"Best by" dates

Old July 8th 04, 01:27 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cathy

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:zQ%Gc.58014$rn1.512@okepread07...
How can you simply bet a cat's life on this. You may not think much of

your
life but I don't think cats should be made to suffer because you insist on
putting their lives at risk. They put expiration dates on cans for a

reason
but this seems to be lost on you.

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...
Most certainly - Since I have examined and tested canned foods that
are many many years past the expiration date I know whereof I speak.
Some years ago, (I won't bother to admit it has been multiple decades)
I was fed C-rations by the US Government that had been packaged over
20 years earlier in canned form. They tasted horrible - but they were
perfectly safe. My bet is they tasted horrible the day they were
canned so nothing much had really changed.

I have reviewed analyticals on canned foods that were over a decade
old, well beyond any expiration date. The nutrient values remained
within 10% of the original canning product. I have access to a
"library" of canned products going back to the early 50's. Unless the
seal is broken and some bacteria gets into the can, something you will
note in a "bulged" can lid and likely smell immediately when you open
it, the chance of any harm at all is extremely remote.

Old July 8th 04, 05:27 AM
jamie

Cat Protector wrote:
How can you simply bet a cat's life on this. You may not think much of your
life but I don't think cats should be made to suffer because you insist on
putting their lives at risk. They put expiration dates on cans for a reason
but this seems to be lost on you.

Are you the same weenie that was afraid your copier or scanner would
radiate your cat?

You can mention risking cats' lives 15 or 20 more times, but that
won't make it true with regard to canning. The expiration date is
for taste quality, not safety. The canned food would be safe for
years beyond the expiration date, it just won't taste as good.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old July 8th 04, 06:19 AM
Sherry

You can mention risking cats' lives 15 or 20 more times, but that
won't make it true with regard to canning. The expiration date is
for taste quality, not safety. The canned food would be safe for
years beyond the expiration date, it just won't taste as good.

Yes, that would be the same weenie. The same one who feeds his cats Special
Kitty. That's the real irony. Expired premium food is probably less harmful
than Special Kitty.

Sherry

Old July 8th 04, 06:41 AM
Cat Protector

I am not willing to bet my cats or another's health on that one. They put
dates on the cans for a reason. If canned food was safe for years beyond the
experation date then food companies would not put dates on them. Would you
give someone expired milk despite knowing it'd make them sick? If you are so
sure that the food will safe and are willing to ignore the dates then eat it
yourself instead of putting your cats at risk.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old July 8th 04, 07:29 AM

Cat Protector wrote:

If canned food was safe for years beyond
the experation date then food companies
would not put dates on them.

The dates put on the cans being discussed are NOT expiration dates. They
are "best used by" dates. The two terms are entirely different in their
meanings. When you continue to insist something is true without offering
any proof to back up your claim, and when the facts say otherwise, you
only succeed in looking like an idiot. This article excerpt might help
you see through the persistent fog that clouds your brain (and make sure
to note the sentence that says "Canned food as old as 100 years has been
found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe!"):

One of the most frequently asked questions about canned food is its
shelf life and "use-by" dates. The codes that are stamped on canned food
are manufacturers' codes that usually designate the date the product was
packaged. The codes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and usually
include coding for time and place of canning. Most manufacturers offer a
toll-free number to call for questions about canned food expiration
dates.

Remember, the code stamped on the can is when it was packaged. The
general rule of thumb is that canned food has a shelf life of at least
two years from the date of purchase. It is recommended that all canned
food be stored in moderate temperatures (75=B0 F and below).
Many canned products now have a "for best quality use by" date stamped
on the top or bottom of the can. "Expiration" dates are rarely found on
canned food.
Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of
processing.

Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two
years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of
color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food
commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on
the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned
food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75=B0
F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken
ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping
canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or
bulging, it is edible.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke