Newsgroups, ot

Old June 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ollie2

Default Newsgroups, ot

I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the last
couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from July
1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal september,it
is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try to get messages
from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I will be unable to get my
newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has made
the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I might have to
find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any suggestion as to
another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Old June 27th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lois[_2_]

"ollie2" wrote in message
I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the last
couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from July
1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal september,it
is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try to get messages
from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I will be unable to get
my newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has made
the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I might have
to find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any suggestion as
to another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Hi Bev,

I thought you said you couldn't get any news groups or have you got it
sorted now? Mine seems to be working OK.

Purrs

Lois

Old June 27th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

ollie2 kirjoitti:
I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the last
couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from July
1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal september,it
is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try to get messages
from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I will be unable to get my
newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has made
the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I might have to
find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any suggestion as to
another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

Some people use a news server called news.aioe.org. It was off for a
while, but I think it should work now.
And then there's always news.individual.net for 10 Euros per year...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 27th 09, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Christine BA kirjoitti:
ollie2 kirjoitti:
[...]

Yup, it works. Posting this one via news.aioe.org... (I have it as a
back-up, should my ISP be down)

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 27th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

ollie2 wrote:
I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the
last couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from
July 1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal
september,it is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try
to get messages from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I
will be unable to get my newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has
made the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I
might have to find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any
suggestion as to another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

--

If you can't get it to work try, news.aioe.org it's free and you don't need
to register.

Old June 27th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

"ollie2" wrote in
:

I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the
last couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from
July 1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal
september,it is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try
to get messages from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I
will be unable to get my newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has
made the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I
might have to find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any
suggestion as to another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

I had a problem until I entered my username and password into the
newsreader's (xnews) settings, then all was ok. There's a newsgroup called
motzarella.support which you can access even without switching. There
others are asking for help with their problems. If all else fails, use
aioe.org

Bobble
Old June 27th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"ollie2" wrote in message
I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the last
couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from July
1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal september,it
is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try to get messages
from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I will be unable to get
my newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has made
the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I might have
to find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any suggestion as
to another server? This is so annoying.

Use news.individual.net.
They provide a good news service for 10 euros/year and are alert all the
time for disgusting posts which I never see as they delete them.

Old June 27th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christine BA" wrote in message
Christine BA kirjoitti:
ollie2 kirjoitti:
[...]

aioe works if you don't want to post often.

Old June 28th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ollie2

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:34:59 +1200, "ollie2" wrote:

I have been using news2.motzarella.org to get rec.pets etc. for the last
couple of years but now they have decided to change their name to
news.eternal-september.org. They will discontinue the old name from July
1st. I have followed their instructions to shift to eternal september,it
is downloaded as are the newsgroups. However when I try to get messages
from my newsgroups, nothing happens. This means I will be unable to get
my
newsgroups after 1st July.
My friend Lois, who uses the same server has had no problems and has made
the change OK. Does anyone else use Motzarella? I guess I might have
find another server if I can't manage the switch. Any suggestion as to
another server? This is so annoying.

Bev

Server news.eternal-september.org is working for me fine over here. Can
you try telnetting into it to see if it's a Usenet reader config problem
vs. a server problem? Try this at a command prompt:

Type the command "telnet news.eternal-september.org 119" (without the
quotes) and hit enter. You should see the response:

200 eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready
(posting ok)

Type the command "authinfo user" (without the quotes) followed by your
username on the server and hit enter. You should get the response:

381 Enter password

Type the command "authinfo pass" (without the quotes) followed by your
account's password on the server and hit enter. You should get the
response:

281 Authentication succeeded

Type "quit" (without the quotes) and hit enter to log off the Motzarella
server. If you can successfully login using a telnet window, then your
newsreader client may need to be tweaked.
--
mers
Craig, Kathi & "Cat Five" the tabby girl

I wrote to the Motrzarella people and here is their reply. "you seem to
have changed the name in your existing client configuration rather than
creating a new configuration for new.eternal-september.org."

I thought I had created a new configuration, help!!! Perhaps I need to be
taken by the hand and go through the configuration step by step. Talk
about dumb when it comes to this sort of thing, lol.

Thanks for your replies folks. You will see higher up that I have been
able to use AIOE so will still be able to post without motzarella. However
Motzarella have been good to use and I would like to continue with them.

Old June 29th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ollie2

wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:04:35 +1200, "ollie2" wrote:

I wrote to the Motrzarella people and here is their reply. "you seem to
have changed the name in your existing client configuration rather than
creating a new configuration for new.eternal-september.org."

I thought I had created a new configuration, help!!! Perhaps I need to
be
taken by the hand and go through the configuration step by step. Talk
about dumb when it comes to this sort of thing, lol.

Thanks for your replies folks. You will see higher up that I have been
able to use AIOE so will still be able to post without motzarella.
However
Motzarella have been good to use and I would like to continue with them.

I see from the headers in your message that your newsreader client is
Outlook Express. To change the server name, go to the menu bar and left
click once on "Tools" then left click once on "Accounts". It should
open a window where you see tabs named "All", "Mail", News" and
"Directory Service". Left double-click on the news service for
Motzarella to open the properties box.

From there you can change the display name of the server under the
"General" tab, but you must select the "Server" tab and change the
Server Name to news.eternal-september.org to actually change the
destination that Outlook Express contacts to get and post news. Click
OK to save the settings for the account, then click on Close to close
the accounts window. Synchronize the newsgroup and you should be good
to go.
--
mers
Craig, Kathi & "Cat Five" the tabby girl
"One way that you can tell that 'Mythbusters' has been in the area
is to look for shrapnel in the trees." - Jamie Hyneman

I've done all of the above in OE. Unfortunately all to no avail. Tools,
accounts, news, where eternal september is listed. Synchronize?
Frustration.
Thanks for your help.

Bev

COMCAST GETTING RID OF NEWSGROUPS Kyla =^. .^=[_2_] Cat community 5 October 4th 08 04:38 PM
newsgroups rich Cat health & behaviour 4 June 18th 08 08:05 PM
1: Cat Newsgroups David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 42 February 15th 07 07:58 AM
Newsgroups Bev Cat anecdotes 4 August 3rd 06 09:27 AM
Newsgroups GraceCat Cat anecdotes 5 November 28th 03 10:31 PM