My tooth question.

Old January 15th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred Williams[_2_]

Default My tooth question.

Hihi Kitties,
I went to da TED's recently fur a checkup and I was furry healthy
exceptin da TED says I have a chipped tooth that he think should com
out. I think I'd be upset at loosin a tooth and feel lop-sided, but
Fred dusn't want me tu be in payne.
I sumtimes shake my head and Fred thot it wuz an ear problem, but now
he can't tell and I'm not sayin. Sumtimes I let him rub my cheek, but
not often on that side. I don't eat hard fuud, only the tinned variety
and we only get that in da morning and at night. I'm still a good
weight, altho I am the thinnest of the clowder in our house. I am
healtily svelt.
What do kitties think? Is it possible to have a chipped tooth and be
payne free, or am I showing signs of being in trouble. We kitties can
endure payne and not show it furry much, I know. Can you think of any
tests that might give Fred a clue about my condition? It's important
because I know he duzn't want me to suffer, but once the tooth is gone
nobody can put it back. It wood be a shame to make a mistake.

--
Regards,
Fred
Old January 15th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Her Royal Highness Cleopatra Silvercat[_2_]

What do kitties think? Is it possible to have a chipped tooth and be
payne free, or am I showing signs of being in trouble. We kitties can
endure payne and not show it furry much, I know. Can you think of any
tests that might give Fred a clue about my condition? It's important
because I know he duzn't want me to suffer, but once the tooth is gone
nobody can put it back. It wood be a shame to make a mistake.

It is possible to have a chipped tooth and not experience pain, depending
on the nature of the chip. The only way to tell for sure if a chipped
tooth is in need of extraction would be to do an xray of the tooth, and I
don't know how a human would manage that.

Cleo
Old January 15th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Booker

A chipped toof shud cum out. Ize da toof (or lak ov) expert in ar house.
Kittiez ar much better off wifout hurtin teef.

Snowflake

A chipped tooth could hurt on and off, depending on external factors. A
bit of cold air going over the tooth could set off the pain, for
example. Snowflake has very bad gingevitis (probably hereditary,
according to TED), and is much happier without many of her teeth.

Old January 15th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

My mother in law had a cat with a chipped tooth. It slowly lost weight and
kept rubbing its cheek against our hands. Has it been very long? Infection
is a thing to watch for too.

Old January 15th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
kraut

Hihi Kitties,
I went to da TED's recently fur a checkup and I was furry healthy
exceptin da TED says I have a chipped tooth that he think should com
out. I think I'd be upset at loosin a tooth and feel lop-sided, but
Fred dusn't want me tu be in payne.

If vet said it should come out and you trust him enough to go there I
think you should listen to him and take his advice!!

Old January 15th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

ted stealed one of mine big fangz anna now i duzint shake mine head animore,
OEJ, who thinkz maybe a sekund opinion mite bea gud idermint

Old January 16th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Lucy

Honeycat had a chipped tooth, and the vet said that judging from the
appearance of it, it would be nearly impossible for her to not be in pain.
We removed it and she became a lot more energetic and outgoing. I wish I had
done it sooner.

Julie

Old January 16th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred Williams[_2_]

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 17:38, Stormmee wrote:

ted stealed one of mine big fangz anna now i duzint shake mine head
animore, OEJ, who thinkz maybe a sekund opinion mite bea gud idermint

Yes, Diana shakes her head sometimes and you know the way cats rub
their cheeks on you, well she doesn't do that much and never on the
side with the chipped tooth. She will avoid my hand if I go to stroke
her there. It looks like that is what's bothering her. So I'll call
the TED and make the appointment.
Loosing a tooth seems like it would be hard on a cat, but we can't have
her in pain or risking infection. It's late and I must go now.

Old January 16th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

On Jan 15, 11:07*am, Fred Williams wrote:
[...]

The only thing I can tell ya, Fred, is that Onyx now gets gassed and
has his "toofz" cleaned by TED on a REGULAR basis. Of course, his
Grandmeowmie and Grandpaw only feed him wet food, which is one of the
biggest mistakes a pet owner can make, IMNSHO. THAT doesn't help
matters much at all, I feel.

Having said that about the wet food, I do realize that cats' and dogs'
teeth wear on as they grow older, much like adults' teeth do. With
some cats and some dogs, it doesn't matter if they get dry food,
exclusively, or wet food, exclusively... and there are dogs and cats
in this world who WILL NOT eat unless they are given the wet food.
It's as if they'd rather starve than eat the dry stuff (which I
personally don't understand, but whatever...) Some cats and some dogs
are just going to need regular dental work as they grow older, no
matter what or how you feed them or take care of their teeth at home.

Cats and dogs don't always demonstrate overt signs of being in pain
when they ARE in pain. I'd hate for a bad "toof" to fester until it
were an emergent situation and TED wound up having to take more
"toofz" than was necessary. Can't TED do dental x-rays (with a doped
up kitty, of course, otherwise they'd never come out clearly...), much
like a hooman dentist TED would do??

--- Cory