of the water dish, so we tried offering her
different water. Same thing. Then, this am, she got into the wet tub and was
licking water off the floor of it. She was sopping wet on her underside when
she got out! She fell partly into the toilet the other day as well, not a clue
what she was doing, she NEVER goes near the toilet. She is not dehydrated when
we do a skin check.

It's very bizarre, and it's heart breaking. We are losing her, we know it, but
it's just getting to the point of when do we call it, and let the vet help her
across the bridge? She is still interested in some stuff, she sleeps a lot, and
seems senile, but after I pill her she goes to the kitchen for a few licks of
wet food. She is no longer hiding in dark spaces like she was right after she
got so sick.

I am at a loss, part of me wants to allow her to go, the other half thinks it's
too soon. The horrible part is we go on vacation for a week after Memorial day.
She'll have to stay at the vet's office because I am afraid that if she starts
crashing, a pet sitter might not realize it. I am terrified she will die when
we are gone, alone with strangers, adn I have no choice but to go. I say this
is a vacation, but it's business mixed in, and I HAVE to go..I obviously can't
take her with us. (hmmm, could I??)

I knew she was getting old, she will be 16 in July, but she's done so well
health wise her entire life.

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.
Old May 11th 04, 07:38 AM
Phil P.

"Angela" wrote in message
Ugh, don't you just hate when you take your cat to the vet only to find

that
she has a totally unrelated problem???

She has elevated liver values. We are waiting in limbo to find out what is
going to happen with her. She also turned out to have elevated thyroid

values
so she's on tapazole.

More than 75% of hyperthyroid cats have increases in two liver enzymes and
more than 90% have increases in at least one liver enzyme - probably due to
the direct toxic effects of thyroid hormones on the liver. Liver enzymes
usually return to normal when their hyperthyroidism is managed successfully
and cat's T4 levels return to normal.

Have your cat's liver function retested after her T4 levels come down to
normal.

Good luck,

Phil

Old May 11th 04, 06:43 PM
dgk

On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:38:08 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Angela" wrote in message
[...]

Phil, on the liver issue, could you take a look at the post Jackie
Update? Jackie has normal T3 but T4 is 6.9. No liver enzymes were
done. Apparently they can't get more blood so we have to wait for a
few weeks.

Old May 12th 04, 09:06 PM
Johnny Comelately

op (Angela) wrote in message ...
[...]

Giving a cat alcoholic beverages to drink will cause serious liver
problems. Euthanize the cat. It is in a lot of pain. 9 out of 10 cats
prefer death over extreme pain. If your cat can admit it is an
alcoholic, thats the first step to recovery. Maybe try AA.

J.C.

Old May 28th 04, 09:36 PM
jamie

Angela wrote:
Ugh, don't you just hate when you take your cat to the vet only to find that
she has a totally unrelated problem???

She has elevated liver values. We are waiting in limbo to find out what is
going to happen with her. She also turned out to have elevated thyroid values
so she's on tapazole.

Elevated liver enzymes are not necessarily a liver problem, but often
a symptom of infection or other disease that's not actually harming
the liver.

She sits in front of the water dish, so we tried offering her
different water. Same thing. Then, this am, she got into the wet tub and was
licking water off the floor of it. She was sopping wet on her underside when
she got out! She fell partly into the toilet the other day as well, not a clue
what she was doing, she NEVER goes near the toilet. She is not dehydrated when
we do a skin check.

This fascination with the water dish, tub, and toilet might mean a kidney
problem or diabetes. My diabetic cat had started camping out in front
of the water dish before he was diagnosed, and also lapped water from
the tub. Some kidney problems can be a side effect of hyperthyroid.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."