Cat Diet using Kitten Food?

Old May 11th 04, 04:15 PM
Steve G

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...
(...)

No black helicopters here, even though you seem to be looking for some. Once
the research is published in a journal, then perhaps you'll be convinced?

Once I've read it, perhaps. (Or if I saw it summarised / cited in a
source I trust).

(...)

Nobody is asking you to. Where do you come up w/ this stuff?

Right here, buddy.

Like I said, it
hasn't been published yet, so of course there is no journal.

Well, presumably they submitted it *somewhere*, so hopefully there is
a journal...

You didn't ask
for details, so I didn't provide any. IIRC, Apparently 75% of the overweight
cats in the study reached their ideal weight within 20 weeks on Feline m/d.
They did that all while maintaining a healthy liver and maintaining lean body
mass.

Let's see if the efficacy is greater than Mr A. N. Other's diet,
matched for calorie content...

(...)

You can feel free to hold whatever crazy beliefs you want, but don't put
words into my mouth.

I wouldn't do that. The words wouldn't fit there.

You insinuated that I didn't know what I was talking about.

Stated, I prefer.

gave you the info, now the ball's in your court (a little American lingo for
you there).

A little tennis lingo actually, old bean.

Feel free to discard it or do what you want with it. I know
you're not really interested anyway, you just like to argue for argument's
sake.

Oh, I'm interested. The argument is just a bonus.

Toodle pip,
S.

Old May 28th 04, 09:01 PM
jamie

GAUBSTER2 wrote:
Science Diet CANNED kitten food was sometimes prescribed in the past for cats
that needed a high protein, low carb alternative. Nowadays, Prescription Diet
m/d (from Hill's) is a better option as it is clinically proven to alter a
cat's metabolism for weight loss (similiar to the Atkin's Diet). I don't
believe that the "dry" kitten food is considered appropriate for weight loss!

The dry kitten food isn't particularly low carb, and it's very high in
calories. It sounds like someone mistook a recommendation for canned
kitten food for dry.

The Hills m/d is still higher in carbs than many canned foods, and IMO,
somewhat overly high in protein and somewhat low in fats, although the
Purina DM prescription lowcarb dry is even more off in that respect.
When carbs are not the major energy source, fats have to be the major
energy source, and if the food is too high in protein and lower in fats,
excess protein is broken down into glucose, making it not so good for
diabetic kitties. I've read in a few places that the wild feline diet
is about 5 to 10 percent of calories as carb, about 35 percent protein,
and about 55 to 60 percent fat. A lot of canned foods come a lot closer
to this than the Hills m/d and Purina DM.

There are tables on the nutrition profiles of
canned and dry cat foods he
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html

My vet recommended canned kitten food as a lowcarb diet, when my
12-year-old was diagnosed diabetic in January. The vet started him on
Science Diet canned kitten food, and I switched both cats to it (They'd
been on various Science Diet dry all their lives, on the opinion of my
vet when they were young that a premium dry would be better for their
teeth than canned).

They both took to it for a few days, but then it seemed like they were
avoiding eating it until they were starving, so I switched to Iams canned
kitten food, which they like better.

After a few days, the diabetic cat was staying in normal blood glucose
range on the canned kitten food, without any insulin. The other cat
(16 years) had been pretty chubby since he turned 12, and he slimmed
down quite a lot on the new diet -- so much so that I took him for a
checkup to make sure it was only the diet.

Incidentally, in the past I had tried Science Diet Light and Science
Diet Senior dry, and on both of those, by the end of a large bag both
cats had visibly gained weight and acquired bad dandruff, so they went
back on the regular.

They still beg for crunchies, and two tablespoons of Science Diet dry
kitten food as an evening snack was enough to push the diabetic's blood
sugar up well above normal, and he started drinking/peeing/eating too much
again, so I had to cut it out. I might try the lowcarb dry on them as
an evening snack when he's more stable, I might not. The local animal
hospital that sells both the Hills and Purina lowcarb dry says that cats
like the flavor of the Purina better.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."