another question-this time about getting a dog-thanks for the

Old July 25th 03, 03:54 AM
-L.

(Sherry ) wrote in message ...
The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...x.msnw?action=
ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7

Who says pound dogs aren't cute?

Aww!! Cute! "Better to hear with, my dear," sure comes to mind!

LOL...actually, the ears stayed the same size, and she somewhat grew
into them.

Befo (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...hoto&PhotoID=1

After: (age 5 years)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...oto&PhotoID=19

I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. Sigh

-L.

Old July 25th 03, 04:07 AM
Sherry

Befo (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...hoebox.msnw?ac

tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

After: (age 5 years)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...hoebox.msnw?ac

tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. Sigh

-L.

Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
very strong and muscled.

Sherry

Old July 25th 03, 06:35 PM
-L.

(Sherry ) wrote in message ...
Befo (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...hoebox.msnw?ac
tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

After: (age 5 years)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsComp...hoebox.msnw?ac

tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. Sigh

-L.

Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
very strong and muscled.

Sherry

Thanks. She's solid as a rock, and quick as a flash. I think she
may have some Bully in her or something. Her behavior is pure
Basenji, though.

-L.

Old July 25th 03, 06:53 PM
-L.

(kate) wrote in message . com...
(Sherry ) wrote in message ...
The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:

We are actually interested in basenji mixes or pure breeds. I met one
at the anti cruelty society here and it was difficult to conntrol on a
leash. Is that pretty typical? Do they get along with cats?

Basenjis (even my mix) are not for the feint of heart. They are
incredibly one-minded - hunt, hunt, hunt! While they like humans,
they aren't overtly social, and would much rather run up for a quick
pet, and then run back out to try to find something to kill, and are
always on the move. They are stubborn and resist training, but are
incredibly smart. My dog has never been a good leash walker - she
pulls and wants to hunt. It has taken much training to get her to
where she heels and is a pleasure to walk with.

Puppyhood was pure hell. She simply was too busy playing/hunting to
learn anything. She has (and still has) an attention span of about 3
seconds. The trainer said she was one of the "thickest nerved" dogs
he'd ever seen - her attention to prey and prey drive are incredibly
strong. That being said, she is incredibly affectionate when she
wants to be - she loves people and is attentive when she wants to be.
She also responds to voice commands well - when a prey item is not
within sight. She understands a number of commands, and in that
regard, she's a pleasure. She picked things up very quickly during
training, but putting them into practice was difficult for her - she
is always more interested in whether or not there was a bird or
squirrel to hunt. I have to work with her constantly, to remind her
of her skill package. .

She is dog-aggressive (which has been difficult to train out of her),
and will try to kill cats other than ours. She loves our cats,
though, and often times sleeps with one of them. One thing I should
warn you about is that Basenji hair is *impossible* to clean up after
- it is very fine, like eyelashes, and is nearly impossible to vaccuum
up - it is so light. And my dog sheds twice a year - a LOT! She
sheds like a horse - clumps come off, and she needs daily grooming
despite the fact that she licks herself clean all the time.

She is also oily-coated - we call her our "Little Grease Pig" and her
feet stink sometimes. I met one other Basenji owner who said their
dog was oily too, so it may be the breed. I can give her a bath and a
day and a half later, she's oily again.

Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she
hunts silently.

good luck,

-L.