Are Natural Flea Drops Effective?

Old September 13th 04, 07:41 AM
Mike

Default Are Natural Flea Drops Effective?

Has anyone ever tried Farnam Gentle Touch flea drops for cats? The
package says it kills fleas naturally rather than using chemicals. The
active ingredients are citric acid and sodium lauryl sulfate. The
inactive ingredients are soybean oil, coconut oil, and glycerine. Each
tube is supposed to kill and repel fleas for up to one month. I tried
looking for some consumer reviews of this product but only found two.
One person said it didn't work and the other person said it worked
really well.

I've got some small (stray) cats who are loaded with fleas, and
Frontline, Advantage, and Program just aren't working. Actually, the
veterinarian said they've been having a lot of cases this year where
Frontline and Advantage haven't been working on the animals like they
have in the past. There's a few other similar products that I looked
at but they're way too expensive. The veterinarian suggested trying
natural flea solutions but really wasn't able to give me that much
information on what to use. I found some wonderful websites that have
lists of things to use but I'd really like to try the Gentle Touch
flea drops if they work. The problem with these cats are that they're
really small for their age and seem to be allergic to the flea bites.
I tried combing them with the flea comb but they don't like to be
combed on their underside near their private parts which is where all
the fleas seem to be hanging out.

Anyone have any opinions on these natural flea drops? They seem like
they'd be safe, but do they actually work?
Old September 13th 04, 08:56 AM
Kevin Krell

I did try this for awhile and it was reasonably effective. Found them
difficult to find in stock at the stores, though. Ultimately switched
to Advantage, and recently tried Frontline. Each seems to last only
about 2 weeks or less. Our cat seems to be a good groomer. Somehow
manages to scratch at the back of his head where the Advantage was
applied, then licks it off his foot.

Kevin

Old September 14th 04, 01:19 AM
Mary

Anyone have any opinions on these natural flea drops? They seem like
they'd be safe, but do they actually work?

I didn't have much luck with two types but I forget the names. Advantage
stopped working for my cats, skunks, squirrels and opossums this year so I
switched to Frontline which is working. I have one skunk who gets flea
allergies so it's real important. I also shampoo my baby skunks in kitten safe
flea and tick shampoo in the sink. Let them soak for 5 minutes and all the
fleas and ticks die, even in the nooks and cranies. Rinse well, let them dry
inside.

Old September 18th 04, 08:16 PM
Happybattles

(Mike) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I'm skeptical about this one... let's look at the active ingredients:

Citric Acid: Vitamin C
sodium lauryl sulfate: a foaming agent used in toothpaste, shampoo.
Soybean oil: good for frying
Coconut oil: helps keep your skin soft
Glycerine: The main ingredient in soap which keeps it from turning to
mush.

Looks to me like you could find the exact same thing in one of these
candle-shops which also sells soap, bath salts and lava lamps.

Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

Kudos to you for being kind to animals, but get yourself some
heavy-duty shirts and dip the cats in regular flea soap you can find
at Wal-Mart. Also, if you bring them inside you'll have to get an
Insect Growth Regulator to stop your personal infestation.

Try: alt.consumers.pest-control for more info.