The myth of the Siamese cat?

Old December 8th 03, 03:39 AM
Ablang

Default The myth of the Siamese cat?

Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

--
My cat's job is to look pretty, smell good, sleep, eat, pee, & poop, in
that order.
Old December 8th 03, 04:14 AM
William Berry

"Ablang" wrote in message
Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?

Hey Ablang,
I love Siamese Cats. The purebred one's can be a little strange, but then
those Cats also sell for big bucks. I had three Siamese Cats at one time and
I couldn't tell that they were anymore malevolent then any of my other Cats.
Besides, I think Siamese are so beautiful, there like fine hand-painted
china, no pun intended.
Seeya, William Berry, author of "Do You Hear The Cat Voices Singing? ISBN#
1-59113-445-5

Old December 8th 03, 07:12 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 02:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

I was adopted by a Siamese who was about two years old -- had her for
14 years. She was a traditionmal (applehead) Siamese and was the most
wonderful cat one could hope for. She talked to me and we understood
each other. She was not a lap cast, but was always close to me. She
like to keep me on schedule and always reminded me of the time. I
miss her. MLB

Old December 8th 03, 07:56 AM
-L.

Ablang wrote in message ...
Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

IME, usually, it is for medical problems, because they are "too vocal"
or seen as "aggressive". Siamese are prone to 19 different genetic
diseases. They are probably the most ill-bred breed available.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

I think Siamese are awsome cats, but again, the breed has become
ill-bred. They also take a certain kind of person to understand their
quirks. We see a lot of them in the shelters, but I think I,
personally, have experienced more surrendered Persians than Siamese.
Most of those are surrendered for behavioral issues, mainly secondary
to declawing.

-L.

Old December 8th 03, 08:55 AM
Linda Terrell

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 02:39:47 UTC, Ablang
wrote:

Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

Go to private breeders and get tradition, "applehead" Siamese.
These are the best of the breed. wonderful, loving cats,but
very quirky.

I love them.
Have 4 right now - 2 tortie points, one flame point kitten found in a
parking lot. Have had 8 over the years..

(I also have 4 other DSH)

LT

Old December 8th 03, 05:24 PM
David Stevenson

Meghan Noecker wrote
wrote:

Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

We have only had one that was difficult. He needed to be an only pet
as he was jealous of the other animals, both cats and dogs.

Overall, though, they are awesome. We currently have 3, and we have
had 5 others before, and my mom had a few more before I was born.

Basically, Siamese cats are very friendly, very vocal, and very much
want to be an active member of the family. They don't like to be
ignored. They are a bit more like dogs in the respect that they will
follow you around and participate in everything whether you want them
to or not. They aren't as aloof as many other cats.

We first got Ting RB when I was at school. Later I bought my mother
Suk RB as a present - though she had to come to us for her last few
years because of my mother's moves.

My wife and I have had Tao MIA - we only had him for a few months.
Then we got the twins, Pish RB and Tush RB. Tush RB died earlier, so we
got Quango RB, and Nanki Poo when Pish RB went. A couple of years ago
we lost Quango RB, and Minke came into our lives.

Naturally, all of them are Siamese - we would not have any other cat.
Nanki Poo is actually quiet. With Quango ageing so not too active we
forgot how loud a Siamese can be, and when Minke arrived he was the most
quiet sedate kitten imaginable. Now he is a year old he has forgotten
all that, cranked up the volume, and "the yowl" is back!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome