OT question for scanner owners

Old November 1st 04, 12:09 PM
Helen Wheels

Default OT question for scanner owners

A question (well two really) for anyone who has a scanner - what's the
best way to clean the glass plate, and is there anything you can do to
prevent it from attracting every bit of loose dust, fluff and cat hair
in the house?

My brother just got a new scanner and kindly gave me his old one. It
works very nicely for me, but no matter how carefully I wipe it down I
seem to get nice images of bits of fluff in the middle of every photo.
On the bright side, I should be able to post a lot more kitty pics now I
can scan them myself.
Old November 1st 04, 02:14 PM
jmcquown

Helen Wheels wrote:
A question (well two really) for anyone who has a scanner - what's the
best way to clean the glass plate, and is there anything you can do to
prevent it from attracting every bit of loose dust, fluff and cat hair
in the house?

My brother just got a new scanner and kindly gave me his old one. It
works very nicely for me, but no matter how carefully I wipe it down I
seem to get nice images of bits of fluff in the middle of every photo.
On the bright side, I should be able to post a lot more kitty pics
now I can scan them myself.

Anti-static cloths. You can buy them just about anywhere they sell
computer-related supplies. There is also compressed air - literally spray
cans with a long straw attached that blow air to get gunk out of keyboards,
etc. They'll spray the fluff off in a jiffy.

NOTE: Compressed air is also great for getting dust out of the folds in
pleated lamp shades

Have fun with your scanner!

Jill

Old November 1st 04, 02:49 PM
JB

In ,
Helen Wheels shouted to everyone in earshot,
# A question (well two really) for anyone who has a scanner - what's the
# best way to clean the glass plate,

Windex glass cleaner works well for me.

# and is there anything you can do to
# prevent it from attracting every bit of loose dust, fluff and cat hair
# in the house?

hopefully Jill's suggestion of anti-static cloths does the trick for
you.

I actually found that I have to clean the "inside" side of my glass
plate from time to time, requiring me to undo all sorts of clips and
screws and pop the top off. it's not something I'm fond of doing, of
course, so I hope all your dust is on the outside. g

Jeff
--
j if the posting e-mail address stops | Burns: I don't have to take this abuse!
f working, look left and below. | Pierce: Oh, yes, you do, Frank. You
Old November 1st 04, 02:49 PM
JB

Old November 1st 04, 02:49 PM
JB

Old November 1st 04, 11:01 PM
Helen Wheels

jmcquown wrote:
Helen Wheels wrote:

[...]

Thanks - sounds like a trip to the computer shop is called for.