Cats behavior

Old May 12th 04, 03:16 PM
Erika

Default Cats behavior

I female cat lives with me, a few months ago she got pregnant and had
two beautiful male kitten. The kitten are 8 months old now, and still
live with me and their mom. Last night a foreign cat came to my home
and the mother got mad and attacked the intruder, which ran away, but
then the mom attacked her babies.

We separated them and a few hours later they were calmed. We joined
them again and they were like nothing happened. Later, in the morning
my fiance woke up and opened the door of the laundryroom to get a
towel and got in the shower leaving the door of the laundry room
opened (from this room the foreign cat got in the house). I was still
in bed, so no one knows what really happened, but the cats started to
fight again.

Is this behavior normal? is there anyway they can live together? or
the mom always fight her children so they leave the place? what can I
do so they can live in harmony?

I will appreciate all your advices. Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th 04, 04:16 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Mama needs to be spayed, so the intruder will not want to be in the house
(not to mention her two sons need to be neutered).

Sounds to me like transferred aggression. Mama attacks & fends of the
intruder, but then is still upset over his appearance, that she takes it out
on her sons.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

om...

Old May 12th 04, 04:22 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:16:04 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
yodeled:

Mama needs to be spayed, so the intruder will not want to be in the house
(not to mention her two sons need to be neutered).

Sounds to me like transferred aggression. Mama attacks & fends of the
intruder, but then is still upset over his appearance, that she takes it out
on her sons.

Who at 8 months old, should be neutered, too.

Theresa

Old May 12th 04, 06:15 PM
Steve Touchstone

On 12 May 2004 07:16:29 -0700, (Erika) wrote:

[...]

Just my guess, but it sounds like you haven't gotten them
neutered/spayed. Mom could easily be physically ready to mate again.
This would explain be why the intruder came inside, though of course
he could also have come looking for food. Also, the two boys are old
enough now to be thinking of girl kittys.

You'd be doing them all a favor if you get them neutered. IMHO, your
cats will be both healthier and happier. There are WAY to many cats in
the world who are euthanized because they can't find homes. If you
keep the boys and mom, without being neutered, you'll end up with more
litters, even if you succeed in keeping out strange toms, because they
will inbreed. Cats don't have the same reputation for breeding as, say
rabbits, but if left intact you could end up with a staggering number
of kittens this time next year.

As far as mom attacking the boys when she was agitated and mad about
the stranger, that happens. My Little Bit, who is normally very easy
going, will occasionally swipe at her daughter Sammy if they spot a
stranger through the window. They don't get in fights when that
happens, it's more like LB wants plenty of room in case she needs to
fight and run and hide if the stranger somehow comes through the
window. Since your stranger actually came inside the house, his scent
is probably still around, especially if he sprayed, and mom could get
agitated every time she smells him even though he hasn't come inside
again.

The good news is that, yes, they can live in harmony. Bad news is
that, if my guess is correct, and they are not neutered, chances are
not good.

One last point, I'm breaking one of my own, self-imposed, rules by
replying to your post. When you posted your question you posted it to
several groups. I really don't reply very often to cross posted
messages without restricting my post to the group I'm reading.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old May 12th 04, 09:19 PM
Johnny Comelately

I will appreciate all your advices. Thanks in advance.

Forget the neutering, your kittens are too young. Kill the foreign
stray, your cats will appreciate it. If you don't kill the stray the
mother may kill the kittens. Its kill or be killed world. Sad but
true.

J.C.

Old May 12th 04, 11:10 PM
Professor

"Johnny Comelately" wrote in message
m...
I will appreciate all your advices. Thanks in advance.

Forget the neutering, your kittens are too young. Kill the foreign
stray, your cats will appreciate it. If you don't kill the stray the
mother may kill the kittens. Its kill or be killed world. Sad but
true.

J.C.

Don't feed this troll.